PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Elk hunting

Earl
03-03-2003, 02:27 PM
I need some advice and I think the people on this forum sound like they are very qualified to help. I would like to start bowhunting for elk in CO. I need advice on where to go. I want to pack into the wilderness, 3-5 miles?. I don't care about antlers as much as I do about seeing
elk, having a good time, experiencing the wilderness, and maybe with a little luck, bringing home some elk meat. I already have 1 preference point. I am 41 years old, in reasonably good shape by eastern standards. I occasionally do a little camping, backpacking and hunting in the Adirondacks. Any help or advice anybody can give me would muchly appreciated. Thanks!
P.S. I was maybe thinking the Flat tops, some where between the N. and S. branches of the White River?

Kmassaro
03-03-2003, 04:53 PM
Earl, there are a couple of very good spots in Unit 12, which is west of Yampa. Get a Routt National Forest and a White River National Forest Map for starters. Then, it will be easier to talk specifics.

Dave R.
03-03-2003, 07:29 PM
Earl....I can give you good leads in the Hunter- Frying Pan Wilderness near Aspen if you are looking at that neck of the White River Forest.

Dave Roth

Earl
03-05-2003, 01:19 PM
Dave;
Thanks for the help,but I think I'll look into the Flat Topps area more. Sure would like a rain check on those leads if things don't work out in the Flat Topps. Thanks again.

Earl
03-05-2003, 02:18 PM
Kevin;
Yes, I would be interested in Unit 12, the hunting stats look good there. I'm also interested in area 24 because of it's wilderness aspect. I have an Atlas of CO, and topo maps. Have you hunted either of these areas before? Any further help you could give me would be appreciated. thanks, Earl

Kmassaro
03-05-2003, 04:48 PM
Earl,

Give me your email address. I won't post places to go on the WWW for all to see.

Buckram
03-06-2003, 11:04 PM
Dave,

I'd like to trade some thoughts on what you know about the Hunter-Fryingpan. Please e-mail me - buckram@aol.com - thanks, JOHN

Earl
03-07-2003, 03:00 PM
Kevin, email me at espicer1@rochester.rr.com- thanks

Dave R.
03-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Heads up Buckram...

Email on the way....

Dave Roth

paonia coyote
03-07-2003, 08:26 PM
I have only been in the flatops wilderness during the summer. It is loaded with elk. Herds of up to 100 seen several times. My understanding is that the elk get run off the top and into the side canyons early. If you hunt archery season, I recommend the week preceding muzzle loader season. There is good fishing in the rivers and the Marvines and Trappers Lake. Most of the little lakes up on top have no fish.