PDA

View Full Version : Traveling commercial air with a kifaru

Sigo
12-14-2003, 04:12 AM
I am getting ready to fly home and was going to carry my scout on the plane, has anyone had any problems with getting the two aluminum bars through security? I have had to give up a carabiner and my wife had to give up tweezers at ap security checkpoints so I am thinking about taking the frame out of my scout. Any opinions on this?

Moloch38
12-14-2003, 09:12 AM
I can handle this one. I have flown with a Pointman as a carry on twice and have not had any problems. They didn't didn't take out the frame or anything. Now that being said since I am military I usually have the added hassle of them running the chemical wand over my bag, but I haven't had any demo in there yet so I am fine.

-On a side note, the best comment I have gotten about it in the airport, a very cute 18ish blond going through the checkpoint with me.
"Are you in the Army?"
"Yes"
"Wow, do you have your parachute in there"
"I sure do, I'd love to take it out and show you, but then I'd have to repack it, you know how parachutes go"
"Wow, giggles, I love military guys..."

-And who says women are only attracted to shiney things.

Moloch38
12-14-2003, 09:17 AM
Another thing Iwill say is that on the plane the QR is awesome,I had just a back pouch on mine at the time, and of course at Thanksgiving place and the plane is packed. It was nice to be able to move through the crowds with something low profile that is not catching on people or their stuff and that I don't have to drag behind me, and when I got on the plane, Pointman + Back pouch does not = overhead, however half a second and the bak pouch is off and fits no problem. THis will surely result in a near eruption of applause of tired travelers who don't have to put up with one more delay before getting to their seat. Obviously not the travel bag of choice, but it worked great, now all I have to do it get one of their travel bags!

militarymoron
12-14-2003, 07:32 PM
i've also flown at least a half dozen times now on both domestic and international flights with my marauder (with back pouch, and two side pockets) and have not had a single problem putting it through the x-ray machine. i've been using the marauder as my main travel gear since i got it. it'll fit in the overhead (still with side pockets) and it'll stow under the seat in front without any external pouches.
cheers,
MM

Moloch38
12-14-2003, 10:07 PM
Which makes one wonder, because if you had to, you could sure beat the piss out of some one with one of those aluminium frame stays.

Sigo
12-15-2003, 12:36 AM
Thats what I am worried about the ap guards thinking. They probably see internal frames often enough and dont realize they can come out. I have been stopped for less and had to give up innocent items. Sure you could hit someone with a carabiner if you can get your hand through it but I could also stab someone in the neck with a ballpoint pen. I definitely agree with the strict security but it pisses me off that they are so inconsistent. I think the little 5'5 untrained security manager girl that made the call to take my carabiner just needed a new one for her key ring.

Eagle6
12-15-2003, 08:17 AM
As with MilitaryMoron and the others, I have traveled several times on commercial flights with my Marauder or Pointman with absolutely no problems. I have had some active duty guys come up and ask to see my gear or ask if it is the "kifaru stuff". (My packs are OD). Either of those packs are great carry-on items--easy to walk down the aircraft aisle and easy to get into the overhead bin.

militarymoron
12-15-2003, 08:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Moloch38:
Which makes one wonder, because if you had to, you could sure beat the piss out of some one with one of those aluminium frame stays.</div></div>heheh - thought of that already - check out the last few posts at the bottom of this thread back in february:
http://www.kifaru.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000080
cheers,
MM

cpt/en/ca
12-16-2003, 12:36 PM
Spotted today in the Chicago airport:

1 OD Pointman with Nalgene pocket on side and claymore on front.

akfirecop
12-19-2004, 11:48 PM
OK--SORRY TO NECCROPOST!!

Anyway--I am thinking of using my pointman as my luggage on my upcpming trip to Puerto Rico--I have a modified long pocket on each side, and an E&amp;E on the front.

I am thinking that I will just undock the E&amp;E,and take off the belt, and VOILA! good to go--any thoughts from those of you who have traveled on commercial air with the pointman? Is this gonna fit in the overhead?

Normally I would check my bag, as I usually am carrying a Gat or two, but not on this trip--and I figure if I dont have to wait in baggage claim, all the better.

BUT--that may be a moot point if I take my own SCUBA gear--decisions decisions.

Thoughts?

joelies
12-23-2004, 07:40 AM
i did have a problem with my zulu while travelling back from iraq. the german airport security did question the AL stays and requested that i remove them. i was whisked to the security checkpoint for delta and they had no problems with them at all.

i can also ditto the ease of travel with KIFARU packs. i had my zulu and 2 E&amp;E bags during my trip home. since i did not want to check my bags, the ability break the kit down quickly really helped with stowing. the flight wench was giving me a lot of hassle, but just said "wow" when i had everything stowed.

cheers,
joelies

akfirecop
12-23-2004, 08:15 AM
well, I can say this with authority--the only time anyone is gonna get beat with one of MY aluminium frame stays is when the TSA MORON tries to take it--I bet I dont get on the plane if that happens, rather I'll be in the hoooskow--- Iam gonna be PISSED if I lose my frame stays