PDA

View Full Version : Need boot advice...

Underdog
03-15-2003, 01:17 PM
I currently and breaking in a new pair of Matterhorn boots, and I'm not quite happy with them. I had them stretched at the shoe repair place, but now I notice that even with thick socks, my heels can move up and down. I have a size 12EE, but I can't go down to a size 11 1/2 because then they are too tight. I also can't wear Danner boots as they are built too narrow for my feet. What boots would you all recommend I look at? I need very high quality boots that are built to last. Money is no object. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

AbnMedOps
03-15-2003, 02:25 PM
You might try Wiggy's (www.wiggys.com) for Herman Survivors. I have not tried them, but I believe he has the remaining inventory of Herman's. Might have a size for you. Did you contact Danner for a custom size? Danner is definitely a step or two above Matterhorn in quality.

AbnMedOps
03-15-2003, 02:25 PM
You might try Wiggy's (www.wiggys.com) for Herman Survivors. I have not tried them, but I believe he has the remaining inventory of Herman's. Might have a size for you. Did you contact Danner for a custom size? Danner is definitely a step or two above Matterhorn in quality.

JF
03-15-2003, 03:40 PM
Heel lift can be caused by a really rigid midsole that does not flex enough when you stride. I am not familiar with the model you named so I can't comment on it. But sometimes more break in (or) a softer more flexible boot might be something to consider.

This sounds a little goofy, but!!! if the boots are heavy, all leather, you can speed the break-in by soaking the boots in the bathtub until the leather is completely soaked. Then put them on and walk/hike until they are mostly dry. Do this twice, then dry slowly before treating the leather.

Of course a wide forefoot combined with a narrow heel or low instep is a very tough combo to fit. You might consider made to order boots. There are several, but Russel is very famous.

JF

Kevin
03-15-2003, 06:11 PM
For wide feet, look at Vasque and LL Bean. Both have a lot of boots in EE widths. 9EE here, and the Vasque Sundowner and Clarion are fantastic for me. Be prepared to experiment with Superfeet insoles, or heel insoles, to get the right fit with your socks of choice. It's worth the trouble.

Kevin
03-15-2003, 06:14 PM
I had the same problem with the Clarions. Try the insoles before you fork out the cash for new boots. The heel cups are $6, and the full insoles about $25 or so. I tried the heel cups and they still moved. The full insole filled it up, and now, they are fantastic.

sbfireman
03-16-2003, 05:38 AM
Underdog,
I'mm not familiar with the brand you mention. One thing that comes to mind is the weather (hot and dry vs. cold and wet) followed closely by weight of boot. I'd recommend, since you have the resources to have a custom pair of boots made. I like White's Boots (http://www.whitesboots.com). They hold up and can be rebuilt. Downside is the weight of the boots. They offer both insulated and regular types. Hope this helps.

MikeM
03-16-2003, 03:25 PM
Underdog -
Although smaller feet, I got the same kind of problem with narrow heels and wide foot. Danner didn't work for me either. Tried Russel, they make a quality boot but a little too flexible for what I wanted and really didn't completely cure my heel problem. Sundowner fit me pretty good, but I ended up lookin at Cabelas and getting there Canada boots. They are on heavy side but I got a great fit after I played with different insoles. What I ended up doing is to mail order boots and try them on inside at home. Wasted money on shipping but it was cheaper in the long run.

fos
03-16-2003, 03:57 PM
I've found that top quality hiking/backpacking specific boots are always better than "hunting" boots or military style boots. Try Montrail, either the Vercors or Moraine models. They have nice, wide toe-boxes and snug-fitting heels.

Dean
03-16-2003, 04:53 PM
Meindl boots made in Germany are awsome boots and very high quality. they run between 200 and 280 dollars but have been highly praised by a lot of guys . I'll get back to you with a dealer . I know there is a guy in Illinois.

