PDA

View Full Version : KU or "Regular" Hunting Pack (Mel?? Patrick?)

Shortdraw
12-16-2010, 11:10 AM
So it wasn't so long ago (last week?) that we would all have been raving about the virtues of the regular Longhunter, Late Season, etc. I can't believe that the KU completely eclipses the Longhunter, for example. So, who would be the more likely consumer for a Longhunter and who the KU? As somebody already remarked, the UL might not be the best choice for jumping out of perfectly good airplanes (albeit a tactical application). What's the market for those old school packs from last week?:)

Ermine
12-16-2010, 12:04 PM
My thoughts are that The ulralights are in a whole different class then the G2 packs. A completely different category of gear compared to the older packs. The G2 in my opinion are tougher and more bombproof. Guys wanting a superlight pack are going to go for the ultralight. I for one like the G2 packs and the toughness they bring. G2 have powerpull, zippers, and different features etc. (Not saying the ultralights arent going to be tough). I might not be making sense but just because the ultralights came out doesnt mean your going to see a discontinued use of the older packs. They are just two different things you know. Different stones for different birds.

Simlar to a supertarp vs a 8 man tipi. You would use the supertarp for solo light missions whereas the 8 man is for more guys.

The weight of the ultralights is amazing. They look like awesome packs. I will probably own one someday, but with that said I will continue to rock my Longhunter Guide and Late season pack. The G2 packs are more my style despite being slightly heavier.

Patrick
12-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Shortdraw, I wish I knew the answer to your question. Frankly, this is a huge step for my little company, and one that has consequences. We don't know what we're going to be building in the weeks and months ahead--our traditional packs or KU's, and what percentage of which. I can tell you I've been using my UL prototypes for many years whenever I was "solo", or with folks who were trustworthy on keeping mum about what I have been up to. That, for everything--backpacking up through the biggest, baddest long range hunts. I suppose that's an answer of sorts for you, meaning that I'd predict a big percentage of our production is going to be KU's.

As for who will still prefer the Cordura traditionals, I would predict they're going to be men who prefer absolute assurance of indestructability regarding their pack. All their virtues--and those virtues are plentiful--are still there. I have complete respect for that view, and we will still produce the packs they need to fulfill that need.

So we'll just have to see where this goes. A lot of fellows are telling me that the KU's change the whole market, and I can't argue with that assessment.

Shortdraw
12-16-2010, 12:59 PM
Thanks for your thoughts and congratulations, Patrick, on a great step forward in your line. I look forward to seeing the new packs in the "flesh."