PDA

View Full Version : How about a book, Patrick?

snowdevil
01-18-2003, 03:36 AM
Category: Category 1
Date: 30 Dec 2002
Time: 11:29:37 -0500
Remote Name: 200.37.231.226

Comments
Patrick,
On a recent trip, I (re)read some of your essays and earlier detailed posts on gear, rambling, ballistics, calibers, etc. and thought, wow, this stuff and more would make a great book! Ever thought about it? Chapters from the philisophical essays to gear and equipment comparisons and experiences to detailed caliber, ballistic and load discussions I thing would appeal to a broad group of hunters, shooters and backpackers!

By the way, "The Good Life" is absolutely one beautiful essay!

Hope the holidays are treating you good!

Stan

snowdevil
01-18-2003, 03:40 AM
Date 30 Dec 2002
Time: 13:43:59 -0500

Comments
Hello, Stan --
Well, I can say this about your posting: it's the first one to leave me speechless!
Uh, so speechless that I've been sitting here in front of the screen several minutes wonder what to say next. How 'bout "are you serious"? For the record, Maggie (our Communications expert, and the gal who technically runs this website) just took a look at your posting and said she knows a publisher. Uh oh.
I'll have to get back to you on this, this thing needs some cogitatin'
Patrick

snowdevil
01-18-2003, 03:43 AM
Time: 14:33: 14 -0500

Comments
Patrick,
Heck yes, I'm serious! It's great stuff!

Go into detail, but cover the spectrum! Topics for chapters are endless, but plenty have been brought up on the forums! Add a chapter on the evolution of MountainSmith to KifaruSmith and MilitarySmith (now you've got even a broader audience - another American business success!). Hit the tipi man and put some SERIOUS thought into it. I'm telling ya' - it'd be a winner!

Stan

snowdevil
01-18-2003, 03:45 AM
Time: 21:51:37 -0500
Remote Name: 144.106.193.158

Comments
Great idea! I can only eco the sentiment. You've got a treasure trove of knowledge and a philisophical bent that gives one pause. Put me down for a copy and a few more as gifts. If you need encouragement, I've got a whole bag full I'll send

snowdevil
01-18-2003, 03:46 AM
Date: 31 Dec 2002
Time: 00:03:21 -0500
Remote Name: 209.112.208.143

Comments
I'd buy one. It'd go well with my 4-man tipi/stove.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

snowdevil
01-18-2003, 03:46 AM
Time: 00:38:32 -0500
Remote Name: 198.81.26.144

Comments
Yep, Put my name on the list too. I think the market is ripe for some serious, down to earth, backpack hunting talk. Enough of this "gotta have the latest, most powerful wonder mag, etc." to get your game.
-Dan

snowdevil
01-18-2003, 03:47 AM
Time: 11:45:50 -0500
Remote Name: 67.225.189.5

Comments
I also would buy the book. I have learned a lot from your essays

snowdevil
Time: 16:50:55 -0500
Remote Name: 216.40.208.173

Comments
Patrick If you have the time and the inclination, go for it. John in Texas

snowdevil
Date: 01 Jan 2003
Time: 19:31:38 -0500
Remote Name: 65.59.61.14

Comments
I'd buy one.

snowdevil
01-18-2003, 03:48 AM
Date: 02 Jan 2003
Time: 13:31:14 -0500
Remote Name: 208.157.230.66

Comments
Patrick, I have bought several books on hunting, shooting, and reloading from people I didn't know and had little to know reason to trust. I would have no problem purchasing sveral copies for my family and friends from someone I know and someone I trust. Keep the good stuff coming.
Tyde

