PDA

View Full Version : Future Ultralight Products

Mel
12-15-2010, 07:41 PM
Hey guys, this is not an announcement for future ultralight products:). We anticipated many folks coming on to this forum and wishing for a multitude of new ultralight products. The ultralight program was a huge project for us, and we wanted to offer a solid basic line right out of the gate. We had to make hard choices on what to initially offer in this line up, but I think we made the right decisions for this intro. With that said, let me say that there will definately be more UL products in the future. This was a huge undertaking for everyone involved at Kifaru, but especially for the folks on the production floor. We are going to need some time to catch our breath and get caught up in production before we can introduce any new UL products. I ask that you please be patient with us for a bit. Trust me, this is only the begining:cool:. I can reassure you that we are putting all your requests and ideas in a file that we can reference from in the future, and you can believe that we also have many ideas to add to that file. In the meantime, I'm sure there are some UL products in our current lineup that you can use:D.

Mel

surrealone
12-15-2010, 07:53 PM
As food for thought, it would be wonderful to have a full line of UL accessories that could be used on hunting/tactical packs. For those with bombproof pack requirements it'd be a great way to add cubes/organization without adding much in the way of weight.

Racoon
12-15-2010, 08:09 PM
As food for thought, it would be wonderful to have a full line of UL accessories that could be used on hunting/tactical packs. For those with bombproof pack requirements it'd be a great way to add cubes/organization without adding much in the way of weight.

Indeed. To be honest, I can't see no personal use of your normal L&Ls or Chamber pockets anymore...

RockChucker30
12-16-2010, 05:09 AM
A ~6500 ci KU bag that fits the current G2 LH frame. I can only speculate at the weight savings, but I imagine it is substantial. Plus, I believe Patrick has confirmed a Duplex carbon laminate retrofit option for the EMR/LH frame that would drop ~10 oz. With the addition of a KU bag you're suddenly talking about a serious weight reduction.

The versatility would be awesome. If you need to go light, pop on the KU bag. If you need a bag that is more bombproof, throw on the 500D bag.

It should be good for Kifaru as well. I would think this would be a very popular option with existing LH owners, and there are a lot of those out there so the potential demand is high right out of the gate.

Ermine
12-16-2010, 10:14 AM
I like the idea of having an UL bag that can go on a Longhunter frame. That way you have the option of light or bombproof cordura!

Racoon
12-16-2010, 07:42 PM
everything G2 compatible:

Full line of the existing L&L made of the KU material (for the G2 packs)
UL version of the GPS pouch (universal)
KU field chair?
KU mid longs
a G2 compatible version of the KU bottle pouch (something like the current universal GPS pouch but with 2 strips of velcro for the PALS?)

so people with the desire of more rugged packs can lighten their internal load and accessories

another thought: could you replace the lining of the pouches and stuff with the white material of the KU line? I think weight savings would be substantial without sacrificing ruggedness...

Vernon
12-16-2010, 07:48 PM
I'll second the UL version of the GPS pouch. I can't really see where a KU field chair would work - I think the fabric wouldn't stay in place very well.

Racoon
12-16-2010, 07:52 PM
I'll second the UL version of the GPS pouch. I can't really see where a KU field chair would work - I think the fabric wouldn't stay in place very well.

one would need to test to find out ;)

Vernon
12-16-2010, 08:07 PM
I'll let you do that. The Field chair was the one K item I didn't care for. The ground here in the East is often damp or wet and I just didn't enjoy setting down there.

Fongman
12-16-2010, 11:53 PM
+1 for the GPS pouch.

RockChucker30
12-20-2010, 12:06 PM
It would be great if Kifaru could adapt the dual stay technology to the existing hunting line. What I am specifically talking about is offering the longer 24" stays in the Late Season size pack. I have a Pointman but would sell it in order to upgrade to longer stays because I'm 6'3" and with anything over 40-45 lbs I don't get shoulder lift.

The 2200 and 3700 will fill a niche, but I think Kifaru will always see demand for a 2000-3000 ci cordura pack capable of comfortably carrying 50+ lbs. IMO the value of the KU line is in the bigger packs because there is where the weight savings pays off most. My biggest concern with a day / 1-3 night pack isn't weight, it's comfort under load and durability because it will be my most often used pack for years on end.

The LS/PM size with 24" carbon stays would be a great pack.

Pocket Lint
12-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Hey RockChucker, nice post, +1 on that, I think I will always want a bombproof EDC pack, I'm considering buying the 3700 or higher ci pack for long trips, and an Xray and E&E for EDC and day trips.

Edit: I really think Kifaru is going in the right direction here, moving forward, and I am really stoked about the KU line, and looking forward to owning one in the future, I think they are covering a lot of bases with the new KU line!

bmstrong
12-21-2010, 12:26 PM
Well now. I left the Kifaru world some time ago and stumbled back this morning when I saw a post on the UL line. Mel, you sly dog! Very cool!! I'd like to add my vote for a Mobile/GPS pouch.

bark-eater
12-21-2010, 03:13 PM
How about Pack Cover priced to be "sacrificial" in nature, that adds a layer of protection to an ultralight pack when bushwacking and is set up to be usable as a "front porch" tarp.

duckear
01-15-2011, 12:08 AM
UL bag for my MMR frame would be very very welcome.

thewolverine
01-15-2011, 09:42 AM
A duffle/pack transporter to transport the larger KU might work..If not maybe this
http://www.rei.com/product/787296
would keep buckles and such safe

Wind Talker
01-17-2011, 01:57 PM
Since Kifaru is getting into the UL products in a big way, how about a bear bag (food bag)? If it was made like a meat baggie (or a larger boot bag, except in UL material) with 3-4 tabs on top so a carabiner could be snapped into the tab loops, this would work nicely for use with the PCT method. I said larger boot bag, but perhaps similar in the footprint dimensions, but twice as high. The one question I have would be to the actual material; single layer or dual layer like the new UL gear.

Mattb
01-20-2011, 10:15 AM
+1 for the GPS pouch. Very handy.

Ken
01-22-2011, 07:55 AM
I see things a little differently that RC and some others...:D...

I'd like an KU Daystalker/Scout sized fannypack that COULD use the belt off of the bigger KU's. UL straps and waistbelt for dedicated dayhunting. POD compatable should you need to pack out some meat on the first trip to the truck.

I've been kicking around the fanny pack idea for along time. I think I could use one for alot of my dayhunting needs. So far, I've not been able to justify one as the current DS/Scout/TG are not much lighter than my trusty old pre-G1 Spikecamp. This new platform certainly makes me wonder how light I could be in dayhunt mode, yet fully capable of first trip meat hauling...???...

Go far, go light, go fast.

berntboater
01-22-2011, 08:30 AM
I'd like an KU Daystalker/Scout sized fannypack that COULD use the belt off of the bigger KU's. UL straps and waistbelt for dedicated dayhunting. POD compatable should you need to pack out some meat on the first trip to the truck.

An UL Scout, that's what I'm looking for.

Snow-Ape
03-28-2011, 09:35 AM
I posted this seperate but wanted to lump it in with the rest of the suggestions... this would definitely be incentive to pull the trigger on another bag to use with my existing frame.

Hey, I'm usually just a lurker on these boards but I wanted to couch something with you folks regarding the ultralights... I love the idea and utility of a lightweight pack, especially since most of my Kifaru packs are from the Military Series... they're bomb proof but the nylon is heavy for short excursions where I don't need that kind of durability. Additionally... I LOVE my duplex frame. It's perfectly adjusted and I sleep with the thing on sometimes when in a harbor-site...

What I wanted to know is if anyone else would like to see the UL packs able to integrate with the duplex frame? Ya know, sold as a "bag" rather than a pack like alot of the military packs that I could pop onto my AG2 frame. Granted I know it will be heavier than the suspension system on the UL's as they exist, but I could use the same frame on both my packs for different uses... Like I said, just looking for input.

Mike

stid2677
04-02-2011, 05:30 PM
How about a lightweight chest bino pack??? One that would hold a pair of binos and a rangefinder, similar to the one in this photo only made from the lightweight material. I always have a pack like this during my final stalk and would love a lightweight one.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r233/stid2677/Sheep%202009/IMGP1875.jpg

Steve

Exploriment
04-28-2011, 12:42 PM
Can I add my voice to the people requesting just a bag that can be carried on the Duplex Frame.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about my Kifaru gear lately. (I should add that I have G1 EMR, ZXR, MOLLE Express, Scout, E&E). While I love them all, I can’t deny that they're heavy. More than anything else thoug what I miss about the packs other than the EMR is the Cargo Hauler. Honestly one of the best purchases I've ever made. I've carried kooky amounts of stuff on it - boxes, chests, wood, barrels, my nephew one time, etc., etc. And I'm sure any of you could pipe up with all the various things you've carried on it. I think it is just a superb piece of kit. When carrying the Express or ZXR, I really miss having that versatility. I've been seriouly considering getting one of the G2 Duplex frames and building several different sized bags, very simple, no frills, that I could strap on. Put the Chair between the frame and the bag, (or attach it to the frame if need be), and attach the bag with horizontal and vertical lashing straps. If I get to where I'm going and I need to go and harvest wood to bring back to basecamp, take off the bag and away I go. On portages, camera and video gear can be attached for one trip, the bag for the other.