Danner
03-16-2003, 08:29 PM
I would for sure try the Whites boots,I have to pair and work in the woods and they are very comfortable. Don't care for them in colder weather so after about October till March I wear Meindl they are both heavy but,I have not found light boots to hold up.

jdb3
03-17-2003, 07:01 AM
You've gotten some pretty good replies. I have two pair of White's and one pair of Meindl's. I like both and you would do well with either. White's are custom made to your feet and cost considerablly more. You can also go to Russel ( Russle Boots (http://www.russelmoccasin.com) ), they make custom boots to fit your feet too. I've worn the Herman Survivor too but it has been years and the above mentioned boots are higher quality. The nice thing about the custom boots is that they can be rebuilt so they are really cheeper in the long run. Hope that helps. Jim

jdb3
03-17-2003, 07:11 AM
Sorry about the URL. Here is the correct one.
Russell Boots (http://www.russellmoccasin.com./main.html)

elmbow
03-17-2003, 02:06 PM
gotta put my two cents worth in here: Use the Matterhorns for yard work and spend some $ and get good boots. IMO that means sewn welts, not cemented. It also means backpacking boots, not hunting boots. It also means having the option of custom sizing if necessary. Vasques are great boots but not customizable. I'm 53 now and started chukar hunting in White's 40 years ago. For climbing up and down the mountain all day they are a good choice. They can be custom made, are rebuildable but not good for cold weather. Danners fit all the criteria. I have been using Danner lites w/goretex for most hunting/hiking for 10 years now and they have held up well in the great basin ranges which are pretty rugged. Russells are very comfortable and spendy but are geared towards comfort not durability. If you want some mocassins for bowhunting, you can't go wrong with russels. Hope that helps.

Rocket
03-17-2003, 06:21 PM
I'll add my 2 cents. I am prettyheavy around 210 lbs. weight can have significant impact on the type of boots that work for you. I tried Danners (top end ones) I have had some higher end Rockies and some private labeled top end boots from Cabela's. This year I bought a pair of Schnees at RMEF dinner on the silent auction at the prompting of my brother and I can tell you these are THE best most comfortable, supportive boots that I have ever worn in my 46 years on this earth. They fit like glove and required 0 break-in and they support my foot and ankle with no intrusion at all. I would recommend trying a pair great folks to deal with too.

jdb3
03-18-2003, 07:00 AM
Rocket, I too own Schnees. We use them almost exclusively for the hunting we do in Alaska. I use them for my field boot here is Southeast Alaska too. I work in the woods so they see a lot of use. As I said above, I like all these boots I own, but none of them are the best for everything. However, I must agree with you, the Schnees are probably the closest. I have not ordered the Russell's yet but probably will. Always looking for a better boot. Jim

SharpDog
03-18-2003, 07:27 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Underdog:
I currently and breaking in a new pair of Matterhorn boots, and I'm not quite happy with them. I had them stretched at the shoe repair place, but now I notice that even with thick socks, my heels can move up and down. I have a size 12EE, but I can't go down to a size 11 1/2 because then they are too tight. I also can't wear Danner boots as they are built too narrow for my feet. What boots would you all recommend I look at? I need very high quality boots that are built to last. Money is no object. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif </div></div>You might try Cabelas. I too have wide (EE) feet. Here in Texas we have snakes and swamps so I chose their snake boot. Pretty light for a snake boot. Best fitting boots I ever had. I als have several pairs of their chukkas which also fit perfectly. They have many EE width boots to choose from and their customer service is really good. I also have some Herman Survivors. Not all styles are available in wide widths. The ones I have are steel toe, waterproof and the're black but I don't remember the model. I got them at Walmart. They also fit pretty well.

Hope this helps you.

/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Clint
03-18-2003, 09:32 AM
If it was up to me I would go with the Mendle boots. hey come in sizes that will fit you. I have guided for mostof my life and all the clients including myself have been very impressed with their fit and strength. One thing to watch for is their are 2 suppliers for the boots if you buy them from Cabelas the leather is a different quality it is alot softer than the Mendles you buy from a dealer, also the sole of the boot is attached differently and I found the dealer boots to stand up for way longer.

