PDA

View Full Version : Tipi favorite recipes

MikeM
01-26-2003, 07:34 PM
This topic showed up on the old board but I didn't get a chance to post to it.

Spaghetti from scratch - 2 person meal, 2 pots, 100+ calories per ounce.

1 can tomatoe paste
1/8 teaspoon of itialian oregano
1/4 teaspoon of sweet basil
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/8 teaspoon of normal salt or onion salt
3 cups of dry macaroni (elbow or shells work)
4 Slim Jims
2 pots

Empty paste into plastic bag and add all the spices before heading out. Can be frozen or will keep a week if kept cool.

Cooking instructions.
Add 1 and 1/2 quarts of water to noodle pan
Add 2 cups of water to the sauce pan.
Put them both on the stove.
Cut the Slim Jims into 1/2 inch chunks
When the sauce pan is simmering, add tomatoe paste and stir until completely dissolved.
Add Slim Jim chunks to sauce, simmer gently, needs 20 - 30 minutes cooking time, will thicken.
Add macaroni to noodle pan, cook until tender, drain using pot lid, then mix in sauce and go at it. Just tried this our this weekend. I put both pots on at the same time, by the time the noodle water was boiling the sauce was done.

Kevin
01-26-2003, 09:16 PM
Replace the slim jims with real Italian sausage, prosciutto, and some good salami, and you might have something. If you can carry a pot, you can carry in the good stuff.

MikeM
01-27-2003, 05:19 PM
Kevin, now that sounds mouth watering.

Dave R.
01-27-2003, 07:06 PM
Here's my breakfast routine...its a little wierd, but bear with me. I've been doing this for almost 15 years and I'm used to it. I like to sleep as late as possible and get my breakfast fast, easy, but loaded with energy and nutrition.

I pack raw oats, powdered milk, and Shaklee Soy protein mix.(I've been using the soy and selling it for over 17 years, I can't live without it.)

I put the oats in the pot, add water, and cook. Then I add powdered milk, and the soy protein(2 or 3 heaping tablespoons)

I eat it from the pot, then I reboil water in the same pot and add a tea bag...I Drink the tea, and I'm outta' there, hittin the trail to hunt.

This works for me and gives me excellent sustained energy for several hours before I whip out the trail food. I get about 27 grams of protein with no fat, and I'm primed for the day.

For lunch and dinner, i get more on the gourmet side...nothing that sounds a good as Kevin's spread! Now there's a TIPI that I'd like to be a guest for dinner!

Dave

Kevin
01-27-2003, 08:02 PM
Dave, you're welcome any time. We have been known to pack a case of wine in for a backpacking / fishing trip. Something about having a friend who works for Beringer on the trip...and a bunch of guys who look at a jaunt in the woods as no reason to start eating Ramen noodles. Bear in mind that Patrick brought a bottle of fine white wine and caribou meat when we went scouting for his bear last June.

Try this marinade on your steaks or fish in the wild...

1/3 cup teriyaki
2/3 cup water
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon ginger( Or just use Sweet Ginger Teriyaki and skip this step)
1 clove garlic
1.5 oz good kentucky bourbon

From the Gunsite Gossip.

For a real treat, sautee mushrooms in the marinade, with lots of butter, until the mushrooms get soft. They're so good, you'd eat them for dessert. One of my friends, the lovely Miss Judith (married to Tom, but I fix them a dinner once in a while), called it "orgasmic."

Ken
01-28-2003, 07:38 AM
kevin- You mean replace the slimjims with real VENISON sausage! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif That is a recipie I'll have to try.

Dave- Thanks for the soy protien tip. There must be lots of ways to use that.

Kmassaro
01-28-2003, 08:55 AM
Ken, I almost never eat store bought meat, unless I just want a change. We've got close to 700 lbs of meat in the freezer between my two hunting partners and myself, so if I say "italian sausage" I mean "elk, antelope or deer italian sausage." Life is good. And this weekend, pheasants.....
One of life's great pleasures as a hunter is that I eat better meat than just about anyone.

Ken
01-28-2003, 09:20 AM
...Roger that...This reminds me I've got to get my chunk meat to my dad...he's retired and said he would fit a little sausage making into his "busy" schedule...

Brian in Wyo
01-28-2003, 10:59 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Ken:
...Roger that...This reminds me I've got to get my chunk meat to my dad...he's retired and said he would fit a little sausage making into his "busy" schedule...</div></div>Now that's what we need,,,some good sausage recipes. I just purchased a meat grinder and would love to grind a little of my wild bison meat into some sausage. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Thanks Brian.

P.S.
The new Bulliten Board looks great Patrick. Many thanks to you and your great crew. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif