PDA

View Full Version : Answer recoil system

Liv2Hunt
03-19-2003, 08:21 PM
Anyone have experience with this brake/recoil pad system? I have a 300 WSM that weights 6.5 lbs loaded. Recoil is managable, but I was thinking of a recoil reduction system so my 13 year old nephew could use it for elk this fall.

MikeM
03-21-2003, 03:44 PM
At 6.5 lb. sounds like you have a great setup there. However you might want to rethink the break idea. I wouldn't want to be responsibe for giving a 13 year old a rifle that could, and more than likely would, permanently damage their hearing. Breaks are serious business. Although, some people appear to be able to tolerate them, you won't know until you touch one off and then the damage is done. And I wouldn't count on ear protection for someone that young.
Remington has a new recoil pad out this year built with the same material used to absorb bow vibration, but I haven't try it. There are also strap on recoil pads that you wear - I have a heavy one for sighting in guns but they do make light weight ones for hunting. My buddy used one for his children. Better yet, consider finding a 30 06, .308 or other suitable low recoil rifle to use. It may not be as nice a setup as you have but it will do the trick with proper bullet placement.
Mike

Danner
03-22-2003, 08:45 AM
I have a 300WSM with a Answer recoil pad and brake, the rifle is not a light weight, but it does not have any recoil or jump. But the noise is almost unbearable. I do not have much in the way of good hearing and after getting my deer and elk this year with it both times my ears were ringing and it does not go away for several hours. I went looking for turkey and did some glassing for deer and elk in the desert. Did a little coyote calling, on the hike back to the truck laid across my pack to do a little shooting at distant rock I will never leave little foam ear plugs out of my pack again. When you shoot laying across a pack, if theres any dirt you get a face full. I would invest in a good recoil pad and put up with a little felt recoil for all around hunting and shooting.

Kevin
03-22-2003, 08:50 AM
Would it not be cheaper and easier to simply load the 300 WSM down to 308 level? That's plenty for an elk, and recoil should be nothing.

Liv2Hunt
03-22-2003, 09:15 AM
Tbanks guys, I get the message. I don't have much hearing left myself and if brakes are that unbearable from the noise aspect, I will go another direction. I have a 700 mountain rifle in 7-08, which I believe is marginal for elk. But if you limit your range to 200 yds, and use the right bullet, it should be suitable for elk and my nephew.

shu
03-24-2003, 07:54 AM
If a 7 mag will kill elk to 500 yards, the 7-08 should certainly do it to 300... or out further than most should be shooting at elk.