PDA

View Full Version : LED lights

Kevin
03-16-2003, 07:39 AM
I went in to spend my REI dividend, and found great progress in the new LED lights. First, the prices are dropping, always a good thing. Second, they're getting lighter and brighter. The Black Diamond Ion headlamp has 2 LEDs, a nominal 15 hour burn time, and weights one ounce! It's pretty bright, too, at least when I was out walking the dog last night.

I also picked up a Princeton Tec Impact II which is much brighter, and weighs 2.85 oz. It's supposedly bright enough to work to 50 yards, which is more than enough to keep from getting cliffed out, as Patrick puts it. It seems to be the equivalent of a mini mag light, but lighter and with a nominal 100 hr burn time.

There is also a Gemini light, combining a Xenon lamp with a LED, but at 5.3 oz, I thought I'd experiment with the other two first. I'm at 3.85 oz if I bring both with me.

Take a look, the technology is improving and getting cheaper. If you were skeptical about LEDs, the new ones are much better than even last year.

Ken
03-19-2003, 05:47 PM
Kevin- A friend of mine asked my opinion of a LED headlamp, a few weeks back, and I suggested the Xenon 3 LED as per Patrick...well, it was sound advice...he loves it! I already have the Tikka, so I think I'll replace my Mag-light with a Surefire, as I like my Tikka but could use more power from the handheld, plus they offer a blue filter which is supposed to help with following a blood trail. I don't see red well, so this could be a help. I'll be sure to report back on my findings. Well I guess the war has started...they just announced the Pres. will speak in 30 mins. God bless our troops.

RandallH
04-25-2012, 06:44 AM
Kevin,

I have the E1 Backup from Surefire, it is a dual output L.E.D. 5 lumens on low and 110 lumens on high. 37 hours burn time on low. I do have the blue filter. It is great for E.D.C., it is small enough to clip the the brim of my hat, the clip is multidirectional. Nice little unit. Gonehuntin' has the 4 Sevens flashlights, I have not seen them yet, but I have heard good things about them for a fraction of the cost and they use regular unleaded (AA) batteries.

Randall

JL
04-25-2012, 05:42 PM
For headlamps I like ZEBRA Lights. I get 190 lumens from a single AA battery.

Saited
05-29-2012, 07:22 PM
I went in to spend my REI dividend, and found great progress in the new LED lights. First, the prices are dropping, always a good thing. Second, they're getting lighter and brighter. The Black Diamond Ion headlamp has 2 LEDs, a nominal 15 hour burn time, and weights one ounce! It's pretty bright, too, at least when I was out walking the dog last night.

I also picked up a Princeton Tec Impact II which is much brighter, and weighs 2.85 oz. It's supposedly bright enough to work to 50 yards, which is more than enough to keep from getting cliffed out, as Patrick puts it. It seems to be the equivalent of a mini mag light, but lighter and with a nominal 100 hr burn time.

There is also a Gemini light, combining a Xenon lamp with a LED, but at 5.3 oz, I thought I'd experiment with the other two first. I'm at 3.85 oz if I bring both with me.

Take a look, the technology is improving and getting cheaper. If you were skeptical about LEDs, the new ones are much better than even last year.

yeah. technology now is updating/upgradings few months or a year. so will wait for best LED i have spotted to make it more cheaper in the next upgrade.

http://www.niceledlights.com

led tubes (http://www.niceledlights.com)

tkite93
05-29-2012, 08:31 PM
For a headlamp I sure like the Petzl Tak-Tikka with red lense. For a regular LED flashlight I highly recommend the Pelican NEMO 2010 with LED lamp. The Pelican is waterproof to 500 ft deep, so rain and bad weather doesn't matter a bit. Runs on 3 c-cell batteries so it stays bright for a long time.

MikeB.
06-06-2012, 09:54 PM
The latest generation of LEDs from Cree are astonishingly bright, with moderate power consumption. Many good head & handheld lights are now using the Cree LED. I met an engineer last winter who designs commercial LED fixtures & at that time, Cree had surpassed Surefire's technology. I still love my Surefires, but it's hard to ignore a 3-pack of 200-lumen Cree "tactical" lights at Costco for $15! These cheap lights now live in our vehicles, night stands, bug-out kits & my briefcase. With 3 rechargeable AAs, these are super cheap, super bright general-purpose hand-helds.