Now, while, I'll make the bags myself if I have to, I would prefer an ultralight offering from you folks. Just some webbing loops that you could run the horizontal and vertical lashing straps through, a roll top closure, several different sizes.

Just my 2 cents.

Exploriment
04-28-2011, 04:49 PM
Oh and if you make the bags like you make the ultralight packs - coyote brown on the outside, white on the inside - maybe you could make them reversible. Have a roll top closure, with Stealth repair buckles. Take them off, turn the bag inside out, put them back on the tabs, and presto, winter or summer camo.

olesj
05-01-2011, 10:57 AM
#1 for an ultra light Day Stalker/Scout....with ability to pack meat.
Maybe something in-between the Scout and X-ray.

Jason

The Vigilante
05-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Hello Members

Mr. Smith, please give word as when the rambling rifle will becoming back? I do not own a rifle. I have looked on the secondary market for one and the price can range from 3500,.. if your stupid lucky, up to 8k. Is Kifaru still planning on making these?

Thanks,

Jbird

Take-a-knee
05-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Hello Members

Mr. Smith, please give word as when the rambling rifle will becoming back? I do not own a rifle. I have looked on the secondary market for one and the price can range from 3500,.. if your stupid lucky, up to 8k. Is Kifaru still planning on making these?

Thanks,

Jbird

Dude, you can buy a NULA for $3500. I'd reccomend a 7/08 or 308. No need to wait or ponder. If a NULA is too heavy for you, I reccommend www.crossfit.com

Ed T
05-04-2011, 09:07 PM
Glen,

The Ramblers in addition to being lighter than any NULA, also have the switch barrel feature. Although I am very happy with my Kimber's, I would welcome a return of the Ramber's.

Ed C
05-04-2011, 11:31 PM
I would like to get a rambler stock for my build.;);)
How bout it Patrick? and a GEEZER CHAIR

Take-a-knee
05-05-2011, 07:28 AM
Glen,

The Ramblers in addition to being lighter than any NULA, also have the switch barrel feature. Although I am very happy with my Kimber's, I would welcome a return of the Ramber's.

I don't know why anyone would need to switch barrels on a 308 or 7/08, and I'd be happy with my Kimber if'n I could get the blasted thing to shoot. I also believe there is such a thing as a rifle that is TOO light.

Ed T
05-05-2011, 08:15 AM
I have been pretty impressed with the Ramblers I have been around and you are right, you don't "need" thre switch barrel feature any more than you "need" more than one big game rifle, but most of us have more than we "need".

As far as the Kimber's go, I have two that shoot well and one that I no longer own that didn't.

Too light is a matter of personal choice, for sure.

Ed C
05-05-2011, 08:21 AM
I also believe there is such a thing as a rifle that is TOO light.

Mine keeps harvesting elk every year. It's a good thing I got one of the heavier ones:confused:

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u200/gunnerratlouski/IMG_0478.jpg

Patrick
05-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Vigilante, the right gunsmith hasn't showed up yet. I don't have time or the background to actually build them myself. So we remain out of production. Re switch barrels, the reasoning is not so narrow as between 7/08 and .308. Rather, the idea is a battery of say, .260, .308 and .358, which covers a goodly range of needs. Same can be said for a battery of magnum calibers.

Bedlam
05-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Don't know anything about this guy (http://extremerifleworks.com/Custom.html) or his product, but his rifles look suprisingly similar to Kifaru's rambling rifle. Do your own research and see if he fits your bill.

Ryan

The Vigilante
05-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Patrick,

When we get these rifles going, why not make your longhunters with two barrel sleeves in the pack. I would love to have a rambling rifle that has the switch barrel sysem. I dont shoot often, and shooting a light gun is never fun. but i would rather shoot a light gun once verses pack and extra 2-4 pounds all the mountains! gotta go take a final,..

jbird

RockChucker30
08-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Now that the Timberline has made its' debut, I had an idea. I would love to see a Late Season with the KU frame option of 24 or 22 inch stays, and a 500D bag with the Timberline's side and back pockets. Of course it would still have pod loops, etc, etc, that the current packs have, but I'd put the KU style belt on it so you could take advantage of the KU belt pockets.

BTW, when are we going to see KU style belt pockets that fit older packs?

sab
08-09-2011, 06:06 PM
BTW, when are we going to see KU style belt pockets that fit older packs?

RC30:

I think they do fit. I'm pretty sure I've seen one on the belt of the Timberline in some of Elk Reaper's photos.

Scott

wolfmen
08-09-2011, 08:12 PM
I attach KU belt pocket and large possible pouch on my Omni belt with no problem. they are quite secure.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j222/wolfmen07/04f6d6f6.jpg