PDA

View Full Version : Waist belt and pouches - too far back on other packs

rhunter424
02-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Recently I went to a local camping store and was just trying on other packs. Every pack I tried on had pockets on the waistbelt, and they felt like they were placed too close to the pack and not forward enough. It was very unnatural to turn and look down and back into the waistbelt pocket. To put the placement on a clock, think between the 9 and 10, and 2 and 3.

Has anyone else noticed this before? On all my kifaru packs, my waistbelt pouches (TT 1H) start on the first molle column. I'm wondering if my belt is too big w/ it compressed almost all the way and I got used to the pockets being closer upfront.

sab
02-03-2011, 03:19 PM
I wear a small Kifaru belt, and anything mounted on the waist belt always seems too far back for me! There just isn't enough real-estate in front. Perhaps the packs you tried on had shorter side belts (the thick part, before it tapers to the smaller belt width in front)?

Scott

straps
02-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Mid-market/low-market crap is designed to look good on the rack and make money. ZERO thought goes into ergonomics.

I'm presuming that you're talking about quality upper tier gear?

These companies actually do pretty good research on their user base, and optimize dimensions around median/modal numbers.

If you're looking at some of that gear fancied by ultralite enthusiasts (those weirdos who spend $1K on a spring loadout so they can RUN from the trailhead to the campsite and set up their solar-powered satellite internet access, then re-constitute their vegan mock meat stew in a titanium cookset), you might be a little larger than their targeted user base. Not calling you fat, mind you. Just saying.

How many companies other than Kifaru ask you for a waist measurement so they can size your belt properly? How many ask about your torso length or back profile? Not many...

Far as Kifaru belt sizing, I have Medium and Large Omni belts that carry me between seasons, equipment configurations and allow me to loan the pack out. Honestly though, I can say from having neglected to swap the belt out after getting the pack back from some wiry little knob fresh out of jump school it hasn't mattered much. I would be inclined to say that as long as your belt isn't overlapping in the front you're GTG.

rhunter424
02-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Maybe you need a medium belt? I've only ever had a medium belt, but I could probably manage with a small in the summer months w/out the bulk of clothing.

Yeah all the pouches were almost where the delta straps connect to the kifaru waist belts. It just seems odd to me, but since almost all of the "big" civie pack makers have this I figured I was missing something.

This picture kinda shows what I'm talking about. See how far back the pouch looks on the waistbelt.
http://www.leelau.net/Misc/ospreybikepack/packIMG_5519.jpg

straps
02-03-2011, 06:22 PM
I wear a small Kifaru belt, and anything mounted on the waist belt always seems too far back for me! There just isn't enough real-estate in front. Perhaps the packs you tried on had shorter side belts (the thick part, before it tapers to the smaller belt width in front)?

Scott

You might wanna call the shop about a Medium if this is an issue...

Every once in a while belts appear in the Trading Post; I wouldn't imagine you're the first/only who's had this issue...

rhunter424
02-03-2011, 06:29 PM
And to give a better idea, here's my current set up
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_T6CnQq4GoiE/TUtWPj1pUSI/AAAAAAAABnI/8v36UiEdDCs/s800/0203112025.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_T6CnQq4GoiE/TUtWP-ERlXI/AAAAAAAABnM/VxAbSbXcM_M/s800/0203112026.jpg

sab
02-03-2011, 07:17 PM
You might wanna call the shop about a Medium if this is an issue...

Every once in a while belts appear in the Trading Post; I wouldn't imagine you're the first/only who's had this issue...

Funny you should mention that, Straps! My original medium belt has been for sale in the Trading Post for a couple months. I started with a medium, but I'm right on the cutoff between medium and small, and when I'm at my "fighting weight", the medium goes buckle-to-buckle before it's tight enough...

Scott

BuckarooMedic
02-04-2011, 12:29 AM
Ryan,

That's about where/how my belt fits too. I seem to remember that the Omni belt size is good, as long as you have at least two to three inches of space between the actual belt ends. I tend to have the actual buckle width and an inch or two of space left when I have my belt cinched down.

I think the reason a lot of the civy packs have the little pockets located where they do is because they are "afterthoughts". Someone on the design team said; "hey wow, we've got this little triangular piece of material where the belt attaches to the pack. Let's add a zipper and voila, a pocket. Let the marketing guys figure out what to do with it."

I try to keep any pockets, on my Omni belts, at around 3 and 9 o'clock. This keeps them within easy view and reach and they don't interfere with my legs when walking, especially going uphill.

Take care,

steveb
02-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Ah, the old ideal waistbelt size debate. IME, you want at LEAST a couple inches between belt tips (about the width of the buckle on a Kifaru) when cinched tightly. About 4 to 6 inches is optimum for me. Even up to 10 inches between tips is satisfactory. This becomes very important as the load goes up. It is better to have a belt a little small than too big, or you will not be able to cinch it tight enough and the pack will tend to sag downward with a big load. If your belt ends almost touch, I think it best to go a size smaller. It's only about a 4 inch difference between sizes.

I have medium belts, and I'm thinking about getting additional small ones for the packs I use mainly in warmer months. I have a 33 to 34 waist.

P.S. Straps, your depiction of the UL granola was spot on...very funny!

andyoz
02-07-2011, 08:40 AM
I have seen a couple of reasonably high end packs with these little pockets. I think the answer is as BuckerooMedic says, just to use up the space.

1) On the small cycling hydration type packs I guess it makes sense to have it far back so if the waist strap (usually thin) is used it isn't interfer with the peddle pushing action.

2) I've also seen these pockets on winter daypack sized climbing packs. Sometimes under the crappy loop designed to clip gear on. I presume they are intended for keys and stuff that you wouldn't need to access until you come off the hill and want to get back into your car without diving main into the pack. The lid pockets on most packs have got larger so you'd have to fish about inside for the keys and if not lanyarded it's pretty easy to drop them over the edge of a crag when getting your bacon roll (never done that honest).

3) My personal theory is that these pockets are breeeding grounds for fluff covered old half chewed sweets. That's what always seems to be in there everytime I've been handed one of those packs.

Pardner
02-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Regarding the pads touching on the Omni belt, here's an oldie from the designer himself where I ask him about belts:

http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?14477-Waist-Belts&p=159892#post159892

(Pardner)
One question for Mel or others out there, with the belt all cinched up and tight, how far apart should the ends of the padded area be? Are 8 inches too far apart? Are 2 inches too close? These situations come about when you add layers in winter or when someone much smaller/much bigger uses the pack.

(Patrick)
Pardner, two inches is fine. Even pads touching is copacetic. But 8 inches apart is a bit much for real comfort; you'd want a larger size belt.

testedone
03-10-2011, 06:19 AM
so the 3-4 inches I have showing is ok...