PDA

View Full Version : 3 day pack with more as an option?

pointer
02-28-2003, 11:16 AM
I've been thinking about this and was wondering what you thought of this idea. I really like the idea of a 3 day pack, but would like to be able to adjust the pack for a bit longer if I wanted. Which do you think would work better.

#1. Longhunter as a base. Take off the bag and use a lighter one for three day and shorter trips.

#2. Pointman as a base, use as is for 3 day and under trips. For anything over 3 days use the webbing to add more pockets. I noticed one of the pockets adds over 600ci of space.

What do you think?

Tyde
02-28-2003, 12:16 PM
Pointer,
I have a Longhunter Rondy. It is the BIGGEST pack that Kifaru curently makes (8500 cin.), even including their military line. I have yet to find a bigger pack. You may ask where I am going with this, but bear with me. I helped haul in a friends moose camp and hauled out a moose. I did not hunt with this friend I just wanted to try this pack out with heavy loads and varrying terrain. Now as to my own hunting, This same pack was my day bag for a sheep hunting trip and for my foraging for my own moose. The secret is the cinch straps and the chair. I never took the main bag off. I have the hood set up with my possibles pouch, meat handling gear (knife, bags, and pemit/license), and spare ammo (10 rds.). If you are a hunter and are planning to haul out meat or haul in camp, and want a day pack for hunting, this is the do it all pack.

As for a Pointman/Spikecamp, I will be getting one for my personal day-to-day and air travel. It will be lighter, shorter, but still be able to carry a load in a pinch. But this bag will not be for me to use during hunting. I might let one of the kids use it, as they can't haul that much yet. But, that will proably be the only way the smaller bag will go hunting.

Personally, I don't know why a big game hunter wouldn't buy the Longhunter. You can throw a whole moose quarter inside the bag, one of the meat baggies, and stuff part of you camp around the hock and move out. The only reason it would take 4 (5 if BIG moose) trips is personal carrying capacity. And yet, cinch that sucker down and you have a day pack that can haul your kill back to camp on your first trip. No going back to get your pack board that you left at camp because it is cumbersome and noisy. You have it all right there.

Hope I didn't take to long to spell that out, but get the Longhunter. You won't be disapointed.

Good Luck and Good Hunting
Tyde

paonia coyote
03-01-2003, 12:46 PM
I use the long hunter with just the main bag as a day pack. It does not seem to be to much, as I carry a lot of spare clothes. When I get an animal down, I can carry a big load of meat out on the first trip. I get it hung up in brush sometimes, but everything gets hung in brush sometimes down in my favorite elk hole.

Nevada Dan
03-01-2003, 10:15 PM
From FNAWS and RMEF Elk Camp- Patrick and his crew will be releasing a backpacking version of the Pointman later this year, for those of us who backpack, but don't make our living parachuting out of planes. I believe he is thinking of calling it "The Late Season". I tried the Pointman on at the FNAWS Convention and found it to be a very, very comfortable pack (3,000 cubic inches)

-Dan

Kevin
03-01-2003, 10:36 PM
To be fair, Tyde is a portable skyscraper, while someone my height (5'6") finds the Longhunter to be a bit big to carry on my back all day, full or not. Much as I love my Longhunter, it's the Spike Camp that gets the call as a day pack most of the time.

All the same, Tyde's welcome to come to my hunting spot with the Longhunter on all day and pack my elk out if he wants. I'll be happy to provide the beer and good food at the truck.

Sgathak
03-02-2003, 08:56 PM
Any ideas when the backpacking pointman will be available? any ideas on Colors? This would be perfect for my Girlfriend.

(took out alot of stuff so I dont hijack the thread too much. will make a new post with it in the Military section)

Tyde
03-03-2003, 10:46 AM
Kevin,
Thanks for the kind words? I guess I should qualify my responses so that people know where I am coming from. I'm that guy in the office that everyone asks "where'd you play football?" (6'2", 265#)

Beer at the truck, hey. Seems you get more work out of a mule with that carrot in front of him. If you need a hand let me know. I like to learn new hunting techniques.

Good Luck and Good Hunting
Tyde