PDA

View Full Version : Which Stove?

imported_Mark
03-10-2003, 11:10 AM
I think that I will be ordering the 4 man tipi. I'm not sure which stove to get. I like the fact that the small stove and 4 man tipi only weigh in at 8lb. But if the medium stove is really that much better I suppose I could sacrafice the extra pound. I will be backpacking with this set up. What is everyones thought on this? Does the medium stove really put off that much more heat? How much longer can I expect for burn times in general? Any suggestions or experiences would be great.
Thanks, Mark

Ed C
03-10-2003, 06:55 PM
Where are you going to be using it and how cold does it get there? I have the 4man with small stove. Patrick says it should keep it at room temperature down to 0. At least I think thats what he says I'm sure he will correct me if I'm wrong. Where I hunt in Nov. it's 15 degrees sometimes a bit lower. The stove works so well that sometimes I have to ventilate [unzip door a bit]. I wouldn't hesitate to take it when it's 0 or 10 15 below. Plenty of cooking surface be sure to get the warming tray it weighs nothing. The best solution is to get both stoves, you can use the same pipe. Seriously I hope this helps. Even at -20 the small stove should keep the tipi at 40 or 45 that ain't bad. Weight is important.

Ed

imported_Mark
03-10-2003, 07:28 PM
Ed C......

That's impresive. I will be using the tipi in Colorado mostly. And usually it doesn't get much colder than the teens at night during archery season. How often do you have to restoke the stove?

Ed C
03-11-2003, 06:02 PM
Mark

With this kind of stove you have to stoke it often. Depending on what your doing cooking, drying clothes, or lounging. Also it depends on the wood. Sometimes it gets warm enough I let it burn out and start another fire when it gets cold it only takes a few minutes to warm the tipi. It seems like 15 to 30 minutes will keep a fire going. Of course I don't really time it. You'll love it.

Ed

imported_Mark
03-12-2003, 10:13 AM
Ed C....
Thanks for the info. It sounds like the small stove will be plenty. Just out of curiousity, do you do most of your cooking on the small stove or do you use it primarily as a heat source? Also if you do some cooking on the stove aprox how long does it take to bring a couple of cups of water to a boil?

Ed C
03-12-2003, 06:52 PM
Mark

I use the stove for all of my cooking. It has plenty of cooking area. I take a 3 quart titanium pot and a 3cup titanium kettle-cup. As far as boiling water I haven't timed it, but I heard someone say it would boil 2 cups in 20 minutes or less. I think it's less. I'm usually doing other things while the water is heating like drying clothes, getting dressed, something. It's not like you have to worry about conserving fuel, you're staying warm, cooking food, doing chores, just like at home. In fact it is your home.

Good luck
Ed

Ed C
03-12-2003, 07:03 PM
Mark
The other Ed that is on this board builds and test these stoves for Patrick. He could answer a lot of these technical questions if he would chime in here. All I can tell you is I really like mine. Later

Ed C