03-18-2003, 04:04 PM
Redwings come in 3 widths and all sizes

GLENN
03-20-2003, 06:42 PM
UNDERDOG,
Here's one more brand to consider (KULIENS).
They're a small custom shop in Centralia,Wa.
I've wore Danners,Redwings,White's and a few
others. Not being completly satified, I kept
looking for a high quality tough boot that
fits like glove. These were the answer for
me. Great folks to deal with too.

MikeM
03-21-2003, 04:35 PM
Glenn, do they (Kuliens) have a web site. Went looking for it and couldn't find anything. Otherwise do you have a phone number or address? Always interested in a good boot!

Stan
03-21-2003, 06:15 PM
I second Deans vote for Meindles - they are truly great boots! My favorites are the Cabelas (Meindle) Denali hikers. I have been using a pair now for over 3 years of constant, heavy-duty hiking in work and play and they have help up great. I have the higher topped Canadian Hunters too, but the high tops bug me for anything but very steep and rough country (so I recently had them "corked" for a goat hunt last year). Hoffmans in Kellogg, Idaho deals Meindles (I do not have the phone right now, but will get it later). Also, New Zealanders seem to be nuts over Mendles too and they hunt some rough country down there.

Stan

Stan
03-21-2003, 06:52 PM
Underdog,

I forgot to add: I cannot wear Danners either (narrow heel/wide forefoot), but the regular width Meindles work fine for me. Also would agree with Clint on the Cabelas Mendles softer leather. At first that concerned me and my pairs have numerous rock cuts, but so far nothing has gone all the way through! Great boots. Try 'em!

Stan

John in Texas
03-22-2003, 06:45 PM
Underdog
Schnee's have worked well for me. They are also guaranteed to fit. If for any reason you are not satisfied, send them back for a full refund. Call them for a catalog or just to talk. 1-800-922-1562.
Good Luck.
John in Texas

Randy
03-22-2003, 09:42 PM
I would have to agree w/many of the other authors on this subject, buy backpacking or mountaineering boots, not 'hunting' boots. I have had great luck w/Raichle boots, they are getting hard to find in the US. Most recently I've been wearing the LaSportiva Makalu. This is a very heavy duty boot, stiff enough for crampon use and yes they work well in the cold (2 trips up Mt Adams and once up Mt Hood in these Boots) One thing to keep in mind, stiff boots are made that way so your foot doesn't have to work and stress to provide proper support on rough terrain. After you're used to the different feel, you'll find long distance hiking a joy. The footbeds work great to take up a little room in the boot as do the heel cups. Buy the boots so they fit with a liner sock and a heavier wool or polyester sock. Too much sock means a too tight fit, blisters and colder feet because of decreased circulation. Like a previous author mentioned, good boots cost lots of money, but worth it in the long run.

04-09-2003, 05:52 PM
Cabela's Outfitter boots are available in wide widths. I wear a 4E and I find them very comfortable.

Miller
04-11-2003, 10:43 AM
Kuliens 360-736-6943

Miller
04-11-2003, 03:45 PM
I contacted Kuliens today and there is no web site, they don't have a catalog and they prefer that you go to the factory in Washington state to be fitted. Additionally the particular gentleman that I spoke to was very kurt in his demeanor and made it a point to talk down to me over the phone. Not the type of reception you would expect for a person wanting to sell you a pair of shoes that start at 496.00.

NYJim
04-12-2003, 06:09 PM
There is a lot of good advice on the thread, but I just wanted to add my $.02. :p

Use boot recomendations for features like quality, not so much for fit. Every boot is made on a different mold, and fit every one a little differently.

After many miles and many boots, here is my advice for hiking boots ..

