PDA

View Full Version : Name the New Pack

Mel
07-21-2002, 02:37 PM
Hey guys, we're trying to come up with a name for our new pack, to be developed after the Pointman. I figured it would be cool if we let you guys contribute your ideas on what this new pack should be called. This message board (your message board), is the only one we'll be accepting new pack names from. Let me give you a few specifics on the pack design.

-Approx. 3800 cubic inches
-A panel loader
-Totally modular with PALS webbing
-New Frame and Suspension (wraps the body/very stealthy)

This pack should be available by the end of the year. When submitting names, try not to use the more common terms out there, such as recon, assault, patrol, ranger, well you get the idea. Let's hear what you got, guys.

Mel

Recce Gear
07-21-2002, 03:45 PM
I like the name your wife came up with at the Del Mar gun show, so that is my choice, for now. The Navigator.

If I come up with anything else, I'll make sure and give you guys a shout.

Gunfighter
07-21-2002, 07:41 PM
Mel,
-the Gunny Sack-
-the Gunny Pack-

I say this because the cubic inches are about the same as a ALICE large mountain ruck and the new pack sounds like something infantryman may "desire".

Gunfighter

Gear
07-21-2002, 09:20 PM
Call it the Assault
Then you can make a black version and call it the Urban Assault!

Mel
07-21-2002, 11:17 PM
Thanks guys for the input so far. How about it, anyone else out there got a name to suggest?

Mel

FishandShoot
07-22-2002, 03:39 PM
Hey Mel, Your website is awesome.
So the winner of the name contest will recieve a complementary Scout, right j/k /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif ? Ok here are some names that I came up with: "Pararescue Pack" or SPEAR
S pecial
P urpose
E vasion
A dvanced or application
R uck
The reason I chose the the name "Pararescue Pack" or PJ Pack was the fact that not many people are aware of this(Pararescue Jumpers) highly trained Special Operations group of of the Airforce that play a crucial role in times of conflict.

I will keep you updated of anymore ideas that may Pop in my head.
Thanks Brad /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

PHfactor
07-24-2002, 03:40 PM
How about, Renegade,'evader,Invader,and maybe you could do some unit names like Catamount or wolfhound. I'll try and think up some more later.
PHfactor

PHfactor
07-24-2002, 03:43 PM
How about, Renegade,'evader,Invader,and maybe you could do some unit names like Catamount or wolfhound. I'll try and think up some more later.
PHfactor

Tyde
07-25-2002, 03:39 PM
Mel
you have the "Pointman" how about just going back the patrol order for your names or make them specific for the patrol member for whom it is designed.

Patrol order:
Pointman
Compassman
Paceman
Patrol Leader
RTO
Etc...

That would sort of give a theme to your pack names.

Good Luck and Good Hunting
Tyde

eggroll
07-29-2002, 10:31 PM
Tracker
Midway "umm midway between the scout and EMR"
Rover
Trekker
Wanderer

Switching to Swahili

Kiboko - "Hippotamus"
Sokwe - "Gorilla"
Ngamia - "Camel"

snowdevil
07-31-2002, 02:16 PM
Hey Mel, Your website is awesome.
So the winner of the name contest will recieve a complementary Scout, right j/k /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif ? Ok here are some names that I came up with: "Pararescue Pack" or SPEAR
S pecial
P urpose
E vasion
A dvanced or application
R uck
The reason I chose the the name "Pararescue Pack" or PJ Pack was the fact that not many people are aware of this(Pararescue Jumpers) highly trained Special Operations group of of the Airforce that play a crucial role in times of conflict.

I will keep you updated of anymore ideas that may Pop in my head.
Thanks Brad /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Mel
07-31-2002, 03:15 PM
Hey guys, this thread is now working again. It was jammed up there for a bit, but Maggie fixed it somehow. In the process, FishandShoot's post came up again, but all is well now. Lots of good names so far, keep them coming.

Mel

PHfactor
07-31-2002, 04:11 PM
How about "Anaconda",In honor of the first major action by U.S.Troops since the Gulf.
PHfactor

FishandShoot
07-31-2002, 04:18 PM
When I saw my post pop up again I thought I was the the winner of the contest or that some else really liked my ideas /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif .... Oh well. Thanks for fixing the Forum Maggie and Mel /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif . I hope my names look even better now since they are posted twice /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif . Thanks Brad

PHfactor
07-31-2002, 04:34 PM
How about the "Kifaru Load out"or something after a mountain like "Denali".Heck I don't know but this is fun.
PHfactor

eggroll
08-01-2002, 02:20 AM
i dunno but

PIKE PACK just doesnt have that ring :-) /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

PHfactor
08-01-2002, 10:03 PM
How about bush'whack'er.
PHfactor

sak45acp
08-01-2002, 10:06 PM
How about some of our favorite military acronyms:
KISS
BOHICA
FUBAR
AWOL
UA
HMFIC
REMF (this one comes with coffee pot and all the medals you can buy at the PX).
WTF
HOOAH (or HOORAH if you tread water)

sak45acp
08-01-2002, 10:09 PM
OOOH, and then we have...
THE ARMY OF ONE! I think that would be the coolest name ever.

eggroll
08-02-2002, 01:11 AM
you forgot one

YGBSM......... iggybism

you gotta be s* me

/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Tyde
08-02-2002, 09:38 AM
Egg
you forgot

KSJ - Kick, Stab, and Jab bag, as in across the OBJ

Oooh, that would be good, the "Objective Bag". It's a little bigger than the pointman so you could put all the demo, meds, como, or whatever would be needed on the OBJ.

