PDA

View Full Version : Patching UL holes?

twistedturtle
02-01-2011, 02:06 PM
I have had some ultralight pullouts for a while now and one of them has finally succumbed to a pokey object and developed a small tear. Is there a way to patch this? It doesn't look like a material that would take well to a traditional sew job and I'm not sure if super glue would hold on it.

Anyone have advice on patching these?

Thanks

mgutman
02-01-2011, 03:09 PM
depending on the size you can use shoe goo or the silicon seam sealer (which is just your standard silicon you get in the tube for sealing tile at the hardware store). If bigger I've had good success using a patch from a sleeping pad smoothed over with a thin coat of shoe good to eliminate any rough edges that can catch. Finally, I've been playing with sail tape too but the haven't perfected the method. It's great for temp repairs in the field but I've found the shoe goo coat to be the best. Curious to hear what others say as well.

Kyle
02-01-2011, 03:54 PM
+1 on shoe-goo and seam sealer. I just used seam sealer on an OR silnyl sack this weekend. Works for me, but like mgutman I would like to hear what others have used.

twistedturtle
02-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the quick response. Do you have better luck using the patch/ goo on the inside or the outside of the pouch?

mgutman
02-01-2011, 07:35 PM
I've always gone on the outside with repairs but don't know why it wouldn't work on the inside.

twistedturtle
02-01-2011, 09:18 PM
Much appreciated... I'm surprised my little one has survived as long as it has. I'll get some goo and a patch on there so it can continue to fight the good fight.

Whitepalm
02-02-2011, 10:32 PM
Much appreciated... I'm surprised my little one has survived as long as it has. I'll get some goo and a patch on there so it can continue to fight the good fight.

Line the tear up evenly tensioned and scotch tape it (or packaging tape), turn inside out and goo the inside. After it dries pull the tape and you'll have a pretty clean repair. Maybe this is the method you were going to use, just thought I would throw it out there.

John Havard
02-03-2011, 08:12 AM
The UL's are made from the same material (only doubled) as the tipis so a rip or tear will be doubly hard to achieve. But as we all know, stuff happens.

A few years ago while moose hunting in a remote area of Alaska I touched the wall of my 16-man tipi with a sharp broadhead and the inevitable cut (about 1") happened. I used a repair tape from REI that's intended for repairing holes in tents and tarps. The temperature was very cold and the tape didn't stick perfectly well but it held long enough to finish the hunt.

When I got back to town I wiped the area clean and smeared a bit of silicon seam sealer on the inside of the cut and then used that to "glue" a small patch of sil-nylon to the inside of the tipi. After that dried I repeated the same thing on the outside. It has held together since that time through some hellacious winds and weather. The patch is fairly unobtrusive and also adds to the bona fides of my tipi - sort of like how duct tape adds to the bona fides of a down coat. Gives it the "been there and done that" look.

I guess you can take the boy out of Alaska but you can't take Alaska out of the boy.

billybass
02-03-2011, 11:41 AM
I would use silicone or silnet seam sealer otherwise the patch may not stick. Not sure if Shoe-Goo will bond to silnylon, might want to check the label. I have always made a small patch from a scrap of material, paint some silicone on the area just a little bigger then the patch, apply patch and make sure edges are pressed down good into the silicone. If the other side is exposed you can repeat the patch process or just paint some silicone over the cut or tear.