PDA

View Full Version : Lower back problems.

Danner
03-01-2003, 11:00 PM
Does any one out there have any or many lower back problems. I have had one lower back surgery 11 years ago. two years ago I changed my big game hunting to packing in a base camp and then working out from there. Carrying loads as much as 85 lbs seems to be about my limit for any distance at all. This summer I will train with weight in my pack so I will be ready for fall bear season. Does any body have any good news for a stong will pushing bad back.

Chuck
03-03-2003, 04:08 PM
Sounds like you are doing things right. I suggest staying in the base camp, drink beer, rest that back and wait for the bear to come by. Good Luck.

Joe
04-02-2003, 06:01 PM
Danner,
If you're packing 85 lbs, you don't have a back problem!! Seriously, have the top three vertabrae in your neck aligned as misalignment of those usually cause most lower back problems.

buck
04-02-2003, 08:25 PM
I know they are controversial but I, and many I know, swear by chiropractors--good ones obviously.

BB

Danner
04-02-2003, 08:33 PM
Joe thanks for the reply. I might have to have that checked in the future. One might think backpacking would be hard on your back never had any trouble when out in the field. Just looking for some input never know what you might learn. I do know from the number of times my back has gone out, if it goes out while in the field my hunting partner sure has his work cut out for him. No worries!!!

Danner
04-02-2003, 08:48 PM
Buck in my mind there is no doubt that a good chiropracter helps, when I have trouble I have one that I see. I would avoid one that whats to see ya three times a week and after the tenth vist you get a tee shirt. I also find a good massage can help.

Oz
04-03-2003, 12:25 AM
Danner, I too have had to deal with some lower back maladies over the years, but one fundamental thing always comes back around- what kind of shape I happen to be in at the time, more pointedly, how conditioned are my abdominals. They are the key to the stability of the midsection, and it doesnt take but a few days of crunches and other ab specific workouts to notice results in decreased pain or it dissappearing altogether. Just what works for me, but I've heard this from others as well. Good luck with it, Oz

NYJim
04-03-2003, 05:55 PM
Danner,
I second Oz's opinions. Having a desk job just about destroyed my low back. It was an easy fix though, just strengthening the abs, and for me, streching out my hamstrings and hip flexors.

85Lbs is a good size load, I assume this is your kill you will be carrying? What kind of pack do you use? Make sure the weight is tranfered to that hip belt.

-Jim

Danner
04-03-2003, 07:51 PM
Thanks guys for the input.The backpack I use is a Bull Pack made in Idaho. And yes the only time my pack sees 85lbs is getting game out.My pack hunting seems to be around 25lbs and the longest I have hunted from my pack alone is two nights and loaded its about 42lbs, would like it lighter. I do find after hunting season that I have no or little back pain for a couple months.

04-09-2003, 05:40 PM
NYJim, What exercise do you do for hip flexors?

NYJim
04-09-2003, 06:19 PM
Hi 7mm,

Of course everyone's problems are different, but..

For hip flexors (Psoas muscles) I do streches. This page shows how they attach to your leg and lower spine. Sitting most of the day, every day can shorten these muscles, and cause a pull on your lower back. http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/Iliopsoas.html

Here is how I strech
http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/HipFlexors/Lunge.html

For my issues, streching these muscles and ham strings are what helped quite a bit.

Sorry if this post is to off topic!
-Jim

04-10-2003, 03:34 PM
NYJim,
Thanks, I changed jobs about and sit even more than I used to. Been haveing pain down the backs of my legs. I tried the stretches and those are the muscles that have been bothering me.

MikeM
04-10-2003, 05:23 PM
Jim - thanks for sharing the site link.
MikeM

elmbow
04-12-2003, 01:03 PM
85 lbs??? you're an animal! You don't have back problems!!! Abs are the key! I find a cable cross machine works good for strengthening your torso twisting muscles.
I was carrying a 5 gal water bladder on top of my pack to set up a base camp on a desert sheep hunt one time so I was pretty top heavy. I went head over heels on a boulder field and my brand new Browning 1885 w/ Vari x III went flying. It still shot to zero after that but took some pretty good dings.