PDA

View Full Version : Cargo Chair???

Reid
12-18-2010, 05:52 PM
Love the light idea, happy owner of a G1 late season, and G2 Longhunter....always looking to save weight.

I find I do like to have my cargo chair with me and I do use it to relax at night in the Tipi after a long day. I also use it on a limited basis while glassing.

Considering my cargo chair, will it work on the new pack that potentially cuts 5lbs!!!! off of my load right out of the gate?

Mel
12-18-2010, 06:39 PM
Hey Reid, the cargo chair will not work on the ultralights, but there is the KU Grab It. I know that won't work as a chair to sit in, but you can haul a lot of gear in a KU Grab It.

Mel

Big W
12-18-2010, 06:57 PM
Will the regular old grab it work on the KU packs?

Reid
12-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Hi Mel,

Thanks for your quick reply, and by the way great looking goat! looks like we might hunt in the same neighborhood...

Regarding the Grab it, It seems like it could work as a cargo chair if I flipped it around and had my foam pad underneath me, does that make sense from your experience.

Really I mean cutting 5 pounds off of my chassis gives me much more range with food, and in the steep where I hunt it will save my legs from the hammering they take already. Love my G2, just thinking about the nice seat I love to have at the end of the long day and perhaps the Grab it is a work around so long as I have my pad?

5x5
12-18-2010, 07:25 PM
Mel or Patrick posted before that it won't. They use different size webbing and buckles.

Reid
12-19-2010, 05:47 AM
5x5,
Do I understand you correctly to mean that the Grap it will not work on my existing G2, or that the Grab it will not work as a Cargo Chair on the KU? I believe you mean the former but just checking.

Mel,
As I mentioned in my other post, will the Grap it work as a "non padded" Cargo Chair on the KU? Meaning that my padding comes from my Thermarest (or whatever pad); but, the support for my back comes from the leverage offered by the grab it attaching to my pack as a back rest.

Also would the structure of the KU architecture not allow for a Cargo Chair type set up, torsional rigidity or something?

Thanks don't me to be a pain, just want to get to the root of the matter to see my options; or creative retro fit considerations.

Thanks Again!
R

Patrick
12-19-2010, 12:18 PM
Reid, the Grab-It makes a poor chair. Its lack of structure is just uncomfortable and not secure.

As for a KU Cargo Chair, we haven't run the testing on that since the advent of our truly rigid pack stays---the previous iterations using stays of carbon fiber alone were too flexible to work with the CC. The chair itself was partly, but not completely, developed. We decided that the overall Ultralight incubation had gone on long enough and that we had a good solid line-up of packs and modular accessories and that it was time to get this program introduced to the world. But we're by no means finished with accessories for the KU packs. We'll get back to the CC as soon as we can.

Aimless
12-19-2010, 01:03 PM
If you just want it to sit on, not haul anything, what about the field chair?

https://kifaru.net/fieldchair.html

Not sure you could get as upright though as I can with my zulu/cargo chair. It does say "at any angle" If you could use a walking stick instead of that aluminum pole I would assume it'd be pretty light, also.

Reid
12-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Dear Patrick,

Thank you for the kind feedback and reply. Your CRM and entire organization is a delight to have a relationship with. I understand perfectly the need to launch a line; obviously you had invested so much in bringing it as far as you have. The simultaneous launch of so many versions, and accessories is amazing as it is.

One key element that I've notice is how much lift you've introduced in the stays. I find my G2 Longhunter fully loaded more comfortable at the end of the day (and easier on my spine) than I do a day spent with my G1 Late Season.

Your continued design and development is impressive, and I don't think for one minute that you hold back on is in a planned obsolesnce strategy. I believe you do bring us your best, as soon as you believe the product has been validated enough that it won't leave one of us stranded with a broken down piece of equipment.

I look forward to your continued innovation.

All My Best
Reid

Reid
12-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Aimless,

I do also actually pack meat on the cargo chair as well, but, that said, the real feature that I long for is a place to set my tired buns and rest my back against something as I eat my tasty freeze dried....

Thanks for the thought. ;-)

Take-a-knee
12-22-2010, 07:12 PM
As for a KU Cargo Chair, we haven't run the testing on that since the advent of our truly rigid pack stays... But we're by no means finished with accessories for the KU packs. We'll get back to the CC as soon as we can.

Good news, I think that cargo chair is worth the weight for a hunter, if for no other reason than to sit and glass comfortably (with a foam pad) and to minimize movement. Where I hunt, in the southern appalachians, you sit and glass not for deer to stalk, but for deer that, when you see them through the forest cover, are already in rifle range. Extraneous movement will get you busted every time.

Take-a-knee
12-23-2010, 06:13 PM
Looking at the pictures of KU packs, I don't see the triangular fastex attachment points for the cargo chair. Am I missing something?