PDA

View Full Version : in3/days out

copper
02-13-2003, 02:11 PM
Can anyone tell me a good way to calculate how many cubic inches in pack dimensions are required for 1,2,3,4 wks in the field? How many extra cubic inches are required when providing for very cold conditions? Thanks. Of course, I am assuming a man-portable system with bare-bones essentials.

JF
02-13-2003, 07:21 PM
IMO, the short answer is no, no one can tell you. It depends entirely upon your personal gear choices. IE: a down bag might be 1/2 the bulk of a synthetic of the same temp rating. What pad system do you like? Your personal clothing choices may differ significantly from someone elses. How about your shelter? One man bivvy, two man tent? tipi w/stove? Some folks have been dedicated to the very best of minimalist equipment. Their load for the same scenario could honestly be 1500-2000 CI smaller than someone who "just went out and bought some backpack stuff"

I'd suggest the following, get your gear together, and put up about a weeks worth of food/fuel. Then get down to a good backpack dealer and load up a couple of packs. Pretty soon, you'll know what it will take. Then you can calculate how much pack space it will take to hold the additional food bags and possibly fuel for 2,3,4 weeks.

BTW beyond 10 days to 2 weeks unsupported, you might consider wheels for that pack. You might also want to re-think anything over 10 days or so in serious cold.(Naturally a Tipi/stove combo can be a significant help in that particular situation.

JF

Tyde
02-14-2003, 12:35 PM
Copper,
JF hit most of the stuff right on the head. The problem with going over 2 weeks is the weight of the food. Let's say water is everywhere and you only need to carry a gallon (8.5 lbs. w/ container), your food is going to come in at 1 to 2 pounds per day. I would guess on the high side of the weight scale for food on extended periods as well. Try eating freeze dried for two weeks at home and see how you feel.

As for winter time use, if you can use a personal sledge where you are going, then life actually will become easier. I can sledge twice what I can carry and still have a heavy day pack on. Your food will go up to the 2 to 4 pounds a day depending on temp and vertical change. But your need to carry water will go down (1/2 gal).

If you are hunting/gathering as you go your food requirements can go down dependant on the area and time of foraging. All in all 4 weeks in the wilds with modern laws (hunting/fishing/gathering) is going to be tough at best. Check out some of the Ultralight Backpacker sites for weight saving ideas. And buy a longhunter.

Good Luck and Good Hunting

Tyde

Dave R.
02-14-2003, 01:37 PM
hi guys...

In planning, I'd be thinking about how to kill food for camp pot. Check out Patrick's articles on securing and cooking small game. Why pack your protein when its in the trees above your tent?? (I'm thinking of a succulent squirrel)

Good luck!

dave

Underdog
03-17-2003, 10:35 AM
My philosophy is: get the biggest pack you can get your hands on, extra space in the pack is there if you need it and weighs nothing untill you do. For ideas on minimalist packing, check out the Hoods Woods forum at <a href="http://www.survival.com" target="_blank">http://www.survival.com (http://www.survival.com)</a>