PDA

View Full Version : Which KU pack are most LH users switching to?

JBR
02-28-2011, 08:02 PM
Okay, so like many others, I have a G1 LH Guide pack, only long ago when I ordered it I had it made in CB and upgraded to the 1,000 denier cordura instead of the 500. Great, it's bombproof no doubt, but I'm paying for it in weight. So, thanks to Patrick, many of us are drooling over the KU packs and trying to figure out if we should make the switch (or addition) to the KU packs. My question is, for those that currently have the LH (standard or guide), if you HAVE made the switch or are considering it, which are you looking at when considering to replace your LH....the KU3700 or the KU5200 and what accessories. Back and forth, back and forth, I keep going between the two.

Personally I think the 3700 with an E&E and a couple long pockets, bam, I'm done. Then I wonder about if/when I knock down that backcountry elk and really wish I'd gone for the 5200? What are your thoughts? FYI, typically I'm going to use for overnight backcountry fishing rambles, scouting, and archery deer & elk trips, where I"ll likely be carrying the paratipi/sm stove I'm currently looking to pick up.

skeener
02-28-2011, 08:17 PM
I ordered a KU 3700. Still thinking about access. But think I will go 2 longpockets, Med pod for clothes storage and Large pod to carry tipi and stove

JBR
02-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Which tipi and stove will you be carrying?

skeener
02-28-2011, 08:35 PM
I have a 6man and med stove but share load weight with friend, would like to go sawtooth for weight savings. Do most of you carry such items inside pack or outside? Does it take a lg pod to fit stove and tipi? thanks

bamboobow
03-01-2011, 06:14 AM
I am probably going to switch to the KU5200 because it is the same capacity as a longhunter. I like getting as much as possible inside the pack instead of attaching things outside. I'm sure it will cinch down nicely with less than a full load.

From a weight stand point the KU5200 is only 4 ounces more than the KU3700. Looking at the dollars, the KU5200 will only cost you $40.00 more. What will all the pods and pockets added to the KU3700 cost you?

....JMO
-
-

JBR
03-01-2011, 09:44 AM
Great point Bamboo. Keep 'em coming.

Big W
03-01-2011, 09:50 AM
I am not switching, just adding to the line up. I ordered the KU5200 and currently have a standard G2 LH. For the way i hunt the G2 LH just has to much versatility to get rid of. My new KU will be for summer backpacking, winter snowshoe trips and scouting trips. I also don't think the KU would be the best for stuff like bear hides, gas cans, loads of wood and chain saws like the G2 LH in hauler mode does.

sab
03-01-2011, 05:39 PM
I currently use an MMR and Koala, and I'll eventually switch to a KU5200 and KU Koala. Although I have just about every pocket/pod that Kifaru makes, I rarely use them because they add weight very quickly. I don't need a bunch of pockets to put stuff in. I use the Koala for items for which quick access is a requisite, and everything else goes in the pack. I'm pretty excited to finally reduce the weight of my pack, as I've expended a lot of time and money getting all my other components as light as possible, and the pack was the one item for which I could find no appreciable UL alternative. I have not yet decided how to haul the first load of meat out, though. Without a cargo chair, it's a challenge to haul meat and gear out on the first trip...

Scott

steveb
03-01-2011, 05:47 PM
If you think you will need to use the long pockets on a regular basis with the 3700, I'd go with the 5200 instead and skip the longs. I really think Scott did the right thing and got the rest of his gear as light/compact as possible first. IMO, the pack should be the LAST item to go UL.

JBR
03-01-2011, 08:17 PM
I guess I play devil's advocate with myself sometimes and throw out the idea that is plaguing me with confusion, such as the 3700. I have no extra pockets or pods with my LH Guide, so switching to a smaller pack with the addition of pockets/pods is a new idea for me anyway. Just watching the video of Patrick with the 3700 and the extra pockets/pods is somewhat enticing, although ulimately more expensive in the long run. I naturally lean towards the 5200 anyway, since my LH Guide is, what, 7200 ci? I really like the extra capacity of the 5200 and with the UL's, the added "weight" of going from the 3700 to the 5200 is nothing, but sometimes I like to hear what other people's thinking is regarding some of these issues. That IS part of the great value of being a part of the Kifaru community....access to volumes of other people's experience and wisdom.

Reid
03-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Great Question, I've not considered myself switching, rather adding. I don't think the G2LH has a peer from a modularity perspective. I think the KU5200 offers huge weight savings, but, we do give up significant features that we've all come to love in our LH packs. So it's adding and providing another option when weight matters more than the features offered by the G2LH. Nope not switching, was thinking about this just today before I saw this good thread, and I had already realized the features of the G2LH are not rivaled.

In a dream world, I would have new lightweight stays in my G2LH, and the G2 Bag (and lid) made of the lightweight fabric....ooops....perhaps we will see this in the future, It would certainly be on my product strategy roadmap.

Like the apple iPad2, I have the original iPad 3G version, love it, perhaps the cameras and faster processor means I need a buyer for my original iPad as it is now obsolete. Not so with the G2LH, it is a very relevant pack still.

Thanks Patrick for your innovation keep it up!

sab
03-03-2011, 09:01 AM
Reid:

You make a very good point. For me, the KU5200 will be used for 5-10 day hunts where I'm hiking in 3-10 miles and setting up a base camp. Those types of hunts require UL gear. For hunts of shorter duration (less food weight) or less hiking to base camp (less total energy exerted on the way in/out), the MMR will still be my choice.

Scott

alaskalanche
03-04-2011, 02:39 AM
Reid:

You make a very good point. For me, the KU5200 will be used for 5-10 day hunts where I'm hiking in 3-10 miles and setting up a base camp. Those types of hunts require UL gear. For hunts of shorter duration (less food weight) or less hiking to base camp (less total energy exerted on the way in/out), the MMR will still be my choice.

Scott

Man I pack pretty UL but there is no way I could fit all my gear and a whole sheep in a 5200 cu in. Once that KU7500 comes out I will pick one up. Until then I will have my wife use the KU5200 on our sheep hunts and I'll stick to the 8100 cu in. :D

John Havard
03-04-2011, 04:36 AM
Bigger packs can be compressed down to be quite small. Smaller packs can't be expanded beyond their internal capacity. I bought the KU5200 because they don't (yet) make a KU6200. The difference in weight between the KU5200 and the KU3700 is practically nil. If you think you'd ever need or want the extra cubes why would you buy the smaller pack when the larger one can be easily and efficiently compressed down in size?

sab
03-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Man I pack pretty UL but there is no way I could fit all my gear and a whole sheep in a 5200 cu in. Once that KU7500 comes out I will pick one up. Until then I will have my wife use the KU5200 on our sheep hunts and I'll stick to the 8100 cu in. :D

Alaskalanche:

I agree - 5200ci is not enough to carry game and gear out. In fact, I wrote about this dilemma in post #8 on page 1...

Scott

larryschwartz
03-07-2011, 05:18 PM
There is another thread, located here: http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?24464-KU3700-Suspension-Questions, that talks about the differences in the waist belts and other components. It is worth reading in the context of this thread since the lumbar pad, waist belt, etc. get more robust as you go up in size to handle the additional weight. It leads me to believe that even though you can hang enough stuff off of a 3700 to let it carry what a 5200 will carry, it won't be as comfortable doing it.