PDA

View Full Version : plastic boots

EyeDoc
02-27-2003, 07:09 PM
Does anyone have any advise or experience with plastic boots for sheep & goat hunting. My outfitter is recommending Koflach boots.

4214chip
02-27-2003, 09:15 PM
EyeDoc,

Check out this link. When you get to the link, type in "Koflach boots" in the search area (the white rectangle), then click on "start search", then click on the two pages on "Sheep Hunting Boots".

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/forum_archives/_vti_bin/shtml.exe/search.htm

I have used the Meindl Canada boot from Cabela's (a stiff leather boot) on several Dall sheep backpack hunts, and one goat hunt. They performed well. I would like more ankle support and stiffer soles in the really steep country when side-hilling with a full pack. For these type of hunts, I also recommend a walking type ice ax. They are much stouter than most walking sticks, and come in handy if/when you need to chop some hand or foot holds in glacier country. Your outfitter may have one that you can use. If not, they are available from Barney's in Anchorage.

Where are you headed and when? Are you going after both sheep and goat, or just one of them?

Bernie

shu
02-28-2003, 08:05 AM
Eyedoc-

Which Koflach boot is he recommending? I was thinking both the Para and Hunter were discontinued (although that doesn't mean they can't still be found someplace). I think their latest plastic 'hiker' is the Degre.

While I have never had the opportunity to chase sheep, I have played with the plastics a bit for winter use. The Scarpa Inverno fits me well (I need to go up a full size), isn't terrible to walk in (takes some getting used to) and they have a reputation for durability. Bottom line with plastics, though, is fit. You will hear it everywhere when dealing with plastic boots--they don't break in, you do, so it pays to try on several makes and sizes to get one that works for you.

I wish I were going...

shu

Patrick
02-28-2003, 08:45 AM
EyeDoc--

My old Koflach Hunters have taken me many a mile chasing sheep, bears and such up AK way. Combined with Glacier Sox you can mosey thru anything. Barneys used to have 'em both; also the long walking ice axes, which are a very good idea. Good luck and shoot straight!

BTW, I'm tapping this out on a computer in the Business Office at the Reno Hilton. We're exhibiting at the Elk Camp (RMEF Annual Convention) which is underway. Good Show, as always. Hope to see some of you in the next few days.

Shu, I've been meaning to ask--and may as well do it on this post--where in the "Buffalo Commons" are you? And I reckon I may as well ask if you think The Commons will, can, ever come to pass? Answer on the Political Board if you like.

Patrick

shu
03-05-2003, 09:10 AM
Patrick-

The Buffalo Commons already exist to some extent, at least here in North Dakota and adjacent eastern Montana & western South Dakota. The small towns are disappearing, fewer folks are staying on the land, and the remaining farms and ranches are becoming larger operations run by fewer individuals. Bison are becoming common, primarily as an alternative livestock. And there is an increasing trend toward removing lands from production and restoring grassland cover.

However, I don't believe it will ever evolve into the 'Utopia' envisioned by the Great Plains Restoration Council (http://www.gprc.org/Buffalo_Commons.html) .

shu

Patrick
03-05-2003, 09:25 AM
Shu--

No, it'll never come to pass. Still, there is something within me that hankers for a straight-line Ramble, from horizon to horizon, day after day, across the Great Plains. Alas, it will remain the stuff of dreams. Patrick

12-17-2003, 04:13 PM
Check out those guys from Illinois and have hunted in the moutain. They work in a podiatry office taking care of feet day to day. They fit boot specifically disigned for that kind of hunting that your talking about. I noticed that they have an ad in the latest FNAWS magazine. Looks like a new approach to sheep hunting or just hunting in the mountains. Jim <a href="http://www.bowsite2.com/lathrop/" target="_blank">http://www.bowsite2.com/lathrop/ (http://www.bowsite2.com/lathrop/)</a>

Stephen Lathrop
12-17-2003, 05:26 PM
I finaly got myself logged in on this damm thing!
Lets talk boots.
Plastic boots, had a pair sent to me by Scarpa to try on.
I will say this you guys probably have more time in them then I ever will, but here is what I thought.
1) Defenetly technical boots!
2) Maybe overkill for most mountain hunting.
3) Im sure they would work great on ice packs were crampons are needed, but remember Meindl makes class D&amp;C rated leather crampon compatable boots.
4) Wondered about the lack of toe spring for long walks.
5) Im sure that because the boots lock your foot and ankle so well blisters are almost nill.
6)The scarpa inverno we tried made some noise while walking.
7)would be warm because of closed cell bootie.
8)I was almost ready to carry but didnt know how many guys realy needed this kind of boot.
9) The boots are very bad ass!! And I sure wouldnt want to get kicked in the nuts when some one had them on!!
Fill me in with some more info maybe Ill sell them &amp; offer a custom system for them!
later Stephen
I forgot, Vern AK I need to e-mail you a picture of Mr. drop tine, I think you will like it I tried but it wouldnt go through.

Stephen Lathrop
12-17-2003, 05:27 PM
I finaly got myself logged in on this damm thing!
Lets talk boots.
Plastic boots, had a pair sent to me by Scarpa to try on.
I will say this you guys probably have more time in them then I ever will, but here is what I thought.
1) Defenetly technical boots!
2) Maybe overkill for most mountain hunting.
3) Im sure they would work great on ice packs were crampons are needed, but remember Meindl makes class D&amp;C rated leather crampon compatable boots.
4) Wondered about the lack of toe spring for long walks.
5) Im sure that because the boots lock your foot and ankle so well blisters are almost nill.
6)The scarpa inverno we tried made some noise while walking.
7)would be warm because of closed cell bootie.
8)I was almost ready to carry but didnt know how many guys realy needed this kind of boot.
9) The boots are very bad ass!! And I sure wouldnt want to get kicked in the nuts when some one had them on!!
Fill me in with some more info maybe Ill sell them &amp; offer a custom system for them!
later Stephen
I forgot, Vern AK I need to e-mail you a picture of Mr. drop tine, I think you will like it I tried but it wouldnt go through.

