PDA

View Full Version : Help on decision of 8-man or 4-man Tipi?

Ryan Brooker
03-14-2003, 07:24 AM
I am trying to decide on 8-man or 4-man? To try and not waste anyones time, I am a 4-season hiker/hunter with several medium(2 miles) to long(5 miles)hikes a year to hunt/scout. I will use this tent exclusively throughout the year. Question-Is the 4-man large enough for example: an elk hunt with 2 men all the gear and a small stove to fit comfortably for 7-9 days? I know that the 8-man will be large enough but too large?Both tents are very respectable for packing weight, but packing size does matter a little, obviously the smaller and lighter the better. I am not located near any easy access to view the size difference of the Tipis. Furthermore being just out of college, money is in short supply so both tipis is not the answer. I have been deliberating since the end of the season and would like to purchase and test while it is still somewhat cold out. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Brooker

Ken
03-14-2003, 07:59 AM
Ryan- Patrick is sending me some pic's of the 8 and 4 packed, side by side, for comparisons sake.
When I get them, I'll post them for all to see. (Patrick- why didn't we think of this before?...could it be our lack of 'speriance with the new format! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif )

Dave R.
03-14-2003, 08:35 AM
Ryan,

Are you back pack hunting? if so...the 4 man is plenty huge for two guys...lots of room for gear. You can't really stand up and walk around too much in the 4 man...but the floor space is vast. I love mine ,been using it for 5 years.

Dave

03-14-2003, 08:48 AM
The 8-man, plus stove(old style) and sst pins fills up half of my toboggan, and four dogs pull that. I could pull it alone, but not more than say- 5 miles.

Unless you have three or four in your party, I'd go 4-man.

Ken
03-15-2003, 03:17 PM
Here they are:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid55/p95dac6aef10399b42ad59a4a3919dd76/fc802bc4.jpg.thumb.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid55/p134755d4330097cb6c335fdb07695495/fc802bc3.jpg.thumb.jpg
Looks like the 4-man is quite a bit smaller. Thanks to Patrick and Maggie!

imported_Mark
03-15-2003, 07:51 PM
Ken.......

With the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, which one is which? Are both pictures of a 4 man next to an 8 man? Also what is between the two tipis?

imported_Mark
03-15-2003, 07:53 PM
Never mind. After looking closer at the pictures I have answered my own question...Sorry.

Ken
03-15-2003, 08:12 PM
According to Patrick there is a 1 liter bottle in between the Tipis pictured. Patrick said he would send pictures of the 12 man also but I haven't seen them yet.

Patrick
03-15-2003, 08:51 PM
Ken--

One of the photos is a comparison between an 8 and a 4; the other is a comparison between an 8 and a 12. My old monitor is so dim I can't tell which is which. All are the same height; they vary only in circumference. Suffice to say, all the tipis are backpack worthy--which is the whole idea. Thanks for putting 'em up!

Ken
03-16-2003, 05:11 PM
Wow! I expected the 12 man to be bigger than that! For something that you can hold a small party in, there isn't much to carry.

razorsharp
03-16-2003, 11:32 PM
We haven't forgot about ya, Ryan.

Go for the 8-man. For year-arounding you'll be happier. With gear and firewood and keeping one doorway clear you'll appreciate the extra room. IF you're like me you'll fall in love with winter camping and want to bring some friends to share the experience. You can divvy up the pole and stakes with other(s) if weight is an issue. With little-ole me, it's not.

Good luck

Call me Razorsharp

Ryan Brooker
03-17-2003, 11:54 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. I have pretty much decided to go with the 8-man ultralight. I am having friends hunt with me for the Colorado Elk rifle which they will help with the packing. I am excited to get the tipi and try it out. Although all the cold weather has disappeared in my area. Just waiting on the tax return now. Thanks again.
Brooker
Anybody know how long it takes Kifaru to get a tent out after they receive the order?

Ken
03-17-2003, 12:18 PM
I'm in the same boat as you Ryan, the 4-man is tempting because of it's size and weight, but for about $350 and 5.5 lbs. extra, you can have headroom (even when drying clothes), a large stove with more cooking surface, and lot's of room to sprawl 2-3. It's hard to say no to the 8-man.

03-17-2003, 04:53 PM
Ken/Ryan. When you get to be 50 something you will say " This pack is sure heavy. I wish I had bought the lighter 4 man tipi. When two are sleeping in the 4 man there is easily 3 ft of space between the sleeping bags. It is pretty spacious. I think 4 people could easily sit around the 4 man at dinner time. My second tipi is a paratipi because it only weighs 3 lbs. I use it for quick overnights spring thru fall.

