PDA

View Full Version : advice on ramblers

copper
03-02-2003, 09:44 AM
Right now my little warchest consists of a 12 guage pump, .223 for silouettes, and a 6.5mm husquvarna. I've been reading a lot of Patrick's work on the rambler as a concept. While I have not lived the dream of Elk, I wondered if anyone has advice on what kind of rambler setup would work in NY. Line of sight is usually well inside 300yds, and I would like a rifle that works from deer to small-game or target-shooting. Patrick likes 2-7x scopes, I think. What barrels and what scope configurations do you guys think would be a good start? Also, Patrick, would "said setup" ever be able to accomodate a barrel for elk at a later time??

Thanks,
copper

Dean
03-02-2003, 01:35 PM
Cooper if you read Patricks essays you will see that he very much likes the 260 and 358 calibers for his rambler , and for where we live the 260 will kill anything that runs around here. The questions that you did not answer is will you be reloading or buying stock ammo for this gun ?If you want one caliber that would be good for deer and elk I would recomend the 7mm rem. but that is just my opinion everyone has a different caliber that they like it all comes down to what do you like to shoot because there are bigger and smaller calibers that will kill anything up to elk. The 270 is another example of this. If you are the type of guy who like to take 500 yard shots on a regular basis then opt for a larger caliber for more retained energy at longer distances if you like to try to get within bow range before you shoot it really doesnt make a lot of difference what you shoot within reason. If guys are out there killing stuff with a stick and a string almost any caliber will do as long as you can put the bullet where it needs to go.

copper
03-02-2003, 02:05 PM
Dean,

I see what you're saying. I've actually been looking hard at that 7mm-08 but I don't know anyone who uses it. With a rambler setup, my concern was which "2" barrels would best suit the widest range of shooting. For me, this seems to be targets to deer. I have never had a clean shot over 300yds in this area so it doesn't narrow down too many caliber choices. A lot of buddies go with 30-06 "just because". With all the possible choices to hit a deer, I guess I just want to find the right choice for everything smaller??? Thanks for kicking in; I read Patrick's essays and should do more research on 260 as well.

copper

copper
03-02-2003, 02:06 PM
Sorry, I won't be reloading at this time.

03-02-2003, 09:46 PM
I lived around Albany/Troy for 17 years. We used to spend the summers hunting groundhogs on my grandfathers dairy farm. I think the best choice for groundhogs would be the .243. I would get the .308 for deer and future elk. If you ever go to Alaska you can then get the .358 to fit the same Model 7 action.

Dean
03-03-2003, 03:25 PM
I see we are gathering quite a NY contingent here. Bryce I just came through your neck of the woods this past weekend I had to go up to Utica on business. Nice to meet you guys.

Dean
03-03-2003, 03:32 PM
Cooper... I have a friend that hunts with the
7-08 he is a former gunsmith for stoger arms down in NJ he has it in Rem stainless stalker variety and loves it very universal gun just check available bullet weights for your small game interests. I dont do much small game except for Turkey with a scatter gun , however I would like to go after some of those yotes they are hammering my birds.

Paul
03-04-2003, 10:29 AM
Copper,

I have a 7-08 rambler with a 1.75-6X Leupold scope, and believe this set up would work perfectly for the situations you have described. Lots of bullet choices over the counter, and even more if you start rolling your own. With a good bullet, I would not hesitate to shoot an elk with this gun, out to about 300 yards. Recoil with this gun is much less than I expected, and with lighter bullets will work great for small game as well. One big advantage I have noticed, and Patrick doesn't promote, is with the detachable barrel, cleaning the gun is very easy! So if I could only pick one caliber, the 7-08 would be the easy choice.

Paul

pointer
03-05-2003, 03:13 PM
Paul- What kind of accuracy are you getting with your Rambler?

PS- If you are who I think you are, I'm still crossing my fingers for that Desert Bighorn tag!!

Paul
03-06-2003, 10:56 AM
Pointer,

I get better than 1" 3 shot groups when I do my part. Very pleased with the accuracy of my gun. Yes I am looking forward to that Utah sheep hunt some day!

Paul

pointer
03-06-2003, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm looking into getting a LIGHT rifle in the next few years and appreciate you relating your experience. Looks like I'm going to get my first real view of some MT country in May. I'll be in Deer Lodge, MT for two weeks for a field course. Can't wait to see the country up there.

BTW- A new state record Desert Bighorn was killed this year!!