PDA

View Full Version : Replacement line?

GlennGTR
12-16-2010, 10:49 PM
Will the new KU ultra lights be the replacement for standard Kifaru packs? Are the G2s going to be in continued production or eventually fazed out?

Fongman
12-17-2010, 01:01 AM
Patrick answered this in another thread FYI:

I wish I knew the answer to your question. Frankly, this is a huge step for my little company, and one that has consequences. We don't know what we're going to be building in the weeks and months ahead--our traditional packs or KU's, and what percentage of which. I can tell you I've been using my UL prototypes for many years whenever I was "solo", or with folks who were trustworthy on keeping mum about what I have been up to. That, for everything--backpacking up through the biggest, baddest long range hunts. I suppose that's an answer of sorts for you, meaning that I'd predict a big percentage of our production is going to be KU's.

As for who will still prefer the Cordura traditionals, I would predict they're going to be men who prefer absolute assurance of indestructability regarding their pack. All their virtues--and those virtues are plentiful--are still there. I have complete respect for that view, and we will still produce the packs they need to fulfill that need.

So we'll just have to see where this goes. A lot of fellows are telling me that the KU's change the whole market, and I can't argue with that assessment.

Mel
12-17-2010, 01:25 AM
Hey Glen, I just got back home for the day and figured I would try to answer this question before hitting the rack. I don't see the KU packs replacing the standard G2 packs at all. They are in their own category and just give the end users one more choice of pack style. I think they will cut into the hunting line more than anything. The military G2 packs and equipment are completely on the other end of the scale from the ultralights, and in that field 1000d and 500d Cordura rule, not to mention the PALS webbing which is standard throughout that industry. I can see the KU packs being used by the tip of the spear guys for quick fast missions, or deep insertions.

So you see, what we have done by adding an ultralight line is give the end users even more choices for their needs and requirements when choosing a pack. Some guys will be all over ultralight packs, some will still prefer more traditional type materials like 500d and 1000d Cordura for their backpacking and hunting needs, and the majority of the military end users will require the most bombproof packs they can get, that have PALS webbing somewhere on the pack that will allow them to use all MOLLE compatible pockets, which are issue items throughout the military. I believe our ultralight, hunting, and military line all compliment each other and allows us to cover the full spectrum for pack choices.

Mel