PDA

View Full Version : 358/300 WSM, 375/300 WSM? Tell me more about that!!!

David Walter
01-21-2003, 07:38 PM
After visiting your excellent board a few times, I was looking around and came across these wildcats as a possible round for your rifle.

Can anyone give me more information? Who makes the dies, what velocities, load data?

I took a 35 Whelen to Africa, and EVERYTHING went down if I hit it (I admit to a few clean misses). I have been fantisizing about a 358 or 375/300 WSM.

Please tell me more!

01-22-2003, 10:22 AM
Mark Bansner chambers these on the WSM as well as others including the 416 and 470! He reports excellent reslts. Personally, I wouldn't build a dangerous game rifle on the WSM because of less than perfect feeding potential with the round.

Kmassaro
01-22-2003, 03:57 PM
Less than perfect feeding potential? Please elaborate, Brad. Thanks.

01-23-2003, 12:18 AM
Kevin, the reason militaries early-on chose long, slender, tapered and slope-shouldered rounds for military use (and by extension, *dangerous situations*) was because they can easily be made to feed well. The "new" WSM's are really not new in any way except they're short...just look at Newton's rounds from the early part of this century. This "shortness" coupled with their fat, sharp-shouldered, minimal taper profile make reliable feeding extremely difficult. By "reliable" I mean 100 % perfefect feeding 100% of the time. Proper feeding is a fine colaboration and balancing act between cartridge design and a rifles action... this includes the follower which is why Paul Mauser designed a different folower for each cartridge chambered in a 98 action. The WSM's geometry creates problems... its short profile makes the rise out of the magazine well steep... this can be a pitfall. Its "fatness" means there's more area to "hang-up" on the chamber entrance (ditto its sharp-shoulder and minimal-taper profile). This overly large diameter also crowds the magazine well creating problems for the top (#1) round because it's under extreme pressure... often this round (at least in the M70) "hang's up" under the rails because of this pressure. In a CRF action (M70) the follower spring has to create enough tension to "pop" the last (#3) round up and under the claw extractor in order to get a failrly straight run into the chamber (in order to avoid the pitfalls described above).

It's a constant source of amazement to me how little time or consideration is given to "proper" feeding by many of the so-called "accuracy smiths" turning out rifles today... punching small clusters on paper seems to be the only critereia for many as to what qualifies a quality hunting rifle.

Brad

Kevin
01-23-2003, 06:42 AM
Brad, you are doing a fine job of convincing me that my 270 needs to be loved, and not replaced with a WSM variant.

01-23-2003, 11:02 AM
Hi Kevin... I'm not "anti" WSM per say. Heck, I have a SS M70 in 300 WSM which is one reason I believe I understand these rounds after fiddling with it over the past year and a half. Still, I'd never get a 270 WSM as I really doubt the standard 270 can be improved on. It's my feeling if you need more than the 270, velocity isn't the answer, bullet diameter is! My favorite "pair" for all my hunting is a 22" bbl'd 270 and a 22" bbl'd 338 WM.

BA

Kmassaro
01-23-2003, 12:22 PM
Brad, I agree. Was thinking of a 300 WSM, but may just go 300 Win or Weatherby mag, and keep the 270 as my 95% gun. I've killed elk out to very, very long range with it, and so I'm hard pressed to claim it's not capable, anyway.

imported_tom
01-23-2003, 02:54 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by David Walter:
After visiting your excellent board a few times, I was looking around and came across these wildcats as a possible round for your rifle.

Can anyone give me more information? Who makes the dies, what velocities, load data?

I took a 35 Whelen to Africa, and EVERYTHING went down if I hit it (I admit to a few clean misses). I have been fantisizing about a 358 or 375/300 WSM.

Please tell me more!</div></div>

imported_tom
01-23-2003, 02:56 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by David Walter:

Please tell me more!</div></div>

Ken
01-23-2003, 03:18 PM
tom- if your trying to reply with a qoute, you need to go to the end of the qouted section and then start your message.

Roger Beach
12-04-2003, 12:29 PM
To David:

Tell us about your trip to Africa, and the loads used in the Whelen.

There are a lot of us out here who will never get there and we love first hand experience.

You might post some photos as well.

Roger

macman
12-07-2003, 06:20 AM
I'm building up a whelen for um.. whitetail, I simply don't need to reach beyond 250 yds.

gewing
05-16-2004, 10:43 PM
And still no ballistic information on 35 or 375/300WSM?

I have assumed the .375/300WSM would be close on heels of .375 H&amp;H. Can anyone confirm?

David Walter
05-17-2004, 03:18 AM
I went to Zimbabwe in 2000 for plains game with Mokore Safaris. Took a 308 with Barnes 180 grain XLC bullets and the 35 Whelan with Federal 225 grain Trophy Bonded Bearclaws.

I shot a zebra, two kudu (one a 58 incher), a bushbuck and an impala with the 35. All were one shot kills, none ran further than 50 yards. The smaller animals just fell in place.

My ex shot a mare zebra, two impala, a klipspringer, and baboon with the 308. After a lengthy speach from the PH about how hard to kill the zebra were, it died in place when she destroyed both shoulders with one well placed shot.

I won a parent/youth hunt in Africa at an SCI dinner. I am taking my 15 year old, Sammi, on her first Safari (my second) in July of 2005.

If you have not been, go. It was that good.

dww

hunting buddy
05-17-2004, 03:25 AM
i spoke to a gentleman who had been a big game guide up in alaska for quite awhile when i asked him as to calibers of his choice he preferred 270 for up to caribou and 338 for the larger critters hunting buddy

Patrick
05-17-2004, 05:18 AM
gewing--

358 should be just behind .358 Norma; 375 should be just behind 375 H&amp;H.

cowpuncher
05-17-2004, 10:27 AM
I have a browning stainless stalker in 270wsm that feeds perfectly. Fast slow sideways upside down it feeds great. I don't know about the larger calibers. I sold a 7mmrem mag mauser that I never could get to feed. Neither could the three or four gunsmiths i took it to. Suprisingly push-feed actions sometimes feed the best. I once loaded some 270wetherby rounds for a friend who had a push feed winchester. It would feed empty cases from any position at any speed.