PDA

View Full Version : Used Tipi

NDavis
01-30-2003, 03:26 PM
Hello all,

I have the opportunity to purchase a used 8 man original tipi, not the light weight model. My question is, is it worth the purchase price of 1/2 that of a new light weight model? It is in good shape and only used 2 times. I will be using it for backpacking and also to carry in a Super Cub. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Nigel

Dave R.
01-30-2003, 05:21 PM
Hi Nigel,

The original price of the TIPI is around $695.00...I'm assumming from what you told us that you could buy it for around $480.00. That sounds good to me. Is the seller selling the stove too?? Just wondering...Anyway, sounds like a fair price.

As for back packing....do you know that the standard 8 man is 12 lbs "without" the stove??
The 4 man with the stove, pegs, and pole is near 13 lbs... not bad...especially when split between 2 or 3 people....

To carry in a super cub...the 8 man would be ideal for you.

I would love to have an 8 man because most of my outings now include my kids, so the extra room would be great. Let me know if you decide not to buy this one, I may be interested.

Also if you would rather have a used 4 man..I could sell you mine,(superb condition standard 4 man TIPI) and I'd buy the 8 man...just a thought. Never hurts to ask.

Good luck Nigel,

Dave Roth

bob@helleknife.com
01-31-2003, 09:41 AM
Nigel,

If both you and Dave decide to pass please let me know.

It would fit nicely on one of my packgoats.

Thanks,

bob@helleknife.com

NDavis
02-07-2003, 12:31 PM
Dave and Bob,

Thanks for the reply, sorry I am late getting back to this, been out of town. The person is selling the 8 man for $400.00. I am still undicided, because I like the thought of the new lighter 8 man tipi. As usual, the question is justifying the money.

I will probably backpack with the tipi and stove also, thus my interest in the new lighter model.

I think I will stay with an 8 man because I have four kids to fit in it. Thanks though.

Any more thoughts would be greatly appreciated, and I will pass along this person's name to you if I don't purchase it.

Nigel

Dave R.
02-07-2003, 02:51 PM
Thanks Nigel,

I appreciate it. If you buy the TIPI, you will be happy. If not, I'd like to have it, so thanks for keeping me in mind... Have you thought of going the PARA tipi route for your back packing? Looks like a great way to go. Then you could use the 8 man with your family...also wonder if you could run both rigs with the same stove...maybe have to ask someone else about that.

Good luck!

Dave

bob@helleknife.com
02-10-2003, 01:23 PM
Thanks,

Dave is first in line so I will keep looking /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Bob