PDA

View Full Version : Goat hunt

Tim in Nevada
02-12-2003, 10:25 PM
I've got a chance to go on a goat hunt. I've applied for tags with the odds at about 500 to 1, so I've never actually entertained the idea of a goat hunt seriously. Now I've got the opportunity to do so and would like some advice. Any stories or ideas are welcome. What caliber would you use? Tim.

4214chip
02-12-2003, 10:32 PM
Tim,

Where is this "opportunity"? /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif I may have a story or two if you are headed to Alaska.

Bernie

02-12-2003, 10:47 PM
Every time I go on a goat hunt, I say I am never going to do this again. Every year I go back and do it again. If I walked down memory lane and thought about the 2 most physically exhausting days of my life, both were on goat hunts. If you want a story to tell for the rest of your life, go on an unguided goat hunt in Alaska!

Tim in Nevada
02-12-2003, 11:08 PM
This opportunity is in Washington. This year I'm applying in several states, but the odds are pretty steep. The tag in Washington is a purchased tag to support conservation. The more I think about it, the more excited I get!!! We've been dreaming of Alaska for quite a while now, just not sure which species we want to go for (would drive there and do an unguided hunt just for the adventure). If a non-resident can hunt goats without a guide in Alaska, that may be just the thing to get my goat (HAHA). What do you think? Tim.

bigbore442001
02-13-2003, 05:01 AM
In my honest opinion, get a guide.

If you have never hunted mounatin goat before, this is what I would do. My big game hunting out west is very limited. I went on one hunt for antelope and I used a guide. If I were to go again( it is the time factor above everything else) I would go on my own. I learned enough on the first trip where I believe I have a good idea as to how to get one.

Keep in mind that goat permits aren't given out like candy. You may very well never draw another one for the rest of your life. Don't blow this opportunity that comes around like Haley's comet.

As for a firearm, I would use a TC Encore handgun with a flat shooting caliber. I like the 30-06 or the 308. That is my cup of tea.

4214chip
02-13-2003, 10:36 AM
Tim,

I have not hunted in Washington, but imagine goats live in similar habit throughout their range. I have backpack hunted sheep many times, and thought I knew what to expect for goats, WRONG!! The goats live in much rougher terrain. In fact on the goat hunts I have done, also backpack, crampons were needed to negotiate the steep hillsides. Just getting close to the goat's territory was more difficult than any of the sheep hunts. Joe M is correct in his post about the physical exhaustion.

Wherever you may hunt them, pack as light as possible and take good rain gear. And, yes, nonresidents are required to have a guide in Alaska for goats, and also for sheep and brown bear.

Goats are not that difficult to kill, but are very often near steep drop offs. You need to anchor them where they are, or risk losing them. I have used a 7mm Rem Mag with 160 partitions. It worked, but next time I will use my .338. I think I am probably crazy to try another goat hunt, but once you get to the top of those mtns, and see those glaciers, and miles and miles of unspoiled country...well, you get the picture. There are some things we just have to do.

Bernie

Ken
02-13-2003, 10:41 AM
Tim
All I can add here is...CONGRATULATIONS! and GOOD LUCK!

4214chip
02-13-2003, 10:42 AM
For a good read on a goat hunt, check out the following link:

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/magazine/goat_hunt_from_hell.htm

I hope you enjoy it. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Patrick
02-13-2003, 07:30 PM
Tim--

I'll have to grin and echo Joe M's remarks about swearing off goat hunting at the end of a hunt for the dang things; and then going back for more when the pain ( and raw fear) fades. There is nothing like it you'll ever do. Nothing.

Patrick

JF
02-13-2003, 07:34 PM
Tim:

I did four DIY Goat hunts in the late 70's. At the time, a NR could hunt goats and black bear w/out a guide in AK. I used a 7X57 and a 30-06. My partner used a 270. We always got Goats and bear between us and twice, each of us got a goat and a bear. Don't go up there with a wood stocked rifle. This was in SE AK. flying out of Ketchikan. If I were leaving tomorrow, I'd take my 338-08 because it's short and light, but that much gun is not necessary.

More important than the rifle is:

Raingear, A stealthy pack, Good work gloves, Boots with soles that have goooood grip on wet rock, (the boot sole is probably #1)

JF

Ed C
02-13-2003, 08:10 PM
Tim

I live in Wa. I've been drawn twice for goats. I've been successful both times. Now it is a once in life time tag. So the next time I'm drawn I'm done. I was on a third goat hunt as spectator, photographer, packer, whatever but we were unsucessful. You are really never unsucessful though the scenery alone is worth it. Patrick and Bernie are right about the pain and the country they live in. Just to see one is a privledge. I never get tired of watching them. I was glassing them and taking pictures from my tipi this elk season. If you think I can help you you can email me. I'll be at the elk convention later this month we could meet at Patrick's tipi and chat while he is selling stuff. I don't think he can sell me anything I already own everything Kifaru makes. Good Luck
Ed

Patrick
02-13-2003, 09:25 PM
Ed C, Tim, et al--

You're on for a meet at the tipi! Bring beer.

Uh oh! I'd better invent something quick! For Ed.

Patrick

Tim in Nevada
02-14-2003, 12:21 AM
Thanks for all of the input guys. How much does a mature billy weigh and what other animal has a similar body structure? I'll find out Sunday if I get the tag or not. A meet at the tipi is a for sure deal at the RMEF. Just name the day and time. Tim.

Tim in Nevada
02-14-2003, 12:25 AM
Patrick, I forgot to ask you if you can bring out 4 pairs of gloves and a Spikecamp to the show?(Jamie loves the gloves too). Make it the Spikecamp with all of the options. See you there. Tim.

Patrick
02-14-2003, 07:58 AM
Tim, et al--

OK, we'll bring the stuff for you and Jamie.

Janice, Ali, Dave and myself will be at the Convention the whole time, so whenever y'all decide is The Day is fine with me. I'm on for some quality after-hours time too--like we did at the SCI Convention. Great fun, that was. Steve Eck gonna be at this gig? The guy is full of great stories.

Patrick

Tim in Nevada
02-16-2003, 04:33 PM
Well guys, the goat hunt went to someone else. Maybe next year. Patrick, Doug Eck will be at RMEF as well. I look forward to meeting some of the guys. Hopefully Nevada Dan and JF will be there as well. Tim.