PDA

View Full Version : Exotic wood... from where?

mb
12-17-2010, 02:40 AM
I have one worry about the Kifaru ultralights.

The composite stays are made of carbon fiber and 'exotic wood'. Where does this exotic wood come from? I sure hope it doesn't come from illegal, dubious or otherwise unsustainable logging of tropical rainforest, and would like to be assured thereof.

A significant percentage of the exotic hardwood used for eg. outdoor furniture comes from destructive loggings of the ever diminishing tropical rainforests. I do realize that not much wood is needed for ultralight stays, but for someone who feels strongly about the wilderness this is a question of principle. Backpackers and hunters alike tend to love the wilderness, and, I'm sure, will not appreciate contributing to its destruction.

I wish I will some day go backpacking in a tropical rainforest, and I surely hope it will remain as an option for my kids too.

Steel314
12-17-2010, 06:32 AM
I have one worry about the Kifaru ultralights.

The composite stays are made of carbon fiber and 'exotic wood'. Where does this exotic wood come from? I sure hope it doesn't come from illegal, dubious or otherwise unsustainable logging of tropical rainforest, and would like to be assured thereof.

A significant percentage of the exotic hardwood used for eg. outdoor furniture comes from destructive loggings of the ever diminishing tropical rainforests. I do realize that not much wood is needed for ultralight stays, but for someone who feels strongly about the wilderness this is a question of principle. Backpackers and hunters alike tend to love the wilderness, and, I'm sure, will not appreciate contributing to its destruction.

I wish I will some day go backpacking in a tropical rainforest, and I surely hope it will remain as an option for my kids too.

There is a way to ask this simple question without getting on the eco-worship soap box.

Patrick
12-17-2010, 07:54 AM
mb, it's legitimate, legal, etc. No worries.