PDA

View Full Version : Tipi info

Bob
01-22-2003, 05:48 PM
I got the web site from Traditional bowhunter magazine and a catalogue from the people at Kifaru and have been obsessed with the tipis ever since.I need to hear from owners.Are they really as great as they seem to be?(i hope)I like the ultralight.I want to go from a wall tent(canvas) to possibly one of these in the future.What a change that will be 300lbs+ to 11 or 12.Do they condensate when you put heat in them?Do they stand up to the wind and rain as well as they say in the catalogue?Love the new tan there talking about.Had thought about it standing out like lite bulb in the dark.Bright inside will get those lazys out of bed semi early anyway.Appreciate any comments anyone has to offer.Thank you Bob

MikeM
01-22-2003, 06:46 PM
Hi Bob - I have an 8 man ultra light. One of the first few times out a thunderstorm swept through with winds high enough to rip off some good size branches and knock a number of trees over. Tent rode it out just fine and no problem with the rain even with the stove pipe sticking out.

This is a single wall tent - no worse than any other for condensation. If I can burn wood I haven't had a problem in cool and cold weather yet. Some condensation occurs, but the heat with venting the door keeps in under control. Haven't experience 6 days and nights of rain yet so don't know what happens then - luckily.

Bob
01-23-2003, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the reply.How do you find it for interior room?Have you had a look at the 12 man inside?How many people have you had in yours?Sorry for all the questions trying to make an informed decision.I have the possibility of going up to 5 guys in camp and wondering for elbow room,socializing at night etc.Thanks again

MikeM
01-23-2003, 06:34 PM
Sorry Bob, I'll have to defer your question to someone else. I never saw the 12 man and have had only three with their gear in mine. Most of the time just two of us. Only thing I can suggest is that if weight isn't the issue and 4 or more the norm then lean towards the 12 if you want plenty of standing space.

Levi
01-24-2003, 07:48 AM
Bob, I too was in the same position you were in a couple of months ago about trying to decide which tipi size was the best, how durable are they, etc., etc. I ended up purchasing the 4 man due to its extremely light weight. We took it out last weekend and had a nice, warm evening in it. The weather wasn't very chili out, but the wind was howling! I was very impressed that the sides didn't flap in the wind like my old dome tent used to. That can get very annoying, especially in the winter when your in the tent at 6pm and don't venture out much of it til dawn the next day.

As for condensation, yep the sides got quite a bit of condensation. I've become used to condensation though as my old dome tent did the same exact thing. The nice part is that in the tipi I'm not brushing up against the sides of it all night, so really no need to worry about it.

In terms of size, I would say the larger the better if weight isn't much of an issue. I looked at the 8 man before purchasing the 4 man and it offers a substantially more standing room than does the 4. I can stand up right at the pole in the 4 man, but I'm pretty short(5'8"). I chose the 4 man though because it is lighter, and usually only me, the wife, and our little australian shephard mut will be occupying it. For the three of us the 4 man seems great(especially in comparison to our old dome tent). We got all of our gear in it along with a nice stack of firewood. I would venture to say that someday if kids come along we'll be upgrading to an 8 or 12 man though.

Hope this helps you out a bit. Have a good weekend.

Levi

Bob
01-28-2003, 06:15 PM
Thanks levi and mike.I appreciate all the comments.Helps alot.Anybody out there with any stories of rain storms etc. in these tipis that would be great.Thanks again..

Dave
02-05-2003, 08:19 PM
Hi Bob,
I have had alot of experience with both the 8 and 12 man tipi's. To me the 8-man is a great summer time tent. You have plenty of room for 4-5 people and all the gear you can bring. In the winter time I tend to bring alot more (mostly firewood) so I prefer the 12-man. The footprint of the 8-man is 15ft x 18 ft with the peak of the roof being 8ft6in. So there is plenty of room to stand around and gossip. The footprint of the 12-man is 17ft x 20ft with a 10ft 6in peak in the roof. So you can socialize about 3-4ft apart and sleeps about 8 to 10 with plenty of room. If you intend on using the tipi in winter then the SST (Sand, SNOW, and Tundra) pins are a must. Unless you dig down to the ground and use 40 penny nails in snow you wont get a good pitch. The 8-man ultra tipi is 7lbs 9ozs, and the 12-man ultra is 11lbs 1oz, only a difference of 3lbs 11ozs. So it really depends on how much you want to carry. You can put either tent in a compression sac and get them down smaller than your sleeping bag. So the size packed isn't a major issue. Once again it comes down to how much you want to carry. I guess that is the question you have to answer.