PDA

View Full Version : Patricks Goat Hunt

Clint
02-18-2003, 11:00 PM
Well this note is more for patrick than everyone else but I thought that you all might be interested in a few facts about Patrick. Well goat hunting is one of the most psyically challanging hunts anyone can set out on. Patrick and I were up to the challenge and by God if patrick has a bad Knee he only let it be known on the last day of the hunt. After glassing for days, sleeping out in sub 0 temps, hiking up and down what most consider cliffs we cashed in on the 8th day of the hunt. Patrick it sounds so easy when you type it, how come I was draggin my ass the next couple days, anyway The gear that Patrick brought stood up to the test of the Canadian Rockies, tent, pack, rifle, and all the other stuff he brings. Patrick Ifound a hand warmer for you the fuel sticks last 6-8 hours. Well I hope all continues to go well, I will write again now that I have landed for the winter.

Patrick
02-19-2003, 08:49 AM
Hey there Clint!--

First, lay the info on me about how to get one of those little hand heaters. And the charcoal sticks. I haven't been able to find one here in the States--too "old Fashioned" I reckon.

You gonna Guide next season? Let me (us) know who you'll be guiding for. I'll hunt with you anytime.

Funny, but I didn't notice you slowing down at all after the hunt! Stiff upper lip style, I suppose.

Patrick

Kmassaro
02-19-2003, 09:33 AM
Patrick,

You can get those at the Army Surplus stores.

Patrick
02-19-2003, 12:15 PM
Kev--

Well, of course! I've been looking in far too "modern" venues. This device is old-timey tech. Have you seen one? Less messy, and lighter, than the old lighter fluid warmers. And unlike the modern chemical packs it's "fuel" (charcoal strips) should have a shelf life of forever. And lighter overall than the chemical things too. How's that for old-timey tech?! Some things just do the job I want done better, and it doesn't matter how "old" they are. Thanks, Kev., I'll see if I can snag one down at the old Surplus store.

Clint
02-19-2003, 12:56 PM
Patrick,
Well I went down to an old sport store in Lethbridge ab. and picked up a couple of the warmers the fuel sticks are similar to the ones I use and say they last for 6-8 hours so send me a e-mail so I can get them out to you.

Kmassaro
02-19-2003, 01:13 PM
Patrick,

I have tried using those old warmers. Didn't care for them, had trouble keeping them lit. The old Jon-e-handwarmer, using lighter fluid, is much better. That is a torch, but the fluid smells a bit. I think they also have, or had, both at Gart's as well, at least the sportscastle on 10th and Broadway.

Dean
02-19-2003, 03:22 PM
Hi to all... sorry to intrude but could one of you guys recomend someone for goats , my bou hunt for 03 just fell through today and I am in need of a hunt. I have been looking in BC , I see they have bigger goats there , but don't know anyone at home that has been out for them to give me a recomendation. Thanks. oh yea one other thing , I'm a working man if you know what I mean.

Clint
02-19-2003, 08:16 PM
Dean,
Well what can I say BC has its share of nice goats. If it was me looking for a good spot look in northern BC only because the capes are a little nicer earlier in the season. There are good goats around Atlin. If you choose southern BC look at an outfitter in the East Kooteny late October. A good spot to look for a Outfitter is on the BC guide Outfitters associations web site most on that site are OK. I have no problem giving an oppinion once you choose a posible outfitter. I have spoken to a few people who also say that Alaska is a good bang for your buck. Hope some of this helps.
Clint

Dean
02-20-2003, 02:51 PM
Clint.. Thanks for that info . I have looked at some guys and liked these so far ,Bella Coola outfitting, Kylo Bros. and Mcowans . I don't know if you know any of these guys but your opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

02-20-2003, 05:59 PM
Dean I would hesitate on the outfitter from Bella Colla just due to the fact of possible trouble from the weather in that region heavy rains and low clouds will kill a goat hunt. McCowans would be my first choice Terrice BC is a great area but steep. Kyllo Brothers is located where my father used to have a territory and is as well a good spot. The differnece is the price, just ask Patrick a goat hunt I feel is best in a 10 day hunt8 day are all right but if you have to do alot of spot and stalk days get burnt up fast as well as your energy. 10 day hunts might just give you that little extra time your body needs. Anyway hope this info helps.

Dean
02-22-2003, 06:06 PM
thanks again Clint. Yes I agree with the 10 rule , I like most of my hunts to be a minimum of 10 days as well. Also I here ya on the price by the time you get done with Mcowans your into it for 7200. I found another guy today named Rocky MT outfitters K. Prinz(?) his price was much more reasonable, he also didn't ship you right out after your kill and send you on your way like Mcowans does. Do you happen to know anything about him? I also see from your postings that you are a guide , Who are you currently working for and would you recomend them? Dean

Clint
03-06-2003, 09:19 PM
Dean,
Well I asked around to a few of my friends and due to the fact that the BC Government has reduced most of the southern Kooteney quotas anyone I would recomend has no hunts available for this coming season. The outfitter I worked for was Total Outdoor Adventures, unfortunatly I did not have a good season with them due to the fact I did not agree on how the hunts were sold. So I now am looking for a new outfitter to work for, which will not be hard. I will keep on the look out for a hunt in a good area for you though.

Dean
03-10-2003, 05:07 PM
Thank you Clint.....

Patrick.. aside from a flat spot what do you look for in setting up the paratipi on a goat hunt, where it is mostly rock or shale . I hate like hell to give up elivation once I am there.

Patrick
03-11-2003, 09:53 AM
Dean--

Yeah, I hate to give up elevation too.

Flat spots are where you find them. Saddles and benches on ridges are likely places. Being floorless the tipis are good for such terrain. Clint and I had nails with us, the ground being frozen. Always works fine.

Patrick