PDA

View Full Version : Help with dang Platypus bag!

Buckram
02-27-2003, 08:30 PM
Aaargh! For some background, I have had my Longhunter for a couple of seasons now - and I have tried and tried to convert myself to that dang Platypus bag ....... and I hate it! I have used Nalgene bottles forever and I can't seem to get used to the dang bag. Can somebody help me before I lose my mind?

In the summer, the tube gets hot and makes the water taste nasty. In the winter, the dang tube freezes so I have to work it to get my water out. On top of that, this weekend while hiking for a lion, after I finally got it thawed out, I lost the bite valve in some thick brush and had to deal with a valveless tube for rest of the day. I finally figured out how to put an air gap in the tube by tying it in a loose knot so I would save what water I had left.

Any suggestions?

Tim in Nevada
02-27-2003, 08:46 PM
Buckram, try blowing the tube full of air so the liquid goes back into the bag. Works great to keep from getting hot in the summer and frozen in the winter. Tim.

Dan D
02-28-2003, 06:20 AM
Buckram,
I use Tims idea too(blowing the water back) It works. They also sell a foam type sleeve and valve cover that you can add for insulation. It helps but blowing the water out I think works best. When it is really cold, after blowing the water out, I will keep the end of the tube with the valve down inside my coat or vest. The body heat keeps the moisture in the valve from icing up. Dan

shu
02-28-2003, 08:11 AM
Buckram-

I will third the blowback trick. I took to the water bladders right away as I tend not to stop and drink as often as I should when using bottles. I still use nalgene (or Hunersdorf) in very cold weather, though.

shu

Sgathak
03-02-2003, 08:38 PM
Blowback is usually the most common trick, but it reduces the "sloshlessness" (helps keep you quiet) of the system. But thats a small thing.

You can get hose/tube covers (In camo colors... OD, Desert, Black) as well as cold weather mouthpiece covers. And a finger-turn shut off valve for the system as well...

Not as simple but it preserves the sloshless advantage and is another avenue to explore

Buckram
03-03-2003, 02:57 AM
Thanks for the help guys - I did try the blowback method - actually, it was the first thing I thought of. As I think about it, I had the day pack loaded with stuff and compressed against the bag. I seemed to get some water being pushed out - I guess I could have re-packed the weight lower. Also, whenver I would lean forward, remember this wasn't packing down a trail, I would end up with a quick siphon and water running down in front of me!

I'm going to keep trying - I'll get a back-up valve and try some of the other techniques listed. Thanks all.