PDA

View Full Version : 30 inches!!!!!!!

Patrick
03-18-2003, 07:44 PM
Hi all--

As I tap these words there are 30 inches of snow on the flats around the Smith household here on the flank of Green Mountain just south of Golden. And it's still snowing an inch an hour. Supposed to do that tonight and all day tomorrow. I've shoveled many, many tons of snow today, and am running out of places to put it. (Help!!!!!). The upside is that our drought is dented big-time. The downside is we may have some trouble getting Orders out for a while; neither UPS or the postman showed up today. Tomorrow is probably a goner too (and maybe the next day...and the next). In fact, there may not be anybody at Kifaru for a while--including us. We'll all be shoveling snow--or just watching it as we sip hot toddies in front of the fire. Ahhhh, but the Rockies are grand! I'd invite you all to Golden for a snow shoveling beer party, but there's no way you can get here! This thing could be big, really big. Anybody have any Storm Stories to share? Frankly, these events are a lot easier to deal with in the backcountry!

Patrick

Ed C
03-18-2003, 08:55 PM
Patrick

Sounds like a fun storm. You shouldn't invite people unless you want them to show up. A whacko like me might take that as a challenge, and fire up the old 4 wheel drive. Lets see I have chains, winches, jacks, chainsaw, shovels, a buddy down the road has a blade we can attach to the front. See you in Golden!

Ed

Sgathak
03-18-2003, 11:25 PM
I spent last night testing out my Bibler Bivy sack... slept out in that field behind the "Taj Mahal" (courthouse) they insist on putting the Golf Course in... Slept quite well, but was pretty shocked to sit up amoungst almost 11 inches of snow overnight.

Went for a walk out there tonight and was up to my thighs, 30 minutes later the dog needed to go out again and the tracks we made were GONE already and the snow was another 6 inches deeper (had to be some wind drift)

Cars in the Apt's parking lot are completly covered, and even if everything wasnt closed because of the snow, no one will be going anywhere for a while.

I love this weather.

Deathmachine
03-19-2003, 01:33 AM
30 inchs
WOW
Makes me glad I grew up in Texas.

The worst we got is Flurries that didn't survive hiting the ground.

Patrick
03-19-2003, 06:55 AM
Hello men--

Well, it's up to a cool three feet this morning, and still coming down. I was up at 5:30 watching the deer, who were plowing out trenches all around the house as they wandered around. A big one would break trail and the lesser ones would fall in behind. There is now a network of WWI--looking trenches all over the landscape. Our little Tibetan Spaniel (11lbs.) will have some places to explore--tho he can't see out of the trenches.

Ed, we have two 4WD's. I busted one out yesterday and made it to the Shop--as did everybody else at Kifaru to their credit. We were the only business in the whole area who were "open". The parking lot was empty except for our 4WD's. Sgathak: nice going with the bivy-sack test! That's the spirit, and yeah, I'm enjoying this a lot myself. Just think, if the electricity conks out I can set up a tipi (using SST pins!) right out back and move in!

Janice just called and reports she can't determine which lump of snow out in her condo parking lot represents her truck and so is going to bag it today. If I make it in I'll do so on cross-country skis. What a hoot! Ed, I think you'd have to use that blade for a hundred miles! The whole of the middle of Colorado is buried. And getting deeper buried by the hour. But if you do show up we'll roast some caribou in your honor!

Patrick

jdb3
03-19-2003, 07:22 AM
Sounds like all kinds of fun. We got 15 inches the other night but it warmed up and the rain took most of it away. We do have a pretty efficient snow removal team here though. Several winters ago we had 48 inches and the way I got rid of the 7 foot piles around the driveway was to get my snowshoes out and tramp it down. Hope that helps. Jim

pointer
03-19-2003, 07:50 AM
Patrick- Send some back west will ya!! We've gotten a few drizzles this week and some of the mtns have gotten 40", but it's still gonna be pretty dry in UT this year. Just think of the antlers those deer and elk will be growing with some good food this year!!!

Ed C
03-19-2003, 12:17 PM
Patrick

I was checking the oil in the 4wheel drive, when a buddy came by and suggested we go shoot bowling pins. That sounded like a good idea so we went and shot a hundred rounds apeice. Sure is a lot more fun than knocking them down with a ball. Now I have to go load or buy more ammo for Sunday match. So it might be a while before I get to Golden darn the bad luck it won't be near as challenging in good weather. Take care

Ed

Patrick
03-19-2003, 02:03 PM
Ed--

Thanks but I think we have matters under control. Say, is there a journeyman grade Snow Shoveler rating. I'm qualified now. Been at it all day today as well as yesterday. Old couple nearby...pregnant lady over yonder--me and neighbor Mark dug 'em all out. I need some aspirin and some whiskey! What are you whacking them pins with? S&W .50? (I knew you'd get one first!)

