PDA

View Full Version : Mega Revolver

Patrick
03-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Hi all--

Would any of you mega revolver whackos care to discuss the brand new S&W 500 Magnum? I just read about it in Shooting Times. Holy Mackeral! You pistoleros better start looking for bigger holsters.

Patrick

Ed C
03-05-2003, 10:13 PM
I would love to have one, but at 4lbs.10oz. I wouldn't care to pack it anywhere. It would be great to take it to the range and shoot it and let your friends shoot it. I remember what a hoot it was when I first fired a 44mag. I recently fired a .50cal Desert Eagle that was a hoot too. After two clips I had enough. I think you said it right when you said whacko cause that's the way I think of myself. It's a great feeling.

Ed

Patrick
03-06-2003, 08:22 AM
Ed--

You can surely count me among the whacko ranks as well. The big gun fascinates. Imagine the audacity of S&W in upping the ante regarding "hand canonry" by fully a third! Yes, it weighs, empty and with iron sites, more than my Rambler, scoped and loaded, but still.... One can imagine a scenario wherein a handloader loads some 500+ grain solid ammo and sallies forth in search of 10 foot brownies. Speed will have been slowed down to, say, 1200fps or so. Mercy! The result would be end-to-end penetration thru any critter on earth, and from any angle.

The cylinder will accept only five rounds, in comparison to my 480's six. I reckon I'll stick with the Ruger, but I look forward to reading about the virtues of the monster Smith on this Board in due course. Methinks some of our brethren here will find this piece irresistable. They most likely hail from southeast Alaska. How 'bout it guys?

Patrick

jdb3
03-06-2003, 09:06 AM
Patrick, I'm not sure I would want to put myself through the pain. I love my 480 but don't really like the sharp recoil of Bob's 454. Sooo, I think I'll pass and let some other idiot try it. I will have my first aid kit ready. Jim

Ken
03-06-2003, 10:10 AM
I like it!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid53/p713cd3ae934be24074b6ab77c0cffcc9/fc8b70c3.jpg
Unfortunately, some don't... http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.asp?Page=\Culture\archive\200302\CUL20 030217b.html

Tyde
03-06-2003, 10:48 AM
Ken
I like the idea, as it would be nice for those 11 foot monsters that laugh at 357 mags. And I would defend your right to own one. That said I won't buy another S&W, because of political reasons best reserved for the Politics Forum. I thought Ill. was the midwest. What's up with their reps?

By the way, I own a 454 and my dad has a 445. These two should be enough to convince ol' fuzzy britches that I taste bad.

Good Luck and Good Hunting

Dave R.
03-06-2003, 10:59 AM
hi Guys...

I have one specific question to ask about the SW 500 Magnum. Will Clint Eastwood need to do a remake of Dirty Harry?

Dave

Ken
03-06-2003, 12:11 PM
Tyde- I don't own one, I just like the gun. I guess it's a testosterone thing. I can't justify a $1000 pistol at the moment. My .44 Anaconda is plenty big for the blackies that we have around here. From what I understand the management at S&W is not the same as it was when everybody got big on boycotting them. I guess this pistol could be a move to try and heal old wounds so to speak.

shu
03-06-2003, 02:10 PM
S&W is back under US ownership (http://www.impactguns.com/store/smith_deal_reversed.html) with one of the 'old school' boys running the show. I would not hesitate to buy another Smithie--if it weren't for those stupid gun locks.

Patrick
03-06-2003, 02:15 PM
Ken, et al--

Here we've been talking about this big new HUNTING revolver...and then discover, yet again, how preposterous city Liberals really, really are. Thanks for posting that article--I needed some comic (tragic?) relief.

What? Nobody game for fetching one of these things? Dang. I was hoping somebody among us would step up to the plate. And then give us the skinny.

Patrick

Patrick

Ken
03-06-2003, 02:29 PM
Oh...I'd love to have one...there's something about launching 440 hard casts at 1600 fps that would surely put a smile on my face! I'm trying to talk a buddy of mine into one, that way I could shoot it every now and again!

bigbore442001
03-06-2003, 02:45 PM
I was fortunate to be able to handle the new 500 magnum while at the Springfield Sportsmans Show at the end of Febuary.

The model they had on display was the custom shop version which has a 12" barrel, scope as well as sling swivels.

I handled the new gun and I was expecting it to be a humongous behemoth. Well, it is in a way but not as heavy as I thought. I would guess that the gun is similar to a Dan Wesson Supermag with a heavy vent rib, full underlug with a scope.

If I were to get one I'd like to have it at 6" and it would ride in a Von Ringler 3 in 1 combo holster. The gun would ride under my left arm. I am contemplating this gun but I want to see if there are any bugs in it when it hits the public.

Rocket
03-06-2003, 05:29 PM
Saw one it can be handled, but it only beats my 475 Linebaugh by a slim margin for pure power if I load it to that amount. But the Linebaugh (Converted Ruger Bisley with 6" barrel) is much lighter and easier to pack. I would bet with the Barnes X bullet (i.e. lighter bullet) this 500 gun would be easy to control and shoot very flat.

I really like S&W especially anything out of the custom shop. I just bought the 629 comp Hunter model out or the Performance Shop, an awesome gun.

Love big bore guns rifle especially ML.

Kudo's to S&W for getting back into the saddle and being proactive instead of all the years under the managment of reactive liberals. Good folks now and great products.

