PDA

View Full Version : Question on the previous secrecy of the KU line

mark s
12-16-2010, 04:38 PM
I hate to be the one who asks this, but what was the rational for keeping the development so secret? Was it to prevent competitors from developing me to products? As one of the hopelessly addicted and one who purchased a G1 longhunter a year before the G2 line came out, and who purchased a G2 spikecamp a year before the KU line came out, a heads up might affect the choices we make (but not that we are going to buy a kifaru pack). I know that this request is somewhat self-centered, but could you keep it in mind before the next wonderful kifaru thing is developed.

Fongman
12-16-2010, 04:52 PM
IMO if they had announced the hope of bringing the KU line out a year in advance, Kifaru would have been hounded non-stop. And if they were unable to bring the line into fruition they would have been hounded even more. It's a no win situation - I believe they made the right decision. It took them 11 years to see this through. I'm sure there were times they thought it would never happen.

Aron Snyder
12-16-2010, 04:53 PM
I have never really asked Patrick that question, but I'm sure it would have something to do with other companies trying to copy the idea.... It's smart business and I would have done the same thing.

After using the KU packs for the last few months, I can tell you that they are like nothing I have ever seen/used and they are some what of a revolution to the pack industry, so keeping it a secret and working out all of the bugs at the same time would seemingly be about the only course of action.

Ed T
12-16-2010, 05:20 PM
Both of the above posts are correct.

Since the UL pack program began, the entire line of military packs, the G2 packs, several new tipis, sleeping bags and clothing as well as many, many accessories have come into the Kifaru lineup. It wouldn't have made sense to announce a project that wasn't even sure of making it into the product line, let alone when.

In a decade of working with Patrick, one thing is certain, no product will be offered until it meets Kifaru standards. That may mean countless prototypes and the project may take some surprising turns along the way, but result is a higher level of gear that is seldom matched.

Ed T

Whitepalm
12-16-2010, 09:26 PM
Makes sense even if it stings a bit, I bought a G1 about a month before the G2's dropped. Ouch!

colohunter303
12-16-2010, 11:05 PM
I think it has somewhat to do with the Kifaru Rambling Rifle paradox. it was announced that Kifaru was making rifles and everyone wanted one. Only a select few were ever made and even fewer sold so if they KU line was announced years ago while it was still in development and if it never met Patricks standards (which trust me I know of a few different times that pieces and parts of this development didnt make the cut) they would have never been made and people would still be complaining.

Take-a-knee
12-16-2010, 11:52 PM
I think it has somewhat to do with the Kifaru Rambling Rifle paradox. it was announced that Kifaru was making rifles and everyone wanted one. Only a select few were ever made and even fewer sold so if they KU line was announced years ago while it was still in development and if it never met Patricks standards (which trust me I know of a few different times that pieces and parts of this development didnt make the cut) they would have never been made and people would still be complaining.

Exactly what you describe occured with Ruger's build up of the X-GI (308 version of the mini 14). They never could keep the thing from breaking. Had they kept it a secret, no one would have been dissapointed.