PDA

View Full Version : Relative Suspension/Belt Differences across KU Models

Pardner
12-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Patrick or Mel,

Could you please describe the differences of the shoulder straps and belts across the 3 KU packs -- stiffness, width, thickness. Are the differences in suspension comparable to the Omni/WrapTech/Duplex or are the KU's more similar across the models? The belts look to be interchangeable so can I switch them around the packs (order the bigger pack belt on the smaller pack)? Can the shoulder straps of a larger pack be ordered for a smaller one? I have tried to read all the info that has been available but have not seen this so sorry if it has been discussed. Thanks.

Patrick
12-20-2010, 10:38 AM
Hello Pardner,

The KU suspensions are the same as our standard pack suspensions, except that wherever 1" web is used on the standards we use 3/4" web on the KU's. Yes, the KU's will interchange, so you can order belt/shoulder straps from a larger KU pack and we can install them on a smaller pack. Staff says a $30 premium will cover the the extra materials and special handling. You can spec that on the "Note" section of the Shopping Cart.

Pocket Lint
12-20-2010, 09:09 PM
:O :O :O :O wow my jaw just dropped ...

careca
12-24-2010, 02:58 AM
Patrick (or others)

Is there any advantage to having the 3700 (wraptech) suspension on the 5200 if I am not a hunter and never intend or need to carry over 25Kgs?

Patrick
12-24-2010, 07:56 AM
careca, none that I can think of...it would simply be needless expense on your part and effort on ours. Just enjoy the suspension that comes with it; you never can tell when you may need to put it to heavy-duty use and it'll be there.

Conrad
01-18-2011, 08:02 PM
So are you saying that by upgrading to a larger packs belt, suspension etc we would effectively up the load out rating? Say for instance by putting a 5200 suspension on the 3700 we now have a 100+ rated 3700? What is the extra weight involved in upgrading? Or simply what are the weights of each suspension system for the 5200, 3700, and 2200? Upping the 2200 load out really appeals to me as having a do all hunting pack with KU pockets. Drop the pockets at camp, and have a good day pack with plenty of capacity for boned out meat. As a side note the density of meat is 0.0376 lb/cu in. 2200 cu in of meat is ~83 lbs. Throw a grab it on there for a little more carrying ability, and most will not will not want to carry more than this!

My goals would probably be elk and camp in multiple trips, but I'd have buddies to help with hauling elk. And boned out mule deer in one trip. Is the 2200 with upgraded suspension, pockets, and grab-it up for the task, or do I need a 3700 to fill the big game niche and the 2200 for my day trips, general backpacking/fishing, and winter coyote hunting? All of my gear, clothing etc, is very compact, and light.

Thanks.
Conrad

Racoon
01-18-2011, 11:19 PM
If I were you I'd take the 3700 over the 2200 since the height of both packs are the same but due to the material it compresses down to the size of the 2200 very well, much better than the Cordura packs compress!

Patrick
01-19-2011, 07:25 AM
Conrad, my response to davesuvac on another thread last evening addresses your question. The three KU Suspension Sustems are progressively more robust' in ascending order according cubic inch capacity of pack. While waistbelts are interchangeable lumbar pads are not. Ergo, installing a 5200 belt on a 3700 pack will enhance it's load bearing comfort, but not identically comparable to the production 5200. It will take you from 70-plus pounds rating to 85--plus pounds or so.