PDA

View Full Version : Tipis in hot and humid conditions.

bigbore442001
02-22-2003, 01:35 PM
I've read a lot of info about the use of tipis in cold and snowy weather. Although there is still two feet of snow on the ground as I speak, I was wondering about the experiences of others using the tipi in hot and humid weather.

Last summer in New England, we had a heat wave. Temperatures were at or near 100 and it was also very humid as well. I know some have used these in the desert but you don't have the humidity. In addition, with heat and humidity you also have bugs.

So, anyone care to share their experiences?

MikeM
02-22-2003, 02:21 PM
If it was a planned wet hunt where I was packing the stove then I would give serious thought to a liner (see liner post). If I was goofing around and leaving the stove home then for convenience I would take my old Eureka Timberline. This is a single wall tent with netting available for the doors. With the conditions you are describing I would expect condensation to be annoying. But you could always wipe down the walls with a cloth.

bpjon
02-22-2003, 08:14 PM
I used my Kifaru 8 man tipi while at Countryfest in Wisconsin last June. Very humid, high 90s for the whole trip. The tipi was hot and stuffy, but standing outside was hot and stuffy as well. With both doors wide open it has as much screen area as most tents, plus you can roll up the bottom edge for a 360 degree window. Was the tipi comfortable in that weather? No, but no tent would have been. If there had been the slightest breeze, I'm sure I would have been more comfortable than anyone else there in a tent. And with the potential for serious summer storms in the Upper Midwest, the stoutness of the tipi was very reassuring. Bottom line, I'm going to use it again this summer.