PDA

View Full Version : Stuff And Things

Patrick
01-12-2003, 05:50 PM
To all--

Perhaps I'll start with some thoughts about the New Board format we find ourselves dealing with here. I was out rambling and scribbling (GreatNW has me pegged, I do most of my writing "out there" beside a tipi stove) last week during most of the "crash" period. When I returned and sat down at the computer to see what y'all were up to...and there was NOTHING, well, I was disappointed to say the least. Turns out I had got into a bit of a habit--checking the doings right here. And, like all habits that are unsatisfied, I got the fidgets. Withdrawal symptoms, really. Anyway, Maggie simply HAD to switch us to this new format. Seems the old format software was just not able to handle what has become a very large Message Board. We would have had to "erase" much of the "archived" postings from the old Board. We were not willing to do that. There is simply too much valuable technical data preserved there. I have heard many times of people digging around in our last three years' postings for tidbits of useful infornmation. Like, for example, the existence of the great Gerber saw, or Kevins Hunter-specific Swiss Army Knife. We longer term readers have all chased down these gems and own 'em, but what about newcomers to the site? Or what if I want to dig back and find an Internet seller of some optics I can't live without? It's all archived. And it's going to stay there.

If you will remember we periodically had to "archive" the old Board--whenever it started to act goofy. Maggie did it by periodically saving what had been posted up to certain date and then starting a new "current" Board. Then she made a "link" so we could see older, saved, postings. I think we were on Board 3 when this latest crash occured. Folks, we very nearly lost Board 3. I don't understand exactly how Maggie did it, but she has "it" somewhere. Problem is, she can't just archive it in the same way she did the old Boards 1 and 2. So she is going to put it into this format we are using right now. It will take a while, and all the re-postings are going to look a little weird because they'll have Snowdevil (Maggies moniker--she's a telemark ski nut) on them and you'll have to look at the posting itself to discover its real posting date. And so forth. Also, she is only going to re-post the technical posts. Which means messages between us of an "appointment" nature (such as "say, are you going to attend the 2002 FNAWS Convention?") will disappear forever. Well, events in 2002 are gone anyway, so I hope y'all don't mind.

This new format is both good and bad. Bad because it's more cumbersome to tell at a glance what's going on (at least to me); but good because I see Nevada Dan has figured out how to put photos up. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We could never do that before. Maggie says she's gonna try to put up some insructions on using this new format. Stand by for that. (Hey, I'll bet even Maggie will be one-upped by Dan's triumph. Plus I see he's even put up his own instructions for photos. Impressive!!!) And be patient as she re-posts Board 3. If there's something you remember being on there and need to reference it just email Maggie at the address she has posted here above the new Board and she'll get back to you. In fact, she called me yesterday about a question on site-in, and I told her to email the fellow back with the message that he could also find that info in the Essays, and so didn't have to wait for digging thru the Board 3 postings. Also, in the meantime, anybody who has a need to reference Board 3 CAN just ask the question again right here. Chances are good whoever has the info will just re-supply the data.

And so on. This is where we go from here. As I've said, I have come to really like this communication with you guys. I reckon some of you feel the same. One thing I'm having a little trouble with regarding the new format is where do I post "general" stuff? I'm not even sure how to describe what I'm talking about. How about those "appointments" I talked about above? Under this format if I were to tell y'all that I'm going to be out of town from Jan. 20 to Feb. 4 attending Conventions (which I am) do I really need to start a whole new "Topic" to do that? If so, I can foresee a Hunt Board Home Page that is very, very long someday. So. Maybe if y'all just want a "place" for continuous...can I use the word "chat"?...this Stuff And Things location just might fill the bill. I don't know, just thinking ahead. Maybe this new format will prove more flexible than I think. I'm not exactly internet savvy, as you've noticed. No sir, not a Nevada Dan by a long shot!

Shoot straight everybody!

Patrick

01-13-2003, 10:43 AM
Patrick, I suggested the UBB format to your webmaster around three years ago as a much better alternative to the format you were using... he responded it wasn't possible?! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Regardless, when folks get used to UBB they'll eventually like it better than the old format as it's more efficient... you don't have to "scroll" through endless posts. If a topic is "hot" it stays at the "top" (with the old format good topics with good responses were down at the "bottom" and got little attention and "new" responses from those coming to the discussion "late" were missed).

Good move, and about time. I never cared for this site because of the awkward nature of the old format.

Brad

Patrick
01-13-2003, 11:29 AM
Brad--

Well, better late than never. Stick around this time!

Patrick

snowdevil
01-13-2003, 12:08 PM
Brad, Nevada Dan - thanks. We've been using UBB for our Military guys for awhile with success. Having our old boards crash may have been a blessing in disguise. Still, a learning curve to be had by all, myself included.
The fact that Dan could post photos is a wonderful feature. It's not easy - the image apparently has to come from an existing website (storage).
Thanks for the input - Maggie.

01-13-2003, 12:19 PM
Patrick, I plan to stick around! I'm a backpack/hunter and there just aren't that many sites to find like-minded folks!

