PDA

View Full Version : KU gunbearer questions

SLG
12-15-2010, 09:11 PM
Mel,

I didn't see a weight for the new GB, and I'm curious if it is lighter. Also, the site says the new one won't work with the standard packs, but it looks like it should fit a molle belt, no?

Patrick
12-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Simon, the weight is 2oz. That's an ounce less than the standard Hunting GB. Every bit helps!

Iwill tell Maggie it's not listed (but I sure thought it was).

Take-a-knee
12-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Simon, the weight is 2oz. That's an ounce less than the standard Hunting GB. Every bit helps!

Iwill tell Maggie it's not listed (but I sure thought it was).

The gunbearer's weight is listed on the chart.

SLG
12-16-2010, 06:03 PM
I must be dumb, but there is no chart I can find that lists the weight.

The real question for me though, is not the weight but rather why the new ones wouldn't work with standard PALS belts?

Patrick
12-16-2010, 06:26 PM
SLG, technically, it will. The KU PALS system is based on 3/4" components instead of the 1" component base of standard PALS. Also, the spaces between bartacks is 1 1/8" (KU) vs. 1 1/2" (standard PALS). The upshot of inserting KU three bar sliders into 1 1/2" standard PALS gaps means a less secure hold than through 1 1/8" gaps. It's as simple as that. The KU set-up is absolutely NOT going to slip loose--I've tested that system rigorously for years. But I'm not sure about that 3/4" 3-bar staying put in a bigger slot. You are welcome to try it...I'm just giving the straight skinny on what I KNOW is secure. Till I find out otherwise I can't say that using the KU system in conjunction with regular PALS spacing is good to go.

SLG
12-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Patrick,

Thanks for the clarification, makes perfect sense to me now.

rijrunr
12-21-2010, 08:29 PM
My apologies- but I want to be clear on this point. The site says the standard bun bearer will work on the KUL. It appears to me that it is referring specifically to the portion that holds the rifle butt. Does the standard strap that holds the barrel fit the KUL as well? (What I want to know is: can I take the gun bearer off my longhunter and put it on the KUL) Thanks, rijrunr

Ed T
12-22-2010, 08:15 AM
Derrick,

The GB strap from you LH that attaches to the shoulder strap will work fine in the KU pack. Thats what I have been using.

rijrunr
12-23-2010, 03:09 PM
Thanks Ed! Have a merry christmas. -derrick