Kevin
12-17-2003, 06:39 PM
I am a new convert to the Lathrop boot system. They know what they are doing. And my feet are grateful. Money well spent.

muddy_spud
12-17-2003, 07:47 PM
Stephen and others,

Interesting info re: the Lathrop Boot System. I do have a question or maybe its a prayer I hope to have answered. I have been fortunate enough to have inherited arthritic knees from my grandfather and father. I am already using GAC and it has been beneficial, but I still feel a difference between the daily grind and grinding in the hills.

My questions would be 1.) will this system increase my performance on a day to day basis now? and 2.) will this system if employed on a full time basis increase the long term life expectancy of my knees?

Harry

Steven B
12-17-2003, 10:58 PM
Harry

My wife has advanced arthritis.(Same as her mom and grand mom) Is GAC a drug?

Staying active is a big help. She has a prescribed once a day exercise routine. Takes 10 minutes. There are some drugs but not sure of the variety.

I'd think for arthritis less weight would be a good thing to look for in a boot. Maybe a stable footwear may help stable the knees too I've not tried Lathrop Boots. I hunt in a rainy climate and use Xtratuff boots. Not too stable. Made of rubber.
http://www.madsens1.com/xtratuff2.htm

For those interested they come with corks too. I have a pair for packing out game or hunting in a heavy rain/snow when the sound of rocks against the metal won't matter. The Corks are golf spikes.
http://www.madsens1.com/xtratuff.htm

Like other water proof material boot wear the right sock combo and dry feet all day. Rain gear required in some situations. I never use cotton socks and no leather boots if it's wet conditions.

The makers of XtraTuff also make Mucks. These are very comfy I hear. My wife bought a pair to hunt in. They fit her better than XtraTuff did. I may try Mucks soon. Two treads to choose from. I believe they are a very light boot too.

Ranpro makes a boot that is ultra light. It is ridged material where as XtraTuffs are a flexible rubber. I tested on at a trade show and had fitting problems but they had traction and insulation galore.
http://www.ranpro.com/Category.asp?CategoryID=10
I've been working at sea &amp; hunting in XtraTuff boots since the late 70's. I think it's the most common boot used in Alaska on boats and probably land too.

Steven

Stan
12-18-2003, 03:18 AM
Meindles are the cat's "behind" for me for rough, steep country. The plastics are probably great for this, but seem less versatile to me for other terrain (but I haven't tried them). For long miles on hard packed trails tho, the Miendles can be too stiff for some - I gave myself a stress fracture in a shin from doing this, this summer.

Stephen B: The xtra-tuffs are great for rubber boots, but I think you have to use them a lot and strengthen your ankles for using them in steep country. Zero support above the foot. I've tried them in steep country and felt completely unstable. I know many Alaskans swear by 'em, but they must have the strongest ankles in the world! A goat guide with me used them on the entire hunt! At the same time, I was using Meindles with corks and felt in danger of falling many times.

Stan

Stephen Lathrop
12-18-2003, 05:39 PM
Harry,
While we do save soles, not souls! There is no doubt in my mind that a pair of well made boots, fitted properly and matched to the terrain you are hunting in and walking on daily will decrease load in your knees.
Harry its like this, your feet are a foundation! If the sole of a boot fails so does structure of the foot and above meaning ankle and knee.
If the foundation in a house fails what happens to the walls of the house?
Your foot is a lever. A good boot will off load the lever, allowing you to walk pain free for longer distances and keeping you from changing gate do to pain in your feet.
Harry, I do think it will increase expectancy because if you can reduce 20-30% pain you might go longer before something else is needed meaning a doctor, but sometimes Docs are a must!
There is never anything wrong in trying something conservitive first. Our boots are not orthopiedic just very technical &amp; I must admit biomechanical.
I am in no way diagnosing anything only trying to give you an honest easy way to understand the function of a good pair of boots.
Harry we also sell Leki trekking poles studies show large off loading of the knees &amp; feet by using such a device, this could also be part of your personal system.
Take care and sorry to run on guys,
Stephen Lathrop

et
12-23-2003, 10:14 AM
EyeDoc,
I climbed for close to 8 years in a pair of Scarpa Invernos (technical mountineering, ice,and general winter peak bagging) I recently (4 yrs ago)went to the newer generartion of mountainering boots. Do yourself a favor and check out reviews in climbing mags. The new boots do everything that the plastics did and with much greater comfort! I personally belive that a double plastic boot lacks the flexibility for the scrambeling and scree/broken rock you are most likly to encounter hunting. Plastic was a great step forward in the 80's. Find out from your guide how much time is spent hiking, scrambeling etc. Take this info to a climbing/outdoor store and pretend that you have signed up for a guided mountaineering trip that will involve X amount of hiking, scrambeling, altituide etc.
I concur with the above posts that fit is the main concern not the brand. There is a great selection of boots out there.
Have a great hunt!
ET

Randy
12-23-2003, 05:23 PM
Ditto et,

There are a ton of great technical boots available. I climbed in plastic one time -- enough to go and buy a great pair of technical leather boots. If the footbed is correct and the boot is comfortable, you can walk forever quite comfortably. Plastic boots will never 'mold' to your foot or fit like a good pair of leather boots. They will also never breath and your feet will be wet all the time from the inside.

Have fun looking for the right boot, there are so many good ones it will drive you nuts.