PDA

View Full Version : Gun Cases For Travel?

Randy
01-25-2003, 08:18 AM
In the short time I've been visiting this board I've picked up some great tips. So thought I'd throw this question out. My wife and I are headed to Africa in Spring 2004. Looking for feedback on quality gun cases for a long trip. Any of you have any experience with the TuffPak cases? Thanks!

Dean
01-26-2003, 11:50 AM
No experience with the TP but in most consumer reports that I have read the aluminum cases have beat out all of the torture tests that the baggage people can dish out. I have the 3 gun aluminum case and have travled extensivly my guns have arrived in great shape all the time with no fine tunning needed.jmho

Gary
01-26-2003, 01:42 PM
Randy
The Tuffpak gives you the advantage of packing extra clothing inside the case. Check with your airline as things have changed(again) re:bag size & weight limits. NW has reduced their size limit to 62" (lxhxw) and the weight limit to 50 lbs/bag. Anything over will cost you. It might not mean much on your African trip (you'll be getting hit with lots of "extras", I'm sure) and the little extra you pay to ship the gun case will be negligible. Where it might mean more is trips within the states where it might make the difference between having to take an extra duffel bag. It seems like a good idea to me.
Gary

Kurt
01-27-2003, 05:14 AM
Randy, I am not familiar with the case you describe, however my Browning travel vault has been excellent on a number of airline trips. The downside is it is very heavy, they helped a little with the new ones by attaching wheels on one end. I really like the way the interior is cut out to custom fit the rifles that are traveling. Good luck on your hunt. Kurt