Rocket
03-17-2003, 06:15 PM
I just got an 8-man ultra-lite. WOW what great tent and the room is well owrht the extra weight. Hunt with buddies you can divy up the load and hike back miles. Co Elk hunt we plan to do just that. ML though. Great choice with the 8-man Ultra-lite. Everyone here is of great help and they share the experinces they have had makes the decison making process much easier.

razorsharp
03-17-2003, 06:52 PM
Bryce

The trick is to buy a Kifaru pack! Don't tell me you don't have one!! Kidding....I don't have one either--my next purchase, though.

RSD

03-17-2003, 07:36 PM
OK, I weighed my 8-man + sst pins + pole + large old-school stove + old-school stovepipe + tray + snow platform. Guess what? The old-school stovepipe was very nearly 1/3 of the total weight!

So, please, any testimonials on the 8-man new-school pipe? Can a soloist unfurl it easily?

Hey, here's a good one. Anybody ever tried using their tent pole as a collapsible gee pole?

Happy Trails...

03-18-2003, 02:58 PM
Razorsharp-

Actually I have a predator frieghter with a longhunter waist belt that I have been using on backpacks for a couple of years. Its pretty fantastic to carry. I also have a spikecamp that I use for day trips. I have a sled that I used to haul out a boned elk in one trip last fall. There is a picture on the kifaru sled page.
The equipment is really good. The motor just has a lot of miles on it.

MikeM
03-18-2003, 05:07 PM
Hey Dave, the new stove pipe is no problem with one guy. It helps to have two just the first time you set it up prior to burning it to set the shape. After that two would be one too many. Send your friend out for the wood. I don't know what the old one was like and I've never timed it but you ought to be able to get the pipe set up in 5 minutes or less. They're also very durable. Had mine cherry red a lot of times and hasn't melted down yet. Go ahead and save some weight. Mike.

razorsharp
03-18-2003, 06:22 PM
Bryce,,

Yea, I hear you. I'll be 40 next year and, although not 50, it's not 30 either. I'm beginning to feel it. Harder to get in shape and stay there.
I skimped on a backpack, a few years ago, and am paying the price starting about 100 yds. from my truck until I get to my campsite.

I didn't know about the Kifaru packs. We don't get much snow here for a sled.

There must be a twinkle that occurs in my eye when I look at gear, on-line. My wife went for the tipi idea surprisingly quietly but the other day, as I huddled in the corner and glared at the longhunter on screen, she yelled "Forget it!" She was behind the monitor; she must have seen the price tag off the reflection of my eyes!

Well, this year is our 20th wed. anniversary so there is hope.

If anyone wants to send a gift please leave your address and I'll send a SASE. If everyone just gave a little it would be easier on us all.

Razorsharp-Death "Kill'em and gut'em... with one shot"

Ken
03-19-2003, 05:18 PM
Bryce- aren't you from the Albany, NY area?, or am I confusing you with somebody else? If you are I'd be really greatful to take a look at your setup before I order my Tipi. Thanks.

03-19-2003, 09:34 PM
Ken
Sorry about the confusion. I grew up in the Albany area. Spent two years in the Adirondacks at Paul Smiths and climbed the 46 high peaks. Moved to Colorado in 1971. I just went back to visit my folks last weekend. Maybe next time I can bring my tipi and you can come by and see it.
I can understand why you want to see one. I spent a lot of time sitting in Patricks demo tipis up in the attic of his shop.

Ken
03-20-2003, 04:30 AM
Bryce- I'm a smitty myself...graduated in '92 with a A.A.S. in Surveying. Great place. When were you there?

03-20-2003, 01:23 PM
Ken
I graduated in 67 -preprofessional forestry. You are young enough to carry an 8 man. When you get to be 55 it will be worn out and you can get a 4 man.

Ken
03-20-2003, 03:31 PM
Bryce
ROFLMAO- That's some of the best advice I've had yet on tipi size! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif It's good to hear from another stumpy! You must have been around during the wild and crazy years from what I was told about that place. Did you live out on Osgood in the Forestry dorm? Some of the Prof's claimed that there was a time when they didn't dare to ride out there and say hello. Things have changed alot since I was there, I don't think security will turn there head anymore when they spot the half barrel in the closet on a Wed. night and the room is full of people...

03-23-2003, 08:34 PM
Ken- I lived in dorm 4. It was across the quad right by the lake. Everyone had several guns hanging on their wall. The guys that lived at Osgood were the terminal foresters. You could say they looked like lumberjacks. Every once in a while there would be a rumor of a deer hanging in the shed out there, not necessarily in season. While I was there the snakepit ( a dorm) burned down one day. Later the sawmill burned down. I had the professors who were there for years. Hoyt and Rutherford. Went with Hoyt to Montreal one winter to compete in a woodsmans meet against all of the forestry schools in the East. That was a good experience.