PDA

View Full Version : Lewis & Clark Rondy location (Feb 4-6)

evanhill
11-30-2010, 06:00 PM
Here is where the 2011 Lewis & Clark Rondy will be held on February 4th through 6th:
Ok, maybe the location needs to be narrowed down a bit -- we'll probably not be able to find each other by asking native americans "where the starving white guys are".

As a refresher, this is a backcountry winter rondy, requiring that you be able to get a couple of miles back in under your own power on skis or snowshoes. The general location is the vicinity of Spokane so the Puget Sound guys and the Oregon guys and the Idaho / Montana guys can all attend together.

This is shaping up to be a very good snow year, so there should be lots more areas open to snow travel than in most years. I'm starting my research now that there is snow on the ground. Since I'm not in the Spokane area, it is harder. If you've got suggestions on good areas within maybe an hour of Spokane, please PM me.

We're looking for:

Decent winter access to trail head or parking spot without chaining up
No snowmobile area
Preferably not a normal groomed winter recreation area. Some years, that's the only option. This year, we should be able to do a lot better.
Thanks, and please save these dates on your calendar.

oldpinecricker
11-30-2010, 11:52 PM
Evan.

I'm currently out of country and arrive back home Dec 9. If there location ideas I can scoutthem out preemptively. If there aren't any solid locations no worry. I'm pretty familiar with that part of the world and know where some suitable locations can be found.

evanhill
01-09-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm quickly narrowing down locations. I didn't find anything in the Couer d 'Alene area that looked very promising, but an hour north of Spokane out of the town of Newport is currently looking good. Still have some feelers out, and OPC hasn't visited any sites yet either. We'll get the exact UTM coords nailed down with plenty of advance notice though.

oldpinecricker
01-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Ive checked out rondy sites and boy do things suck. We've had warm weather and rain past two weeks and now there's quite a bit of flooding. My creek next to me is about to flood me out and ive already got 1' of standing water on my lot. Its susposed to snow tomorrow so they say.

There are some serious water and drainage issues at this point.

scothill
01-17-2011, 12:07 PM
If weather cooperates the next couple of weeks does the site work? We are in the same boat here, and it is a bummer after such a sweet start to the year sking wise.

oldpinecricker
01-17-2011, 12:23 PM
Most likely if it cools off and snows. We are susposed to have snow tomorrow and I hope so as we have too much rain and warmth.

If we need a location with better snow condtions I have two of them in mind along the I-90 corridor that will get it done.

evanhill
01-18-2011, 10:30 AM
If the weather doesn't get colder, maybe we consider a trip that is deliberately below snowline? I'm not a fan of slogging through the snow in the rain. I've been on a few of those trips. Don't need more if I can avoid it.

Of course, if OPC can come up with a spot that is above the rain line that would be ideal. At least in our section of the Cascades, it has been raining even at the crest recently.

At this point, please PM or email me if you want to be put on the list of potential attendees who will be notified of exact location when we have it pinned down. So far I know of:

OPC
Scot
Superbadger
Kyle
SLG
Big W
Kevin B
GlennGTR
David in OR (WA)
Snakey
DP
ChristianH

SuperBadger
01-18-2011, 05:30 PM
It snowed about 5'' in Government camp today. Hopefully it gets colder. Also, definitely not a fan of slogging through the sleet/rain- Did that in the Ochocos.

SLG
01-18-2011, 07:06 PM
This is sounding bad. I built a pulk just for this trip, an exact copy of Superbadgers. Well, exact except for all the features and attention to detail that made it look great:-) Nonetheless, it would be cool to try my not-so-much-like-superbager's-pulk in some good snow. If not, then I guess I'll have to get used to carrying my things on my back again. How..barbaric.

SuperBadger
01-18-2011, 07:40 PM
Well, either way I'll have to tote along my 03A3 for you to check out. I would like to see your pulk! I was hoping to test mine out this week up here in government camp, but I didn't have room to bring it along in the car.

SLG
01-18-2011, 08:44 PM
Well, either way I'll have to tote along my 03A3 for you to check out. I would like to see your pulk! I was hoping to test mine out this week up here in government camp, but I didn't have room to bring it along in the car.

I definitely want to see that 03! As for my pulk...maybe my post wasn't as well written as it could have been. Your pulk and my pulk are similar, only in that they are homemade pulks. After that, well, yours looks professional and really functional, and mine looks...homemade. At least the "sled" portion is big enough to hide your 03 in;-)

oldpinecricker
01-18-2011, 10:17 PM
As everyone knows we lost an huge amount snowfall in the past two weeks. There still are locations with adequate snow. Currently it is snowing lightly in our valley bottoms and the high water level has receded.

There are mountain canyons and ridges still fulll of snow and I will try to get out tomorrow and check them out.

I am pretty confident that we'll get up and out of the rain and ill have an place where you can use those pulk sleds.

disillusionedpatriot
01-20-2011, 04:48 PM
I've got 2/4 off, would want to carpool from the Seattle area. Mark me as tentative still.

oldpinecricker
01-20-2011, 09:03 PM
An update on the snow and weather situation.

The flooding has stopped. And we have nightly temps into the teens. Yesterday I trekked about in the Wallace area and despite the heavy runoff and warm temps there was plenty of snow. Today I was going to go into the Priest-Newport area again to check out snow conditions but the roads were really slick and we got an powdery 5" of fresh snow down in our low elevations with more up higher.

So conditions are looking good and ill take one last trip to the NE area out of Spokane in the morning and see how the roads held up and how the snow level is doing and stake out rondy locations.

evanhill
01-21-2011, 10:40 AM
Appreciate all of your scouting efforts, and looking forward to a great rondy.

Ed T
01-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Any update on a location. Whether I am able to make depends on where its held. Approximate location will do or PM me with more specific detail.

evanhill
01-24-2011, 03:01 PM
Worst case scenario for you is 1hr north of Spokane near the town of Newport, WA. OPC was up there this weekend and found a spot that he liked, but we haven't talked in depth yet. If he decides that he likes something closer to his home in the Idaho Panhandle, it will be closer to Helena than Newport.

Bushcraft
01-24-2011, 07:12 PM
So, did this get bumped out a weekend or two?

;-)

SLG
01-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Is anyone leaving from or traveling through Missoula to get to the rondy? If so, would you like a passenger? I promise I don't snore...

evanhill
01-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Rondy directions are going out today. Look for them in PMs.

evanhill
01-29-2011, 12:53 PM
To hell with PMs -- 2 user limit, wait 2 minutes between submissions. Look for email from me or email me if you need directions.

scothill
01-30-2011, 12:32 PM
If there is anyone who is interested in coming, but is letting lack of gear hold you back, speak up. Someone can probable help you out.

SLG
01-30-2011, 01:11 PM
Will we be cooking on a rugged fireplace, or on our tipi stoves?

snakey2
01-31-2011, 09:43 AM
I have people out which puts me on emergency call. Unless they heal quick (by Thurs) I will be missing this one (expletive deleted).