PDA

View Full Version : LH questions for Patrick

Ken
03-13-2003, 05:49 AM
In Art338's thread below you mention some hunters using the compressed Guide model as a large daypack. We are in the process of ordering a pack for my GF's dad for his 40th B'day. He really likes my Spikecamp, but I think he would be better suited with LH. In the past we have lashed our daypacks to are externals to haul camp in and set up, then hunted out of our DP's. I would like to get him a LH Rendevous for all of the hauling duties,but am wondering if it will compress down into a useable DP size. I believe the top pouch in freightor mode will do for early season DP use, but more storage will be necessary come late season. I'm kinda stuck between the extra space with the Rendevous for hauling and the compactability of the Guide model for hunting from base camp...what are your thoughts? Thanks!

Patrick
03-13-2003, 11:39 AM
Ken--

I honestly don't think you'd notice any difference in compactability between the Guide and the Redezvous. When all the compression straps are cinched all the LH bags are small, for day hunting.

Hey! Can I borrow this guy for "all the hauling duties"? I'll even rent him, and promise to treat him well.

Patrick

Ken
03-13-2003, 05:32 PM
/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif I'm sure he wouldn't mind doing some hauling for you in return for a little guide service! Remember the door is always open for an Adirondack whitetail or black bear hunt if you make it out this way! BTW we put in for the big bag, and if he doesn't like it, I know somebody who will! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif (As long as my Spikecamp doesn't get too jealous) I think it will make for a heck of a 40th present! Thanks for the advice.

Patrick
03-13-2003, 06:51 PM
Ken--

Don't go away. I've rambled a lot in New England; but never in the Adirondacks. Which I kinda hanker to do. I've always heard a man can get waaaaay back in there. This coming autumn is pretty stacked already, but...like I say, stick around. I have an invite "anytime" from a Maine Guide customer (William Clunie) for bear and moose. If everything came together I can see a hunt over in Maine AND a sashay deep into the Adirondacks. Life is good, eh?

Patrick

Ken
03-14-2003, 05:26 AM
Believe it! I've got my Moose permit in for Maine and am keeping my fingers crossed, but in the mean time I'll keep digging around the backcountry here, looking for the big one! This William Clunie does his outfitting from a Tipi, doesn't he? If so I'll have to look him up in the event that I draw. I'll keep in touch and let you know what I think of the new pack when it comes in (hopefully before his surprise B'day party on the 12th of April). I've already got the sneaking suspicion that I might have been better off with one of these myself instead of the Spike, but we will see. BTW did you ever get you digital camera fixed, I'd still like to see a packed side by side comparison of the 8-man and 4-man. My e-mail is chudson6@citlink.net. Have a good one!

Patrick
03-14-2003, 07:08 AM
Ken--

I just took a couple of pics of the two side-by-side, with a 1 liter Nalgene bottle between 'em for scale. Will transmit today. You'll note there's not a lot of difference--both are easily backpacked, which is the whole idea. I also did a side-by-side of an 8 and a 12, and they are coming too. Just for the record, in case you go big-time tipi someday. BTW, lots and lots guys own both SpikeCamps AND LongHunters <grin>.

Jeez, it's good to have that camera fixed!

Patrick

Ken
03-14-2003, 07:51 AM
I'll sit tight for the pictures, thanks. I very well could be one of those guys someday...after the Tipi. I would still use the SC when I'm hunting close to home, and the LH for the "expidition" hunts...as a matter of fact my SC is home on the living room floor as we speak, packed with 2 30lb. dumbells and a bunch of old sweatshirts for padding, ready for me to take it for a walk tonight when I get home! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif (gotta get ready to chase those Brookies!) Not exactly "haul of fame" material but it works. It's impressive what that little bugger actually carries comfortably...