PDA

View Full Version : Snow baths?

bigbore442001
02-11-2003, 06:40 PM
I read an article on how old time woodsmen would jump in the snow to clean up. I read how that one of the best ways to do this is to get your cabin(or tipi) really warm so that you're almost uncomfortable and then jump in the snow. You then scrub up with snow and viola, you're clean.

While in the field, especially in the winter, how do you people keep clean?

Sgathak
02-11-2003, 09:39 PM
You may find alot of good info doing research on Russian Banya and Navajo Sweatlodges.

Sometimes while out for longer than a few weeks, I will build a semi permanant shelter based on Navajo Sweatlodge patterns (dig a hole about 10 inches deep, 5 feet wide, 8 feet long... build a framework from study, already fallen wood, and then cover the framework with the dirt from the pit.) You heat the shelter by placing heated rocks in a small depression inside, and it will keep you toasty all night.

To sweat in the shelter, bring in the rocks (make sure they are as hot as possible, the hotter the better, and safer) using a shovel or whatever you have available and set them inside the depression. Crawl inside and seal the door, then sprinkle water (or a tea made from water and pine, spruce, and juniper greens) over the rocks, the water will instantly vaporize, not steam, vaporize, theres a diffrence... spend a few minutes (about 5) in the shelter... enjoy the experience... Then, when you exit, either roll in the snow or dump cold water over your head. Repeat three times.

Dont drink alcohol for about an hour after the sweat and douse, or you will become dangerously dehydrated, water and juice are great though.

Good luck finding more information.

Patrick
02-12-2003, 08:17 AM
Bigbore--

I get the tipi piping hot (burn lots of little wood) then scoop up snow from the floor and scrub. I stand on pine/spruce/fir boughs. Air dry (remember, you're keeping the stove rocking). Very nice. You can toss snow on the stove and get a good sweat lodge effect too.

Patrick

bigbore442001
02-12-2003, 04:48 PM
I have to try the sweat lodge thing. That sounds pretty interesting.

jdb3
02-13-2003, 09:24 AM
For bathing out in the bush we have been using the baby wipes that are commercially available. When you are out for several weeks these are life savers. Just take a spit bath with them and burn the remains. Works better than anything else we have tried and sure beats snow baths or those cold lakes and rivers! Jim

Ken
02-13-2003, 10:52 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by jdb3:
For bathing out in the bush we have been using the baby wipes that are commercially available. When you are out for several weeks these are life savers. Just take a spit bath with them and burn the remains. Works better than anything else we have tried and sure beats snow baths or those cold lakes and rivers! Jim</div></div>Amen...I just "found" these myself this year. Some have Aloe added...they will make you feel like a new man while out in the bush...I'm sure I'll use the stove heated "shower" once I get he funds for one of Patricks setups, but until then...