PDA

View Full Version : Left handed short actions

01-16-2003, 07:07 PM
For any interested southpaws, I recently checked the Browning web site and they are offering the short mags in both the A-Bolt Hunter and Micro Hunter. They are offering standard short actions in the Micro Hunter. Quite a selection for left handed actions. I would bet remington will follow soon. Also, they are now offering a .358 in the lever action BLR. Dan

Dan D
01-17-2003, 05:46 PM
I am replying to my original message. Just checked the Remington site, they now have a .243 and .308 left handed BDL listed. Dan

4214chip
01-18-2003, 10:13 AM
Dan,

Winchester is also scheduled to produce some left hand WSMs this year in the M70 classic Fwt. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I have read on another forum that Browning will begin production of their LH WSMs in October. Hopefully the Winchesters will be out sooner than that. It nice to see that some of the gunmakers are finally producing more rifles for those of us that do things the right way...left handed /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

For an interesting site on the shortmags, check out <a href="http://www.shortmags.org" target="_blank">http://www.shortmags.org (http://www.shortmags.org)</a>

Bernie P.

Dan D
01-20-2003, 04:49 PM
Thanks for that info, I will check out the Winchesters also. Dan

4214chip
02-01-2003, 03:33 AM
Dan,

I had a chance to check with the special order gun buyer at Cabelas today about the Win 70 LH Fwt shortmags. He made a call to them while I was there and they told him that they expect to have some available during the early third quarter of this year, perhaps July (?). They would not take an order yet, since they were not sure exactly when production would begin. I did not check on those available through the Win Custom Shop, as those are too pricey for me.

Chip

Dan D
02-01-2003, 04:53 PM
Chip,
That sounds like the stories I have been getting from dealers on the short mags. I guess we will just have to wait a little longer. I did place an order today for a Remington BDL in .308, it is supposed to be here in late March. The standard short actions are apparently in production now.
Dan

alpine_ingenuity
02-08-2003, 10:45 PM
Dan, I bought my first left handed bolt gun in 1988, and it was a Steyr Mannlicher. I remember looking in vain back then for an American manufactured left handed rifle. Anyway, I saw mention of .243 and .308 700 BDL's being made. Just to let you know, I ran across (and purchased) a left handed Rem 700 Varmint Synthetic in 22-250 that had been a special order the fellow didn't pick up. It had been sitting on the dealer's shelf for 2 years and he sold it to me for cost ($502.00 out the door). So, I guess the Remington folks have been quietly coming around for us. Take care.

4214chip
02-09-2003, 07:13 AM
alpine,

Welcome to the board, and congratulations on your good find. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif I purchased one of the same when they first came out. With the loads I have worked up for it, it will shoot 5 shots into one ragged hole at 100 yds. when I do my part. Enjoy your new toy...get after those coyotes.

Bernie

BOWSONG
02-10-2003, 08:34 AM
DON'T FORGET SAVAGE HAS MADE LEFT HAND ACTIONS FOR YEARS. FAIRLY LIGHTWEIGHT TOO AND THEY SEEM TO SHOT VERY WELL.

Kmassaro
02-10-2003, 08:39 AM
Patrick told me the Savage is 6-8 oz heavier than a Model 7 Remington. At that difference, I think you go with the 700 long action, and get the benefit of the magnum cartridges. 7mm Rem Magnum and 338 would cover the whole North American continent, and if you add a 375 barrel, good for almost everything else.

I'm sure it would get your attention when it comes back, but the 358 I shot was really quite pleasant.

shu
02-11-2003, 10:51 AM
Kevin--

Is that weight difference for the action only? I think the short-action Savage (entire rifle) is about 4 oz more than the Model 7. The long action Savage is a good 10 oz less than the Model 700.

I would be a whole lot more likely to buy another Remington if it didn't have that stupid lock on the bolt shroud....

shu

Kmassaro
02-11-2003, 11:21 AM
Shu,

He may have been talking about what it would weigh after being put on a diet. The Remington, being tubular steel, is easier to machine. I think parts of the Savage may not be so easy to pare down.

Garrett Accur-Light used to publish a brochure with the weights of the various actions. Perhaps someone can enlighten us with an updated version.

4214chip
02-11-2003, 12:53 PM
The following weights of full actions (bolt, guard screws, trigger guard, magazine liner, trigger assembly, recoil lugs, follower and spring) - everything except the barrel, stock, scope and mounts. Listed in lbs, oz.

Remington 700 short ADL ............. 2, 3 1/2
Remington 700 short BDL ............. 2, 4
Remington 700 long ADL .............. 2, 6 1/2
Remington 700 long BDL .............. 2, 7
Remington 600 ....................... 1, 15
Remington 788 long (.243, .308) ..... 2, 11
Remington 7.......................... 2, 2
Mauser Mark X ....................... 2, 15
Sako medium (current production) .... 2, 5
Sako long ........................... 2, 13
Ruger short dovetail receiver ....... 2, 6
Ruger long dovetail receiver ........ 2, 8 1/2
Weatherby Model 70 post-64 .......... 2, 13
Weatherby Mark V .................... 3, 3

This info is from the Brown Precision web site,
<a href="http://www.brownprecision.com" target="_blank">http://www.brownprecision.com (http://www.brownprecision.com)</a> I hope it will answer some questions. Savage is not listed.

Bernie

shu
02-11-2003, 04:35 PM
Kevin--

I can see where the Savage would be more difficult to trim down safely. I like 'em (especially the 3-position tang safety) but wouldn't recommend them for a custom gun. That would pretty much defeat their purpose.

And thanks for the action data, Bernie. I found it very informative. If I remember correctly my Savage action (long) weighs in right around 2.25#. It has a blind magazine so that may account for the discrepency between other long action weights.

Figuring about 3 oz less for the short action, the short Savage probably weighs about the same as the Model 7 -- but without much room for improvement.

shu

Kmassaro
02-11-2003, 04:51 PM
Shu,

I agree, the Savage has the safety where it belongs. All other designs are not as good. It's a pretty good rifle as far as I can see. I'm thinking about getting one in a 300 Win Mag, and experimenting. Problem is, I keep using the 270, and it's been proven good out to a measured very long ways on elk.

What about the A-Bolt? At least the safety is where it belongs....and they make a short action LH WSM, but not with a glass stock. At least not yet.

Don't you love this board? Post a question and someone you don't even know posts a great answer.

Outstanding.

Dan D
02-11-2003, 09:14 PM
Kevin,
I have an A-Bolt in .300 win., I like it. It is stainless with synthetic stock. I am not real impressed with the stock, but you could easily replace it.
Nice features are the 60 degree bolt, tang safety, and a hinged magazine that is also a detachable box, you can let the hinge down and your shells stay in the box and don't fall onto the ground or into your hand.
Downside, most custom gunmaker don't want to mess with them too much. Dan