Maggie, good job! The ability to post photo's is another good reason in favor of UBB... another is you don't have to keep "clicking" on each response to a topic in order to read each response... that gets tedious! There are many more benefits to UBB which will become apparent in time to all willing to try it. Too, I think registration is good... it gives people a sense of comittment, community and accountability. I also find it informative to know where people post from as that does tend to influence ideas and choices... it's nice meet folks from all over!

Best Regards,

Brad

MikeM
01-13-2003, 05:12 PM
Patrick, how about an internet "how do" topic for a few of us less talented folks. As an example that reflects my skill level is there a spell check somewhere in these options?

Bruce in Spokane
01-13-2003, 10:16 PM
Patrick/Maggie: Bravo on your new UBB.Classic! Its going to be nice to have these photos plus a SEARCH function that really works! Patrick - to get a feel for how this style of message board works, check out The Diesel Stop at <a href="http://www.dieselstop.com" target="_blank">http://www.dieselstop.com (http://www.dieselstop.com)</a> (a website for Ford diesel motor heads).

They are using the UBB.Thread which seems to be much more robust at only $229 vs $199, and seem to have a pretty good system for topics and subtopics. Check it out if you haven't already,it should give you a good feel for how to organize our board. They also seem to utilize some trusted senior board contributors as volunteer administrators also, to help address the issue of setting up topics, and generally helping to keep their board organized. Infopop' website indicates UBB.Classic is upgradeable to UBB.Thread w/o losing anything.

By the way, tried to reply last night to your Stuff n Things, but all I got was the following error message:

I was unable to unlink NonCGIPath/Forum3/forum_3.threads: Permission denied at CGIPath/ubb_lib_files.cgi line 64.
Please inform the board administration of this error so that they may fix the problem. Thank you

Also tried to inform you Maggie of this error message via your "contact us" webmaster@kifaru.net, but got error message saying the address didn't exist.

Anyways, good job and good luck. Love this board (even more). Bruce.

Patrick
01-13-2003, 10:32 PM
Bruce--

Maggie will look into all of above. Thanks.

Patrick

Nevada Dan
01-13-2003, 10:47 PM
Bruce, I ran into the same problems as you did Sunday night. A question, for registered members, does the Diesel Stop Forum show how many new replies have been added since you last visted the forum? These would be the little red number next to the black total replies number)? I know its a feature on some ubb forums.

Man, poor Maggie, lots of work /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif , Humph!

-Dan

Bruce in Spokane
01-15-2003, 08:50 PM
Dan - Yes, those same little red numbers. It makes it really quick and easy to see at a glance what is new. Some other features too, like being able to reply directly to you, either publicly or privately through the UBB or even through our own ISP emails, with the ability to request acknowledgement of receipt; a "signature" feature of who or what your interests are that will automatically post (if you so choose) at the bottom of each of your posts. There is an option you can choose to auto scroll to the last post, which is handy when you click on a topic thread with the little red numbers.

It (UBB.Thread) just seemed a lot more robust, but then I don't know much about this version (UBB.Classic), and have only used the diesel stop forum for about a week, plus I expect Maggie is just getting her feet wet with this one.

I agree, Maggie has her work cut, she has my sympathies, and appreciation. Bruce.

Nick
01-20-2003, 06:57 PM
Patrick,
There is a fine message board called 24-hour campfire that has a very good layout for ease of use and organization of topics. Similar to this but somewhat more topic organized. Check it out. I'm curious about your opinion.

weagle
01-20-2003, 11:37 PM
Patrick, I always thought this site had a bunch of great information, but it was very tedious to search. I love the new format.

Good shooting,
Weagle

snowdevil
01-21-2003, 07:11 PM
I just wanted to thank everybody for their patience while this mess got straightened out. Bruce - thanks for the heads-up on the upgrade. I hope to get that onboard within the next week or so.
Also, what is everybody's thoughts on registration? I noticed one guy is in favor of it, but I don't want to turn anyone away who may fear "Big Brother" tactics(though info required is minimal).
Thanks in advance for your opinion... Maggie.

jaeger
01-28-2003, 03:05 PM
I'm new here and though this probably isn't the forum I'm hoping Patrick can help me out. A friend of mine who runs the City Creek Motel in SLC says you've stayed there over the years at conventions and what not, name of Loren Ronnow. I'm interested in your Rambling Rifle. Loren thought you might be in town for the Outdoor Retailer Show, but in looking around on the last day I could not find your booth. I missed the show in Reno and was wondering where you might suggest I go to pick up the rifle to get a feel for it. I can't say in looking at pictures if the gun might be an aquired taste or not. Either way, as with any gun purchase, getting a feel for it is a good idea. Maybe Al Wilson here in the state could be a resource. Any ideas on how to get in touch with him or any suggestions at all? Thanks very much, Justin Peterson

MikeM
01-28-2003, 06:45 PM
Jaeger - try sending an EMAIL to KIFARU, it might reach Patrick faster, since he is on the road right now.