Also, I'm going to have to second the dislike for the mountain thing. I can't stand going to places like Cabela's and see the "Tyonek" raft or something like that. It seems that what ever it is named after, you would never use it in that location.

Tyde

5x5
08-02-2002, 07:51 PM
Hey all,
New guy here. I,ve been lurking on this site for over a year and picked up a longhunter. Can't wait to trade it for a EMR. As for the new pack ..... pathfinder?

PHfactor
08-03-2002, 02:43 AM
Since it's approximately 3800 cubes,call it the 38 special.
PHfactor

sak45acp
08-03-2002, 02:29 PM
Or while we are going across the OBJ, how about the "double tap." I was actually being a little sarcastic the other night, but in all seriousness, how about naming all the new packs after John Wayne movies and characters?
Rio Bravo
Rio Lobo
Red River
The Alamo
Rooster Cogburn
True Grit
etc, etc.

sak45acp
08-03-2002, 02:33 PM
Now I'm on roll...
How about the names of military operations from past wars (or current ones)?
Overlord
Husky
Neptune
Junction City
Rolling Thunder
Just Cause, etc. Or famous rifle designers,
Stoner
Kalashnikov
Garand
Browning
Colt
Ferguson

sak45acp
08-03-2002, 02:33 PM
Now I'm on roll...
How about the names of military operations from past wars (or current ones)?
Overlord
Husky
Neptune
Junction City
Rolling Thunder
Just Cause, etc. Or famous rifle designers,
Stoner
Kalashnikov
Garand
Browning
Colt
Ferguson

5x5
08-03-2002, 03:00 PM
Here's a good one... the marauder. From Merrel's Marauders. I still like pathfinder too.

PHfactor
08-04-2002, 03:42 PM
How's "Nomad"sound?
PHfactor

PHfactor
08-06-2002, 09:48 PM
The "Pacer".
PHfactor

Tyde
08-07-2002, 08:46 AM
MR as in Mission Ruck. You already have the Extended Mision Ruck and this one is going to be you medium size that would make your point man a SMR and the Daystalker a ESMR.

Tyde

SIGS52
08-07-2002, 05:09 PM
Hello, First post here but I'm not new to the gear scene. I'm extremely interested in this size pack. I'm presently using an EI A-III pack which is GTG for most situations however, if I have to sustain myself for any period of time it doesn't cut it. My next option is that god foresaken issued CFP-90. Out!!!

eggroll
08-08-2002, 10:13 AM
well you finally made it in

anyhow, I have an EMR and it BLOWS the sox off any issue military ruck/pack. I sold off my CFP90 and am in the process of selling off my LOWE vector loco pack.

There are plans to create an attachment interface to mate up an AIII with a EMR.

The scout lumbar pack is an excellent day/lumar design that interfaces well with the EMR and you will not be disappointed.

personally, I think it'll be hard to outmatch the aIII for its purpose, so I am anxious to see what Kifaru will eventually put out in the AIII range.

welcome to the club
egg

SIGS52
08-08-2002, 12:33 PM
Egg, I would have been on sooner but I'm presently on the other side of the planet in Kyrgyzstan doing the war on terror thing. All the inputs and info for these packs has been great reading, keep it up.

Mel
08-08-2002, 10:11 PM
I just want to welcome aboard the news guys that have come on in the past few days. We really appreciate all the input from everyone here on the message board.

SIGS52: This new panel loader will be a very stealthy pack, with some special features in store. Stay tuned, and good luck over there in the war on terror.

Mel

ibtrdia
09-16-2002, 08:10 AM
Themis FMG or Justitia FMG(Full Military Gear)

Themis
Themis is one of the daughters of Uranus and Gaia. She is the personification of divine right order of things as sanctioned by custom and law. She has oracular powers and it is said that she build the oracle at Delphi. By Zeus she is the mother of the Horae and the Moirae.
Themis is depicted as a stern looking woman, blindfolded and holding a pair of scales and a cornucopia. The Romans called her Justitia.

Justitia
The Roman goddess of justice, portrayed as a woman holding a cornucopia and scales. Later she is portrayed with a blindfold, holding scales and a sword (or scepter).

Gunfighter
09-17-2002, 05:56 AM
Hey Mel,
Since the EMR is for regular ops it seems the "Pack With No Name" will probably be used by our "special" guys. How about naming it the "Operator" (special ops love this term)?

