PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Men

posimag
02-02-2003, 08:23 AM
Hi all, was in the Outdoor Life.com and ran across this story Wolf Men---

( http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/hunting/predat ors/article/0,13285,411661,00.html ) check it out.

Christopher Batin is the author of the book Hunting in Alaska, I am thinking of geting this book. Let me know if it will be worth getting, any feed back would be great.

Thanks in advance Posimag

VernAK
02-03-2003, 10:25 AM
Posimag,
I haven't read Christopher's book but will look it over when I find one in the stores.

For a great read on wolves, I urge you to read Alaska's Wolfman by Jim Rearden.....The 1915-1955 adventures of a professional market hunter turned Federal Wolf Hunter in an area that is now Denali National Park.

I've had to buy three as they don't seem to come back.

4214chip
02-03-2003, 08:48 PM
Posimag,

Chris Batin's book on Hunting in Alaska is a very good read, especially for the person contemplating a trip to that great state. He includes info. on all game species and maps out areas where they can be found. He also discuses field care and equipment. If you like Alaska, you'll enjoy the book. If you're into sheep hunting, take a look at "Sheep Hunting in Alaska" by Tony Russ (the second edition is much better than the first).

Vern,

A couple other books by Jim Rearden that you may enjoy if you haven't already read them are "Tales of Alaska's Big Bears", and "Jim Rearden's Alaska, Fifty Years of Frontier Adventure". Thanks for the tip on the Wolfman book. I'll try to find it. Bird seasons are now closed, about caught up on reloading, so it's time for a few good books in front of the fireplace, with the dog keeping my feet warm. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Take care guys,

Bernie

posimag
02-04-2003, 04:24 PM
Vern, Bernie, thanks for the feed back! Vern I have the Alaska's Wolfman, will never part with that book. Tales of Alaska's Big Bears will be on my bookshelf also.

Thanks again posimag

VernAK
02-05-2003, 08:19 AM
Posimag,
That article in ODL wouldn't open but a friend gave me the magazine at the Fish & Game Meeting because out neighbor is in the article. Roy is the fellow that takes up to 17 wolves a year by hunting....a good story but not much content...

We sure need hunters to take advantage of this wolf hunting opportunity especially in winters like this when we don't have enough snow to trap effectively. Yesterday in Delta was +52F....wind the same....52mph....

Bernie....how did your hunting go?

4214chip
02-05-2003, 09:43 PM
Vern,

What's with the weather up your way this year? I saw Fairbanks was 39 yesterday and in the 40's today. We have not had winter yet-still very dry,less than 3 inches of snow so far.

Hunting has gone well. The new GSP was able to find birds, but I had to drive quite far to find huntable numbers. Around home it was the worst season I have ever seen, and I've been hunting this area since 1976. Our deer hunt went well here, and I had a tough goat hunt (aren't they all?) around Cordova in late September. Bad weather most of the time, but still had a wonderful trip. That is some steep, fantastic country. I did not bring home a goat, so I am returning late Sept. this fall to have another go at them. I do enjoy backpack hunting in your beautiful mountains. I've picked up a few ideas off of this forum to get the gear weight down a little more.

How did your trip to SD and NE go? I hope that you had a good time. How much damage from the big earthquake did you have in your area?

Keep after those wolves and coyotes. Take care.

Bernie