PDA

View Full Version : RINO 120

01-17-2003, 03:51 PM
Does anyone out there have any first hand experience (good or bad)with the new RINO 120 radio/GPS?

Ken
01-17-2003, 06:52 PM
Dennis- I have the Rhino 110 and am pretty happy with it. A buddy of mine also picked one up and they work very good together. We have had some problems with some of the older Motorola Radios, (sorry but I can't recall the model #'s) We can hear them but they can't here us. The Rhino's work o.k. with everything else I tried so far (Motorola Distance DPS and some of the 6000 series). As far as the GPS unit, the unit works well. No problems at all. I love the fact that this cuts down on one piece of gear, this was the main reason for me choosing this model. Hope this helps!

Ken
01-17-2003, 06:57 PM
BTW Garmin has offered us to send the units back to be checked as a precaution. I'll update this thread when we get them back if you would like.

01-17-2003, 08:06 PM
Ken, you might look to see if those other radios have a interference eliminator code and or an eavesdrop reducer. I have some Motorola 6220 radios and I had to turn off the eavesdrop reducer to get them to function with some older model Motorolas. You might look into this, it took me a bit to figure this out. whats your opinion with the GPS mode of these units? How accurate are they and how well do the pick-up/ track the satellites?

Ken
01-21-2003, 10:09 AM
Dennis- I'll check on the codes and eavesdrop functions, I think we looked into this already but I'm not sure, it's been a couple of months. The GPS locks on quick if you have a good amount of sky, if not it takes a minute or two. I've been in some pretty thick Hemlock and Balsam swamps and I've been able to lock on. I usually move into the biggest opening around and have no problem. As far as accuracy I have plotted all of my markers into Terrain Navigator topo software and things always hit where they should (road intersections, hunting camps, stream intersections etc). All my navigation attempts put me within reason. A lot has to do with the accuracy of the intial reading, for instance I marked our tent camp this year and the unit said the point was accurate for 50 feet, when I switched to the navigation mode the unit wanted me to move 50 feet, even though I hadn't moved, this didn't surprise me though because the original mark was only good for 50 feet, do you follow me?. Given reasonable observation time, I have no doubt this thing will get you where you want to go. I wasn't too impressed with the quality of Garmins sofware for the 120, the Terrain Navigator software that I already had looks better, but it won't load into the 120 according to Garmin, so I opted for the 110, which has better battery life. For me it was spend $250 for the 120 and another $100 for Garmins software, OR $170 for the 110 and use the Terrain Navigator. If I'm headed into an area, I use the software in advance to drop a bunch of random points into the reciever at key topo features (mountain tops, stream intersections, beaver flows), plot out a topo map including these markers, and then check my position relative to these periodically during the day to monitor my movements. With the 120 you could just load a map and go, either way it really takes the guesswork out of scouting new, unfamilar areas. Hope I didn't ramble too much and this will be helpfull for you.

01-28-2003, 10:47 PM
Hey all,
We carry both of the new RINO models from Garmin at our site at 169.99 about $30 cheaper than Walmart. We are really into the outdoors and we only sell what we use. take a look, and leave an email for Mike or Pat and let us know what you think...
I carry a full line of other GPS units at my site: http://www.gearedfornature.com