Gunfighter

Nimbo
09-17-2002, 06:48 AM
When Eggroll called it the four-kay pack I was thinking the Foray pack would be a good name.

5x5
09-17-2002, 07:59 AM
One more - The Mars pack. For the Roman god of war.

Razor
09-17-2002, 08:25 AM
I dunno, Gunfighter. I'd say just the opposite--the EMR fills the requirements for other than normal operations, and the PWNN fits the bill for everyday, standard ops. BTW, most SOF guys (on the Army side, anyhow), would rather be called 'soldiers' than 'operators'. In those circles, the term 'operator' denotes assignment within one or two particular units, and not just anyone within SOF.

Tyde
09-17-2002, 08:37 AM
If we are going down the deiti path lets use Ares (Greek) insted of Mars (Roman). Or Aeolus (Greek) - god with dominion of the wind. Tyr (Norse) - is god of War and Justice, and like our fine soilders gave of himself (His right hand) to see that evil was locked away, so as not to harm man. Or because this is a smaller pack Otsgar(Huns) - lesser god of war. A little obscure but Aether (Greek) - god of light (Sort of a justice idea). Here's one for the "We own the Night" crowd, Hecate (Greek) or Trivia (Roman) goddess of the dark. Or Nike (Greek) or Victory (Roman) goddess of victory. Kind of funny how words don't seem to die but carry on even into other languages. here are two more. Erinyes (Greek) or Furies (Roman) the deliverers of the gods justice. And the last a bit obscure and round about, but really cool once you think of it is "Atropos". She was the one of the three Fates that cut the thread (Clotho spun the thread of your life, Lachesis measured the thread of your life, and Atropos cut the thread to end your life).

Gunfighter
09-17-2002, 12:11 PM
Razor,
I totally agree with you. However, after talking with Mel, they are sending the EMR as a possible candidate for replacing the Molle (disaster). The USMC contract wants a 6000+ cubic inch pack which I think is too much for the average infantryman. I have never needed more than 4000 but my higher ups want it. The PWNN would be good for Spec Ops such as direct action/amphibious ops/raids/jungle etc. I beleive it would be a great pack for regular infantry ops but it looks like it is not going to happen for us "regular" guys. As far as "operator" is concerned, it is used in other branches to describe those that are in special units also (not unlike my brothers in the Army). Besides, the "operators" are going to be the only ones who have the large procurement budgets to buy great gear such as the PHNN so hence the reason I submitted for the PWNN to be named "operator".

Semper fi,
Gunfighter

Kmassaro
09-19-2002, 08:00 PM
I suggested Patrick name the new pack the MinuteMan, to honor those brave men from a time well before the age of the wimp. And that pretty fits that little gem, to have you good folks ready at a moment's notice to go protect our freedoms. I saw the prototype when Patrick was bear hunting, and it looks like a sweetheart.

My son is doing so on a fast attack sub, out to sea as I write this. Thanks, guys, for helping our brave young men out.

good to go
04-25-2003, 01:21 AM
How about initials for good to go with an add on.

GTGAMP- Good To Go Anywhere Military Pack

buck
04-25-2003, 01:29 PM
Buck's Bag

buck
04-25-2003, 01:31 PM
Buck's Truck

buck
04-25-2003, 01:32 PM
The Buckaroo

Adam Stevens
04-25-2003, 11:10 PM
Hi Mell
Maybe these ,"The JaPass"(Recon jeep)
The Hedgehog
The Pegasus
The AEF
The Blue
Anyway good luck ;Adam Smamit Packs (http://www.smamit.co.il) smamit@smamit.co.il

Mel
04-26-2003, 09:04 AM
Hey guys, this thread started way back when we were looking for a name for our new panel loader. The pack in question became our Navigator. Thanks for all the responses though. One of the names posted on this thread might some day find it's way on a future pack. Right now things are a little too busy for another pack project, but we're always thinking ahead, that you can bank on.

Mel

thewolverine
05-04-2003, 09:57 AM
Hi Mel,
Since I just recently had the pleasure (actually the most fun since retirement) of meeting Patrick, Greg, and the rest of the Kifaru family and accompanying Egg up to Golden, perhaps I would suggest "Pathfinder" for a future pack.
."First in Last Out"..those guys need a ruck to fill lots of mission sets. Plus Pathfinder sounds frontierlike and goes back to another frontier hero..Maybe you could think "Deerslayer" after Natty Bumpo, aka "Hawkeye".
It was an absolute treat to visit.
Please pass on my thanks to Patrick..(I am sending thanks by mail..but u know how long that takes...even within the state)

thewolverine
05-04-2003, 10:15 AM
Hey Mel,
Realizing that a new pack may be a while..I still could not resist, hence my previous post. I also should have mentioned that James Fenimore Cooper also published "The Pathfinder" along with the rest of his frontier stories.
Hawkeye's good friend, Chingachgook would make a neat name, but u would probably have to teach people how to say it.