Dean
03-06-2003, 06:14 PM
good luck is all I have to say!!!! Not me buddy, Iwas just up at the Harrisburg show a few weeks back and saw that Basners is making 50 cals in hunting configurations Light weights to boot.My God they are some big bullets one guy had one that was a 338-50 you had to see this thing. All I have to say is that there are really some very insane people out there that like to punish themselves for fun. Not for me . Hey Patrick how's that 260 rem lookin' these days? he he he

me
03-07-2003, 02:16 AM
Shu,

Where did you hear about Impactguns I thought only us ogdenites were privy to this great little store

shu
03-07-2003, 09:56 AM
Coruja-

I stumbled over ImpactGuns while looking for a decent price on a tactical flashlight... I've only ordered once but the service was good.

me
03-07-2003, 01:12 PM
Shu

Sorry to get off the subject, There good folks at Impact. I used to work for them when they were known as Shadow Valley Arms.

Back on the subject of mega revolvers, If shooting the smith&wesson is anything like a 50 BMG it sounds like alot of fun. They are big I've seen one hav'nt had the chance to shoot one yet.

elmbow
03-11-2003, 04:36 PM
Puhlease, has any one ever carried a 4 1/2 lb gun around on their hip? You're pants would look like a rap gangsta in about five minutes. The only way you could carry this thing is in a shoulder rig. And what about recoil? I shoot a custom Vaquero 5 1/2" .45 with 325 grain pills at 1200 fps and that is strictly a big game load. It is not pleasant to shoot. Guaranteed 95 % of the people who buy this artillery piece will port it and blast every one off the firing line at the range every time they pull the trigger. Just like the 30-378 guys that aren't men enough to handle the recoil. Not to mention the cost of ammo, even if you reload. No thanks, Gents, give me some ****** and I'll be on my way.

Elmbow

Dennis in VA
03-12-2003, 12:24 AM
I once knew of a feller that had a dose of that there Viargra and he accidently dropped it in the toilet when he opened up the package and he later told me that the lid stayed up for a week....

elmbow
03-12-2003, 12:22 PM
well, I can't speak to toilet lids.......

Ken
09-16-2003, 04:33 PM
I just returned home from shooting the big .500...WOW...what a cannon. That buddy of mine that I was trying to talk into buying the big Smith was very pleasantly surprised by his girlfriend with the .500 for his birthday. We put a box of the 275 gr. Barnes through the gun and it didn't seem too awful bad...then came the 400 grainers...ouch!! They had some wallop too them. After shooting the big guy a few times my Colt feels alot more manageable. What a riot to shoot though...big flames...horrendous boom (I couldn't imagine what it would sound like without plugs). It definately made my day. BTW the Barnes showed very little mushrooming in the sand bank...almost nonexistant...it made me wonder what it would take to make them expand? Any thoughts? The 400 gr. Hawks looked very nice...fully bloomed /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif ... jacket intact... I'll have to find out what one of the recoveries measures and weighs and report back.

imported_tom
09-17-2003, 10:11 AM
As tempting as it would be to own one, my 454 is all the handgun I want to shoot. I wonder if shot placement and accuracy is a factor with that gun when Mr G comes calling, hell the muzzle blast would probably drive him off and singe his hair

09-19-2003, 08:30 PM
To Ken,

Who needs expansion when you're making a .50 cal hole to begin with!?! The heavy bullets will be like the Energizer Bunny....they keep going and going and....

Rod

Ken
09-20-2003, 04:58 AM
Rod-
For sure there are no critters walking around these woods that would know the difference beetween an expanded x-bullet or a un-expanded x-bullet /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Sundles
09-29-2003, 05:29 AM
Friends,

I recieved a new 500 S&amp;W revolver several months ago from the S&amp;W officials. They got it to me so that I could start testing on factory loadings of 500S&amp;W ammo. We are currently offering three differnt factory loads in 500 S&amp;W. You can see them at <a href="http://www.buffalobore.com" target="_blank">http://www.buffalobore.com (http://www.buffalobore.com)</a>

First, in my opinion (my opinion only) the gun is too heavy to make sense as a handgun. I use handguns to carry all day in the mountans in a holster. I live in Griz. country and have been carrying a 500 Linebaugh for 17 years. The 500 S&amp;W is not portable in a holster in mountainous terrain. If I am going to carry something as heavy as the 500 S&amp;W, I'd prefer to carry a good Marlin 45-70 with Buffalo Bore ammo in it.

The 500 Linebaugh on a Bisley grip frame wieghs about half as much as the 500S&amp;W and is portable and powerful. The 500 Linebaugh hurls a 440gr. bullet at about 1350FPS out of a 5.5 inch barrel. The 500S&amp;W hurls the same wieght bullet at 1625FPS for substantialy more power, but alas, it weighs too much and is too clumsy to carry in a holster and use in the mountains. An earlier comment in this thread that said the 475 Linebaugh was nearly as powerful (when loaded to full potential) as the 500 S&amp;W is not correct. The 500 S&amp;W far out powers the 475 or 500 linebaugh with full power loads.

Further, the 500S&amp;W is experiencing a few mechanical problems that S&amp;W is going to have to address. I wont go into what they are, but they are very real and very bad. Simialr to the early model 29's when they came out in the 1950's.