PDA

View Full Version : Semi-Dumb Question.

bigbore442001
02-13-2003, 05:13 AM
I was chatting with an individual about my tipi and I finally have some free time. I just haven't been able to use the thing since I bought it this fall.

Well,we in New England will be getting some record cold and I would like to try it out this weekend.

The other person I was speaking said that he was worried about carbon monoxide poisoning. This is something that I didn't think of. Is this a problem? Is there enough ventiliation at the bottom to allow this to escape? We are expecting some snow. Would this seal up the tipi? Again this may sound a little silly but we get wet heavy snows here as a rule.

Thank you for the advice.

Patrick
02-13-2003, 07:46 PM
bigbore--

I guess as the guy with the most experience with the tipis I should address your carbon monoxide question. To wit: there has never been an incident. The zipper teeth will always pass air, which is one reason we leave them exposed. Also, you'll find that you always leave the zipper a little above "all the way down" closed--it's just the way the tipi works for all but the most tidy of souls. If you're concerned you can just make sure you don't zip it all the way down. You can also ventilate a little at the top of the zipper(s) if you're in wet falling snow.

The thing about these wood stoves is you can tell really easily if they aren't getting enough air because they fall off, flame-wise, when you know they shouldn't. You can then take action and ventilate somewhere. As for bedtime, these stoves don't burn long enough to be dangerous. Hey! Add that to the "plusses" of a non-airtight guys!

Patrick

bigbore442001
02-13-2003, 08:12 PM
Patrick:

I really appreciate the advice. I kind of figured that out, but the person I was talking with did make me think a bit about that issue. I'm glad that you were able to clear up that issue.