1)Try them on in a store.
2)Look for a store with a good boot fitter. I had good luck with my local Phil Oren sales guy http://www.fitsystembyphiloren.com/index2.html. They can use tools to work the leather on some boots if you have spots that rub.
3)Test them in the store on a ramp with your hiking socks. If they feel and fit good, on the ramp going up test for excessive heal lift. Going down, test for toe jamming and hitting the front of the boot. These are common friction points.

I think mail order is a big gamble for rough terrian hiking boots. In any case this has been my expirence.

Jim T
05-17-2003, 04:36 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the new Meindl Alaska Hunter Boot?

Jim

thewolverine
05-18-2003, 10:17 AM
Hi, My 2 cents as well.
I would try Limmer boots..Everything I read convinced me to purchase a pair..and while not ultra light and requiring a bit of break-in...easily one of the most cormfortable boots I have ever worn.
<a href="http://www.limmerboots.com" target="_blank">http://www.limmerboots.com (http://www.limmerboots.com)</a>
and
http://www.thebackpacker.com/gear/boots/limmer_boots.php
Family owned..very pesonable and attentive to specific needs.
v/r
M

thewolverine
05-18-2003, 10:19 AM
Hi again,
sorry for the typos....did not preview, but check out the websites..good info
v/r
M

thewolverine
05-18-2003, 10:22 AM
Well,
I am ate up..
the correct website for Limmer is:
http://www.limmerboot.com/opening.html
my apologies...
M

Brian Wesley Simmons
05-27-2003, 11:50 AM
Howdy, folks. I have a question about boots as well. I have fairly narrow feet and very weak ankles. We'll be going on a Newfoundland caribou archery hunt this fall and I'd like some new footwear. People have told me that I'll be happy to have pretty high (12 inches or better)waterproof boots for the hunt. I'm not having much luck finding anything other than rubber boots that high. I don't believe rubber boots will provide the ankle support I need.

Suggestions greatly appreciated.

bws

Brian Wesley Simmons
05-27-2003, 12:28 PM
Slight amendment to my previous post. I have found some non-rubber taller boots, but they are all heavily insulated, like 800, 1220, or (!) 1600 gms of thinsulate. Why do the manufacturers think tall boots must be insulated so heavily? I don't think a September Newfoundland hunt is going to need such extreme footwear.

bws

BobG
05-27-2003, 12:46 PM
Take a look at the Schnee's Hunter:
http://www.schnees.com
Been using them in the tundra of SW Alaska for years. They are the best we have found. Get an extra set of liners to be drying and rotate every other day.

EyeDoc
05-27-2003, 04:31 PM
Take a look at the Meindl Canada Pro not the Cabela's version of the same. I beleive it is 11 or 12 inches &amp; is not insulated. I just bought a pair of Meindl's(3rd pair) from a store in BC,their website is <a href="http://www.ajbrooks.com" target="_blank">http://www.ajbrooks.com (http://www.ajbrooks.com)</a>

Jim T
05-27-2003, 06:10 PM
Three different models, or have you gone through two pairs of these already?

Jim

Dave
05-30-2003, 06:49 AM
Ok, lets talk about Meindl boots. The ones that you purchase from Cabella's are Meindl's made specifically for Cabella's and to thier standards. If you want a true pair of Meindls then you need to contact Steven Lathrop of "Lathrop and Son's" These guys are podiatrists (sp?) in Illinios and they know what they are doing. They also custom make footbeds for any size and type of foot. BTW, I have a pair of Meindl Island Pro boots that I have put over 150 miles on since I recieved them last summer and they still look brand new. Anyways, the website is "bowsite2.com/Lathrop/. These guys are also hunters. Mostly big game bowhunters in Ak and BC. When I ordered these boots from Steven the first thing he did was have me do a tracing of my foot and then mail it to him. This is how they fit a boot over the internet to a specific person. And most packages come with thorlo socks and Visco High Country foot beds for under $300 bucks. Don't forget to tell him Dave from Kifaru Sent YA!