PDA

View Full Version : What is the Best Fanny Pack Spike Out Option for a KU5200

Reid
12-31-2010, 10:59 AM
Hi KU Fans,

OK, I've made the mental commitment to save the weight over my G2 Longhunter and try out a new KU5200. Though I'm hanging onto my G2 Longhunter I see still many advantages to it; one of which is the lid of my G2 turns into a fanny pack for my day hunts around camp. Very useful for carrying my rain gear, lunch, etc.

The KU5200 needs a spike out fanny pack; what is my best option?

My ideas:
1) Can the Koala be the fanny pack? A bit small, but, perhaps, if so what's the best way to secure it to the pack when in ramble mode?
2) I think I'd like a more robust harness system than the E&E affords, and personally I do like the fanny pack idea as I'm a bow hunter and like to have my upper body as free as possible.
3) A way to rig a Day Stalker, but then with that weight I may as well just keep my G2 and use the lid fanny as a KU5200 + Daystalker is about the same weight as my G2LH.

Any ideas? I'm sure others have the same thought...

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Signed...on the 3rd hernia and weight matters....

Peace
R

Ermine
12-31-2010, 12:33 PM
Not really what you want to hear but imo I this is what I would do. I would just hunt out of it, and not have another pack. Keeps it easier, lighter, and simpler. Just compress it down. This thing is crazy light and compresses down insane.

Phil
12-31-2010, 03:07 PM
Reed: I don't know if this will help, but I just ordered the KU 2200 AND KU 3700. I'm going to take the belt off the 2200 and use it as a stuff sack for extra gear. That will give me 5900 ci capacity. You will have more with your 5200. When I get to my spike camp I will take the belt off my 3700 and put it on the 2200. This will give me a day pack that has the ability to haul meat back to camp. Like you I have a LH that I will never give up, but I can see a 3-4 lb. weight saving with set up. My LH is my go to expedition backpacking pack. phil

Phil
12-31-2010, 03:09 PM
Reid: Sorry about the spelling.

Reid
12-31-2010, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

So just hunting out of the 5200 may not be such a bad idea, just have a large stuff sack to transfer gear into and stash it in my tipi or tree etc. then spike hunt out of the 5200. not such a bad idea. I've tried that with my G2 LH and though a bit ridged for stalking purposes (as a bow hunter I often need to crawl, stalk, sneak to get in range) it was not too bad.

The idea of using a 2200 bag and then the belt and stays off the 3700 is pretty darn smart. I wonder will the belt and stays from a 5200 work on a 2200? Then I guess just play hop scotch with the two packs if their full of meat and then gear. No way I'm going to pack out an elk by myself in one load anyhow....not real practical to even consider a sheep in one load given my blasted hernia history, so many trips/loads are needed anyhow. I'm fit, just hernia prone so weight is an enemy for me.

I guess the bag off the 2200 is light enough provided the stays and belt will work. You could be onto something. Has anyone tried; or better asked, is it possible to use the 5200 belt and stays on a 2200?

Really thanks for the ideas!

Reid
12-31-2010, 09:38 PM
OH one more question/thought, will the Koala fit onto the belt of the 5200?

Wow if so, then bingo, the Koala plus a couple of Possibles, or a Possible and a Belt Pouch should provide all the spike out needs for the stealth bow hunter. If any more is needed then I guess the entire 5200 pack can be employed. Perhaps this solution fits my needs best provided the Koala will work on the 5200 belt.....

Koala and Possibles (2x, or 1x + Belt Pouch) =
*Rain Gear top and bottom
*Water Bladder + Miox Purifier
*Ti Cup
*Lunch
*GPS/Compass/Map
*Possibles (headlamp, latex gloves, Fire Starter, Bandages etc.)
*Vest
*Saw/Skinning Knife

BuckarooMedic
01-01-2011, 12:58 AM
Reid,

What about using the Top Lid from your Long Hunter? I've using one on my MMR for awhile now and like it quite a bit. A lot more than the XTL. It's pretty darn light, has the built-in waist belt and one can use the shoulder strap over one shoulder. The weight, and cost, would definitely be low.

Take care,

Racoon
01-01-2011, 04:30 AM
I was always wondering about the Hunting Top Lid, would it be possible to post some detail pics? The ones on the website aren't really satisfying..

Reid
01-01-2011, 06:36 AM
I was always wondering about the Hunting Top Lid, would it be possible to post some detail pics? The ones on the website aren't really satisfying..

Sure will. I'm leaving today for Bryce and Zion for some snowshoe fun before I attend CES Las Vegas, if you let me know what detail your looking for I can take some custom shots. If not today then by next week for certain when I return from my trip.

Say great idea about using the LH Top Lid. Though My hope is the belt and Koala will work to save the weight. I like my top lid well enough, and have used it, even rigged it to hold my quiver etc. But Would love to have more lash points to fix rain gear, and the ergo is a bit strange on the lid when in fanny pack mode. perhaps I'm not using the right connection points for the waist belt or something. But an idea worth looking at. Thanks!

Brotzie
01-01-2011, 11:04 PM
Check out these couple of posts, and shout if there's anything else you want:

http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?20399-LogHunter-top-lid-pack&p=216381#post216381
http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?20399-LogHunter-top-lid-pack&p=216486#post216486

All the best, Ian