PDA

View Full Version : Bataan March / Team Kifaru

Mel
12-18-2003, 05:01 PM
I just finished a 7 mile road march in my new Wellcos (VCL Desert), and they felt great. This was right out of the box, and with a 40lb Pointman on. The first pair of Wellcos I bought were too tight, which was my own fault, because I'm right on the line between a regular and a wide. I did 10 miles in the first pair and paid for it big time! I ordered the wides and just got them today. It definately made the difference. Now I've got a pair of just like new (only 10 miles on them) size 8R's that are up for sale. I'll sell them for $50.00 shipped (cost me $97.50 shipped). Contact me if you're interested. I ordered the boots direct from Wellco and received outstanding service. The contact number is 800-840-3155, then punch in extension #150, and speak with David Burnette. A great guy to deal with. If they don't have your size in stock, he will have them make a pair for you. That's it for now.

Mel

Jan
12-18-2003, 08:45 PM
Can only second Mel's account of the Wellco VCL. I got mine today and have been wearing them around the house all day. Real comfy right out of the box and light!!!!
What makes them even better: I totally covered mine in Obenaufs Boot Grease (best boot grease on earth in my opinion) and worked that stuff deep into the leather. That makes the rough leather super smooth and gives the whole boot a nice coyote color (since that seems to be hip these days /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif ).
I also got my Paraclete order today: several of their Upright Medium General Purpose pouces and a Camelbak cover, all in Coyote. That stuff rocks!
Too bad my packs won't get done in time for Christmas! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

cpt/en/ca
12-19-2003, 07:58 AM
Mel,

Santa is bringing my Wellcos on the big brown sleigh /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif The tracking elves said they would be here today !

I am still leaning between the pointman and MMR, how was the ride with 40lbs?

While I am at it, will a wiggy's ultralight (long) with bivy sack fit in a claymore, which in turn will fit in the bottom of the pointman?

Have a good weekend

Mel
12-19-2003, 11:38 AM
Looks like Wellcos are becoming the boot to wear for this event. Bring on the reviews.

Cpt: 40lbs in the Pointman was pure comfort. Absolutely no wear or tear on the body. It's like I never had a pack on, once I take it off after a workout.

I don't think a Wiggys Ultralight will go into a Claymore Pocket or a Long Pocket. It's the Long Pocket that mounts perfect into the bottom lid of a Pointman.

Mel

MATCHGRADE
12-20-2003, 01:56 AM
7 miles up BIg Rock Ridge today with 35lb emr and
Desert wellcos. No break in needed. No blisters, rubbing points, sore joints. 1000% more comfortable than my marine goretex wellcos and cfp-90. I would never go back. I've been wearing my pack+boots aound the house all day and I'm wearing them right now on my computer stool. Even if your reading this message in the future, I'll still be wearing them. Mel, My EMR carries the weight extreemly well, and compresses well, but would there be a major advantage in marching with a zulu or pointman?

Jan
12-20-2003, 06:43 AM
I want my MMR, dangit!!! Boooohooooo! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

MATCHGRADE
12-20-2003, 09:14 PM
Im assuming that synthetic khaki pants and an underarmor or similar shirt will do for the march,
I havent been able to find much info on desert hiking clothes. Any suggestions?

Jan
12-20-2003, 10:34 PM
Wear little clothing and a lot of sun protection! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
As civilians we have no dresscode, so whatever we like will work. Maybe Kifaru wants us to wear their shirts, although I'd rather not want to that (considering they're cotton)
We should have a special run of olive UnderArmour shirts with Kifaru logo! Cool!

Mel
12-21-2003, 09:01 AM
You guys should check out <a href="http://www.railriders.com" target="_blank">http://www.railriders.com (http://www.railriders.com)</a>

Mel

Tank_Killer
12-23-2003, 12:23 PM
Mel is right. The railriders shorts are excellent. Stay away from any dark colored clothing (even OD). You'll be suprised how much sun you get while on the course. Just about everyone makes a synthetic t-shirt now. I've had good luck with the Duofold varitec t-shirts. They cost about 1/3 as much as underarmor and about 1/2 of Nike, etc. I got mine at MCSS for a whopping $9.00, but I think Campmor has them in stock. A boonie hat is a must. I trimmed the brim of mine, for that wannabe operator look. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Jan
12-31-2003, 08:34 AM
Hey,
just finished a fairly decent 10k race. 42:15 ain't half bad, now is it? /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif