PDA

View Full Version : Conventional rifle (sub 5 lbs-maybe)

JF
01-12-2003, 11:46 AM
Well:

It all started innocently enough. A guy that I see out shooting occasionally, bought a Rem. Ti with a pretty wrecked stock (looked like it had melted) We mucked around with it at the range one day last summer trying to get it zeroed. It was just warped too badly, so I suggested that he look into an aftermarket stock. I saw him in town some time later and he mentioned that not only had he not bought a stock, he had taken it out a few times and managed to lose the bolt. So, I bought the remains from him for a song. Leaving me with a Ti bbl. action (no bolt) in a caliber that I already own.

After much deliberation I started out on the quest to build a sub 5 lb. scoped rifle. As it stands, the barrel is ready at Krieger (custom contour, 21" in 7mm) The action is being lightened and the magazine box extended to 2.950 as we speak, and will be done wednesday. I have the stock (Bansner) waiting. So I'll see how close I can get.

All the metal work will probably hit the target weight. However, the weak link is the stock which is going to hit about 20 oz. finished. I was reluctant to try a Lone Wolf because I'm dubious that they can hit their advertised weight without being very flimsy (if they can hit it at all). I have an MPI that is supposed to be 14 oz. but it is actually 20, and is not very well done to boot, so I won't go there either.

The weight of the bbl. and action may surprise me, but I don't think I'll quite get there (5lb). I'll probably hit about 5 lb. 2 oz. with a Leo 4X33 or 2X7 compact. Caliber will be 7X57.

It should be finished in about 8-10 weeks.

JF

posimag
01-19-2003, 07:23 AM
JF, Are you going with the power grip? All the boys I hunt and shoot with like the power grip and some have went to work on their for-ends . One of the meat hunters took a radial arm saw to his, looks fine but I do not care for the sharp edges. I did one of the MPI stocks and it turned out just fine, I am going to do a few more MPI stocks as soon as I can find the time.
JF keep us posted with all of the steps as you go. I can always learn some more.
Thanks Posimag

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pointer
02-20-2003, 08:59 PM
How's the project coming?

JF
02-21-2003, 08:47 PM
Pointer:

Waiting on Kreiger......today, they said "Call us next Wednesday" We'll see.............

JF

02-24-2003, 08:24 PM
Brown Precision used to have a stock called the pounder. Weighs one pound, made of Kevlar.

JF
02-25-2003, 03:27 PM
7mm:

BP still has the "pounder" but that is not the finished weight. They are closer to 18-19 oz. all in.

JF