PDA

View Full Version : Where to start?

Jfelkins
01-12-2011, 02:55 PM
I have no gear and want to build an elk hunting kit. I plan to backpack hunt and I'm a recurve hunter. My goal is to travel miles into the back country but I know I'll do some base camp hunting with the occasional spike camp for a day or two ( how my dad likes to hunt). Okay, enough context.

My question, what Kifaru gear should I start with? I can't buy it all at once. I want to go ultrlight when I can.

I want to hunt CO, UT and OR. I want to bring my son in a few years but also want to be able to pack all the gear my self for solo trips?

Thanks!

Smokepole
01-12-2011, 05:40 PM
J, I know you posted this on the ultralight forum, but I think you'll get more answers down on the tipis, shelters, and camping forum. This is a backpacking website so all of the forums are geared to the questions you're asking, but this particular part of the forum (ultralights) is geared toward the brand new Kifaru Ultralight packs.

You have a lot of gear to acquire, and it'll cost you, so if I were in your shoes I think I'd look for a deal on a used Longhunter pack to start with. Just my opinion, but they're very durable (used isn't an issue) and built to carry heavy loads of meat, and you can apply the money you'll save vs. buying a new pack to other essentials like a good sleeping bag.

So your main "essentials" and big ticket items for a backpack hunt are pack, tent, sleeping bag, and sleeping pad.

Kifaru make tents/stoves, packs, and bags. It's top-shelf stuff priced accordingly. If I were you, I'd look at the packs and shelters first.

The size of your hunting party will dictate the shelter, will it just be you two, or possibly more?

Jfelkins
01-12-2011, 07:49 PM
Thanks, great advice. It should just be 1or 2. I'll post this on the suggested area. Thanks again.

flamingo 7
01-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Smoke's right, you'll get more hits on the hunting and tipi threads. There is a wealth of knowledge here in the fourms, but you should check out the esseys on the home page as well. Lots of timeless advice and much of it geared for us novices. Good luck.

http://www.kifaru.net/essays.html