PDA

View Full Version : 44 mag. seating depth

Greg
03-01-2003, 11:33 PM
Could anyone give me any advice on double cannalure bullets. I need to know the charge difference between the bottom and top cannalure. (Keeping the same pressure while having increased velocity from using the bottom cannalure on 300gr. jacketed bullets.)

Rocket
03-02-2003, 09:05 AM
Greg what is the particuler bullet you are using the Sierra 300 grain? The XTP? What charge you looking at and what primer? Who's brass? If you give me these things I may be able to recommend a load as I have loaded and tested many rounds of 44.

bigbore442001
03-02-2003, 06:37 PM
I believe you are referring to the 300 grain Hornady XTP. I wouldn't worry too much because the max load can still be used with the top crimp groove. I'm not exactly sure why they put that extra crimp groove in. The max load with powders like WW296 and H110 need 99 to 100% maximum capacity to burn effectively. If you were to use the max load with the bullet extended by the lower crimp gooove, the powder wouldn't burn efficiently. You'ld actually get lower velocities.

Rocket
03-03-2003, 05:41 AM
H110 is the best 44 powder velocity for the particuler pressure. The upper crimp groove was designed for lever action guns and getting the bullet through the loading gate.

Greg
03-03-2003, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the info. Rocket and bigbore. Rocket, could you provide me with a minimum and maximum load for the Hornady XTP 300 gr.bullet using only the bottom cannalure (crimp). I have Win.,Rem., and Federal brass and Federal large magnum pistol primers #155. If I need to use something else feel free to give advice. These loads would be for a Ruger Redhawk with a 5.5 inch barrel. Thanks, Greg.

Rocket
03-03-2003, 04:15 PM
Starting 17.6 grains of H110 with max load of 19.6 grains. 7.5" barrel will give you around 1250 FPS with the max load. Approach the max load with caution as with any handload. Watch for flattened primers or sticky cases if you get that reduce the loads by 1/2 grain and try again if the cases drop easy you should be alright. Every gun has its own personality so load for your gun and do not exceeed the max.

I can also tell you that in penetration test the 300 grain XTP was the only jacketed HP bullet that did as well as equal weight hard cast WFN bullets. In other words it is great performer for deep epnetration on big bad game animals.

A heavy crimp is nessecary with H110. Never reduce loads by more than 10%

Greg
03-04-2003, 09:21 AM
Thanks Rocket, I'll give it a try.