snowdevil
Patrick, this really is the right call. I know several guys who have written books. Most of their books start from essays just like yours.
Once you got into this a publisher and editor would have you writing about your experiences as a "modern day Daniel Boone". They'd be pulling a "how to" book out of you about not just surviving, but THRIVING in the wilderness. Then, if those were successful, you may be able to get one out that deals with your heartbeat for America and the constraints on our freedoms and how to change 'em. Not trying to get you elected Governor of Colorado, but we've got to defeat the sissified society we've allowed to rule us and allow men to do something other than follow their wives to the mall and mow the lawn.
It starts with ideas, and yours are already on paper. A good publisher and editor would see them as a mine of raw ore ready to be smelted!
The guys I know, write, for the most part, in small increments at a time. Most do not use a computer even!
I heard the "Flight of the Intruder" author (Can never remember if it is Steven or Dean Koontz(SP?)) with Ollie North last year and he is still using WordPerfect 5.0 on a 286! Sees no need to change.
My guess is you probably do your best writing in a small journal you carry in a possibles pouch in a longhunter sitting in your chair close to the stove about a million mental miles from the nearest 7-11.
You can do it and it should be a great success. I think the angle of the modern day Daniel Boone will intrigue the widest audience, with a whole lot of how to thrive in the "wilderness" thrown in.
Please do it!

snowdevil
GNW--

Well, despite a lengthy delay due to the Board having crashed it looks like this topic is not going to go away. Your post gets to the "nuts and bolts" of actually going forward with the thing. Let's talk about that, as you have some expertise in the subject.

As an avid reader I understand that much of the proposed book already exists with the essays on this site. And I know that some writers begin with that "base". So far so good. There is more where that came from in my case, so that's covered. And Maggie coined "21st. Century Mountain Man" as a title, which I rather like the sound of. I actually checked on the publisher she recommended. Yep, after the shock of y'all broaching the subject wore off I did some investigating. I don't think that publisher is a good fit. You see, if I'm going to do this I want to combine wilderness verities with social/political/philosophical verities. To wit, I want to swat those sissies you cite down a few pegs at the same stroke. The publisher I investigated is a bit too PC, I suspect. So, Sir, do you have any information as to suitable publisher(s)? I thought of Wolf Publishing and Safari Press, but those fine outfits may not be quite the right venue for swatting sissies. First of all you have to get up beside the sissies in order to swat 'em, and reaching the readership of those firms' publications would be preaching to the choir, so to speak. Which is fine as far as it goes, I just think a wider reach, while I'm at it, would be gravy.

If this line of reasoning resonates with you, and you know of a suitable publisher, I'd like to hear about it. In any event, I'm truly honored you fellows want me to do a book. That message, coming from one's peers, is heady stuff indeed. WOW!!!!

Patrick

snowdevil
01-18-2003, 03:49 AM
Patrick,

You might try Regnery Publishing, Washington DC - they published Ted Nugent's book, so they obviously aren't too worried about offending the sissies!

Somethin' else: Have you ever seen the book on Blacktail hunting by Cameron Hanes? He writes in Eastman's quite a bit. It is a very high quality book with very nice quality paper, print and photos. It is hard bound with titles and cover photo on the cover itself, not a jacket. Pictures sort of have a satin or soft finish. I bring it up because it a real eye-catching book and a real pleasure to read (for the content AND the design. Something to consider - you ought to check it out. Publisher is CRH Publishing (which I assume is Cameron R. Hanes) in Springfield Oregon. He has a web site with same name (crhpublishing I think).

Glad to see you are giving it some serious thought!

Good Luck!

Stan

snowdevil
01-18-2003, 03:49 AM
Ooops: I mention that book not to suggest publishing through Hanes, but as an example of a very nicely designed book!

Stan

snowdevil
01-18-2003, 03:50 AM
Hello Stan--

That's exactly the kind of information I need. And it's highly appropriate that it comes from the guy who started this! Thanks.

Patrick

snowdevil
Patrick,

Also forgot to say that that book by Hanes is not a coffe table book, but rather a "how-to" book with chapters on preparation, gear, staying in shape, and even raising kids (although some of these are rather short). Seeing it might give you some ideas...

Good luck!

Stan

snowdevil
Patrick,
I'm sorry, I didn't see the post asking me about publishers.
I'll have to look tonight and see who they are.
I like Stan's plan, too.
Like most things in life, no hurry, but if I don't keep moving I never get it done!
Dick