PDA

View Full Version : Rambling Rifle

02-16-2003, 04:02 PM
Is the rambling rifle a single shot set-up?

Patrick
02-16-2003, 05:02 PM
Joe--

Nope. Bolt action; magazine and all.

02-16-2003, 05:24 PM
How many rounds does the magazine hold. PS One of you telephone people told me that they weren't sure, but they thought it was single shot. How does the magazine act for different barrels. Does each barrel come with its own magazine?

Patrick
02-16-2003, 09:27 PM
Joe--

I guess that's why the staff usually refers rifle questions to me--I'm the resident rifle guru.

4 rounds in standard calibers, 3 rounds in magnums. Four "families" you can switch barrels within: short action standard (243, 308, etc.); short action magnum (270, 300wsm, etc.); long action standard (270, 30-06, etc.); and long action magnum (7mag, 300mag, 338, etc.). Remember "within"; can't mix 243 and 7mag. etc.

Got it?

SharpDog
03-12-2003, 09:50 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Patrick:
Joe--

I guess that's why the staff usually refers rifle questions to me--I'm the resident rifle guru.

4 rounds in standard calibers, 3 rounds in magnums. Four "families" you can switch barrels within: short action standard (243, 308, etc.); short action magnum (270, 300wsm, etc.); long action standard (270, 30-06, etc.); and long action magnum (7mag, 300mag, 338, etc.). Remember "within"; can't mix 243 and 7mag. etc.

Got it?</div></div>Hi Patrick, I am new to this forum and your website seems a little dated when it comes to the short magnums. The Kifaru Rambling Rifle is my dream rifle but I can't afford one this year as I am about to get married. I was originally thinking of the .308 family with 7-08 06 .260 rem. as my main calibers. I am now entertaining the WSM family as my goal. Could you answer a few questions for me ?

1) Is there a single rifle setup that could handle .270 WSM, .300 WSM and .338/300 WSM ?

2) Would said rifle also be able to handle .223 WSSM or .243 WSSM ?

3) What is the feasibility of installing a BOSS-type system for both recoil reduction and harmonic tuning ?

Thanx in advance,

SharpDog

:p

Patrick
03-12-2003, 10:05 AM
Sharpdog--

Hello, and welcome to the MB. Yes, a single Rambler will handle all WSM, RSAUM and wildcats from their cases. But it won't also handle the super shorts. That's a whole 'nother family of cartridges.

Boss could theoretically be done but we'd have to make sure our barrel at the muzzle swells back up to the size of the boss device. It's doable, but would add a bit of weight. And cost.

Jesse
03-12-2003, 08:15 PM
If you are getting the boss for recoil, just suck it up. It makes the rifle way too loud especially for other hunters. Some guides won't take hunters w/ muzzlebreaks of their rifles for that reason. All of the people that I know with them switched out the ported BOSS for a solid one.

drwarner
04-10-2003, 09:15 AM
Have the Microlite rifle and love it. It is light, accurate, and very comfortable to carry, aim, and shoot. Have used it to hunt deer, elk, hog, cayote, antelope, etc. Wonderful rifle. Mine is the class of .308, 7mm08 (the two barrels I have). Of course it fits my SpikeCamp backpack for comfortable toting and quick access.

copper
04-22-2003, 02:54 PM
I wondered if Drwarner and/or Patrick could shed a little light on some things for me. After reading as many of Patricks essays as I can find, I am really starting to tune into the "rambler" concept. Not just the rifle the whole style of hunting. I am looking at the rambler rifle and starting to get an idea of what I will need.

Drwarner: Can you tell me why you would pick a 7-08 and a .308 as your first 2 barrels? It just seems like everyone I talk to makes the claim that they are awful close, ballistically. Particularly with the variety of .308's that are available.

Patrick: If I go with with this rambler it comes down to one reason: accuracy. I read some of your work and want to concentrate on your belief that a really good shooter can come from staying with the same gun. The light weight aspect is important but worrisome as my "mentors" tell me a gun like that will "kick like a jersey mule". Do I need to plan to toughen up or are there aspects of your design that deal with this-no I don't want a muzzle break, I read what you think of them also! Last, I'll probably be restricted to whitetail and the like for awhile. I know if I someday go bigger I can get the appropriate barrel. I really don't want to hunt with a single grain more than I need-all my friends are using 30-06 which seems like a howitzer on deer. Worse, I see everyone getting into magnum stuff for the same animal! Can you tell me what you, personally, would suggest for the northeast? I just want to know the first 2 barrels you would get for up here and in which order (by the way, I don't want to affect your answer but I did like .260).

04-22-2003, 04:46 PM
I'll answer the recoil question. I've shot Patrick's 358 Rambler, and don't find the recoil objectionable at all. Good stock design, Pachmyr Decelerator, and the powergrip all work to your advantage. If you can handle a standard wood stocked rifle in the same caliber, you won't mind it a bit.

I'm not a big fan of recoil in hunting rifles, and shoot a glass stocked 270. The one act, changing to glass, took off a pound and a half, and yet, the recoil dropped.

Patrick
04-22-2003, 07:31 PM
Copper--

You can expect 1" 3-shot accuracy. I see Kevin has fielded the recoil question so I'll just say he's correct...kick is NOT near what you might "imagine".

Drwarner ordered the 7-08 for Texas deer and the .308 for elk hunting in Colorado. Makes sense when you know the details. Speaking of your deer hunting needs, either the 7-08 or the .260 would be superb choices. I favor the .260 as you probably know, but either would do well for the task. And for your present deer-hunting-only situation I wouldn't even worry about a second barrel. If you want to hunt bear or even moose there the same caliber--either .260 or 7-08-- will knock 'em down if you do your part. Writer Bob Good clobbered a moose up in Canada a while back with his .260 barrel screwed on his Rambler. Thru and thru penetration too. Folks do tend to get caught up in mega-"power"...they don't need it of course. I salute you for thinking clearly. You'll do well, Pilgrim.

drwarner
04-30-2003, 08:04 PM
I do not hand load, so I wanted two calibers for off the shelf ammo- that is why I chose .308 and 7-08, and as Patrick said, I wanted .308 for elk and 7-08 for TEXAS deer and varmit. "The system is the secrete", so I advise you to get the entire gear from Patrick because it is all designed around a "system" concept. Great stuff with great design and a great guarantee!