Patrick

Patrick
03-19-2003, 03:07 PM
More news just in--

My sister, who lives up a bit higher in the Front Range, just called to ask if I could come fetch her and daughter Leslie at the (we hope) plowed road a mile below her house in the morning. She and Leslie are supposed to fly to New York (whooeee)tomorrow to see some opera performances. Yep, we Mountain Folk have a modicum of culture, despite what you hear to the contrary. The reason I have to go get them, even though they have abundant 4WD vehicle resources just outside their door? They have 6 feet of snow outside the door, that's why! These two are going to snowshoe down to meet me, with thier luggage filled with New York-grade duds on a sled. Slick way to begin a trip to The Big Apple don't you think? (BTW, I'll keep the snowshoes for them...they really aren't taking them to NY). My sis is a class act. Nobody knows when they'll actually be able to fly out of DIA (Denver Int'l. Airport), but they are determined to camp out there 'til their flight manages to get airborn. Yep, class act. Mountain girls don't give up easy. I reckon all this adversity will make the performances in New York more memorable by far. Just like the Death March hunts we've all had--they are more memorable than the easy hunts, despite the "trophy" outcome.

Sgathak, any interesting Reports from your neck of Golden? The weather gurus say more snow tonight. All I have to do is somehow get to a remote county road south of Conifer in the morning. I'll have chains handy.

Patrick

03-19-2003, 03:19 PM
I used to work in the Conifer area, and it sounds like you might need treads more than chains. You might check with the good people at the Elk Creek Fire Department (the red roofed building across from Richmond Hill Road) on road conditions.

me
03-19-2003, 04:08 PM
Here in Utah the sun is shining, the birds are singing, the flowers blooming, and its about 60 degrees out. I didn't make it in to work either, ha ha ha.

We could sure use a storm like that.

Sgathak
03-19-2003, 04:17 PM
Reports of snow in the Englewood area south to Aurora and even harder down near the Springs tonight... we might get clipped by it. We're getting a little bit of micro flakes at the moment...

I went out and took some pictures... used my walking stick and a spetsnaz shovel for scale. I hope to get them posted tonight.

I found one spot that was deeper than 50 inches but didnt get a shot of it...

(edited cuz I cant type fer nuttin!)

Ed C
03-19-2003, 05:32 PM
Patrick

SpringfieldArmory .45acp longslide 6in. barrel. The 50S&W is next. Man you guys really got some snow. Sounds like it would be fun for one or two days then you want it to go away. We live on the salt water so we never get any snow to speak of. We have to go to the mountains hour and 30min. away to play in the snow. Works preety good that way. Spring is upon us the grass is growing and I bought a new fishing pole. You probably didn't want to here that. Also turkey hunting next month.

Keep diggin and keep the faith talk to you later. Good luck to everybody in Co.

Ed

gibbsmon
03-19-2003, 07:17 PM
just had to test the 8 man ultra yesterday. I'm in Nw denver. depite frequent shoveling, it survived. But it did turn into a 4 man. Pole was a little funky this morning, but quickly corrected with some shoveling/scooping around the edges. Its still a four man as i dug to the ground to set the stakes, yet the packed snow inside the tent level is about 6 or so inches. Only problem was i used a cookie sheet for a stove platform. it sunk about 2-3 inches into the already packed snow, seperating the pipe from stove. luckily as it was backyard camping, tinfoil fixed it till the morn. Bottom line, it survived. And so did my roofs. awesome storm!

Sgathak
03-19-2003, 07:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Spring is upon us the grass is growing and I bought a new fishing pole. You probably didn't want to here that </div></div>It was about 70deg on Sunday and had been gorgeous all week... then BLAMMO...

Sgathak
03-20-2003, 09:04 PM
Oh yea... its snowing again... whoohooo <---sarcasm

It only took me 3 hours to get my car out of the snow.

Ed C
03-21-2003, 07:01 AM
Hello All

I hope you guys are dug out by now. This storm caused me to ponder another question. What is the most snow you have ever encountered while hunting? If it can do this in the spring, what can it do in the fall? I have never hunted the rockies, but am planning on it. Good luck.

Ed